Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I've been to Scottsdale before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

Chinatown posted:

Update:

code:

High pollution advisory for Maricopa County including the greater
Phoenix area through Tuesday... 

The Arizona department of environmental quality in Phoenix has
extended an ozone high pollution advisory for the greater Phoenix
area through Tuesday.

This means that forecast weather conditions combined with existing
ozone levels are expected to result in local maximum 8-hour ozone
concentrations that pose a health risk. Adverse health effects
increase as air quality deteriorates.

Ozone is an air contaminant which can cause breathing difficulties
for children as well as persons with respiratory problems. A decrease
in physical activity is recommended.

If your from Southern California you should be used to this by now, considering how Phoenix has less ozone pollution than almost every city south of San Fransisco.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

freezepops posted:

If your from Southern California you should be used to this by now, considering how Phoenix has less ozone pollution than almost every city south of San Fransisco.

99.9% of my time is spent within .5 miles of the ocean so maybe but I dont know. I just enjoy the ocean breeze. :grin:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'm gonna kick the OP's ASSSS

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
If you're gonna poo poo on Phoenix it's best to stick to it being hot and boring and Arpaio (and the nonexistant public transportation, I'll grant that). The traffic and pollution are quite a bit better than other cities of its size and the city's almost too well-planned out, like it was designed by someone trying to apply the "donut grid" methodology from Sim City.

Whenever I visit somewhere else I'm always reminded how much I take for granted how easy it is in Phoenix to just put on whatever clothes and walk out the door and jump in your car and know pretty much exactly how long it'll take you to get where you're going because you don't have to worry about rain or shoveling snow or having to warm up your car.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I sometimes miss the sweet embrace of Arizona heat stroke when you first enter a car that was outside with the windows up. At first it's like a sauna, the heat wraps around you like a snug blanket. Then your eyelids begin feeling heavy and as you close your eyes you wonder, for just a moment, if you should take a quick nap. Five seconds later you struggle to breathe as you reach to the passenger side for a dirty towel so you can touch the steering wheel without burning yourself.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Hope u run out of gas in the desert op

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why do you live in a desert? We have cities now for humans and others.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i live in phoenix and i drive to san diego once a month because that's an objectively better place to be

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I'm almost there I stopped in