Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

twistedmentat posted:

LGR (formerly Lazy Game Reviews)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLx053rWZxCiYWsBETgdKrQ
After Cinemasscare, my favorite youtube game channel. A good natured chill guy, Clint reviews a lot of old PC games in addition to console and modern games. He tends to finish reviews with "Yes, no, maybe!" acknowledging what he doesn't like may be what someone else does. Something rare in a reviewer. He does an amazing Duke Nukem impression and his Sims videos are hilarious. I also enjoy his Thrifting vids.

Seconding this guy! His hardware videos are also really interesting, one of my favourites being him building a custom 486:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbjYkPKRm-8

He's got a ton of humour, a nice voice and deals with some awesomely obscure titles at times, here it's Race the Nags:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mv_WqgE30k

He also did LPs on LGR Plays, notably his entire The Sims 1-2 showcase (starring Duke Nukem!), but stopped doing those a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=show?lgrplays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

He does Sims 4 stuff becuase EA sends him codes so he can review them.

And it's great that he still calls out their crap, whenever something's overpriced or suffers from bugs.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

More people need to watch Ahoy, such an amazing channel.

His updates are infrequent, but it's like a surprise Christmas every time. Everyone needs to go through his Nuclear Fruit: How the Cold War Shaped Video Games videos.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I kinda liked the Bullshit Man's mask, shame he was cowed into not using it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I can't stand Ryan's face or his voice, but he's got insight and sound opinions.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

The Thing was a game with some really cool ideas to it that just couldn't really be done at the time, it's not that big of a stretch to give it a look over and think it's pretty neat for some of it's concepts.

The worst loving thing was the blood tests, as the NPCs changing to Things was triggered by moving past certain points, so it was a completely useless feature. It did give a boost to party morale, but it didn't do its intended purpose.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah I remember Spoony's old rear end video on it

I miss Spoony making good material.

I also miss his site actually having all of his old stuff.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

That little piece of music they've started using for their discussion videos, it's from something.. But I don't remember from where.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

I thought he was like a wedding videographer then AVGN took off and was his main.

That's RLM.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

the Mortal Kombat movies' biggest mistake:

It wasn't the Street Fighter movie.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

teethgrinder posted:

Finally watched Polybius and drat that was one of the better things he's done, period. Even his acting was convincing enough to lead you on for a bit...

It all fell kinda flat for me, and I couldn't watch it in its entirety. I was all Polybius'd out from watching Ahoy's video first.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

It's nice that he manages to work his interests in horror, B-movies, and practical effects into his game reviews, a distinct little niche.

His Castlevania four-parter was a work of art. Although I can't help but feel a bit drowzy when he's going through that awful N64 title.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

The funny thing is Linkara has dropped the skit stuff for the most part. He just occasionally does a review as another character.

Oh, really? I haven't watched it in years because the skits got obnoxious.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah he's outright dropped the skits and dumb plotline stuff. And the character stuff gets reserved for his special series like his October horror comic series.

I kinda liked it, when his skits were just the frame for his reviews. But when he began having ten minute dialogues with Microsoft Sam or another guest star about jumbled nerd stuff, then it just became tedious.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

elf help book posted:

Bad early 3D games are so ugly that it's hard to even follow what's going on in clips like he uses. Look at his The Crow for Saturn review.

His reviews of 3D games aren't as... I want to say cozy, as his NES reviews. They feel like he's just trying to plow through it, without trying to at least look for SOMETHING redeemable.

AVGN works best when he's playing games from his childhood; he's justifying the entire system's existence, starting from the bottom.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Is it correct to say Ryan is the worst? He's like the redlettermedia Josh of Cinemassacre.

His body and voice distracts me from what he's saying, and that's kinda bad, since I think he's actually okay at playing and talking games.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

I know everyone loves the Souls series, but as a sad sack adult I just don't have the time to either Git Gud or delve into the lore.

I got immense satisfaction from figuring out the first dude I encountered was weak to a strike to the head, but that alone took me like 20 minutes.

It's a dancing simulator in my eyes. And the sorta-multiplayer-but-not-really thing bugged me to no end.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Fighting's just you dancing through patterns, and the multiplayer's limited to such a degree that it might as well not be there.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

“Dancing through patterns” could describe combat in like every game ever

You know what I mean, it's played by methodical trial and error. Or in other words, it's more like a puzzle game.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

So basically, like 99% of games with combat.

If you distil what I say into pushing buttons, then sure, why not.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Though LGR is much more attractive than James.

Especially when he's making awesome soups and sandwiches, hubba hubba. :kimchi:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I've more or less tuned out from anything non-Nerd or Monster Madness-related. It's getting a bit Channel Awesome-y with all these people.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I don’t know if you’ve read the recent news about Channel Awesome but it can’t be nearly as bad as that

I have not, what's happened? Last I read was something about people in droves.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There’s a lot but one of the worst things is that it turns out JewWario was grooming and sexually assaulting underaged girls and they covered it up for years after he killed himself

Oh come on, sheesh. I thought it was just something about mismanaging the site.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Ah, so it'll still show up on his site later on?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I just can't stand the pacing of JRPG combat. The concept of Earthbound is at least interesting for a review.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t really like those videos. The other guys are boring and I wish James would do more solo movie videos.

Dunno why they insist on putting the most repugnant guy front and centre, standing and all.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Is that racist tub of industrial lard still alive?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Backhand posted:

I don't know anything about this Boogie guy admittedly, but it IS possible to be a centrist, you know. Not everything has to be either 100% one way or the other. If ethical / social issues were truly that simple they wouldn't be such persistent problems.

When one part of the argument wants gay people locked away in cages or murdered on the street, then it's not the time to make compromises, no.

This is hyperbolic, of course, but going from Boogie's idiotic beliefs to that is surprisingly easy for some people.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 1, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

sponges posted:

Mike is the reason we won’t be seeing Bootsy ever again so maybe

I just want more Board James. With Bootsy. :(

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

My golden boy Kikoskia will never break my heart! Never!

Because he's the minorest of minor LP guys on youtube. :ohdear:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Is he still doing stuff?

Another Barbie game? Oh, I must watch that!

He's the most consistent LP Youtube guy I've ever cared about. Daily uploads, every day, since he started eleven years ago.

E:

He's been uploading at least one video every day for a couple of years now, he didn't use to. But he has never missed an upload, because he prepares them in bulk.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I like his skits, especially the golden years stuff like the Joker and Bugs Bunny episodes. The Lloyd Kaufman one was also great.

It's when he gets into a ten minutes shootout with an inanimate object, that I can't be bothered.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m not usually a fan of his skits but Gilbert is always good.

That insane bit on Norm Macdonald about eating out a dead Hitler springs to mind.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Anything that isn't NES or SNES and his brain seems to get scrambled by strange new button layouts :smith:

The NES/SNES AVGN episodes are the best, anyway.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

iamsosmrt posted:

The thing is, while he wasn't "great" at the early AVGN games, he beat a lot of them, and considering he was always doing it on an NES, it's impressive. I figured he was playing the character up more as less competent for stories, but he still had basic fundamental abilities to play, and the things he pointed out as flaws were usually pretty legit issues.

He mentions in some video, that he does cheat to get further into games for his AVGN material.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

I love Bootsy

Please come back, Bootsy. :(

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yeah. I might have Ryan's name wrong. He's Mike Matei's fat friend who does videos with just him. I'm pretty sure he somehow has some level of ownership over the channel and all those random guys are his guys

Cinemassacre is turning into Channel Awesome! :gonk:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

iamsosmrt posted:

Were these guys Channel Awesome castoffs?

I don't think these guys were anything, but seeing that one, non-creative type on the team bring it all to ruin sounds dangerously close to what happened at CA.

Well, outside of the grooming thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Isn't she the one with all the porgs?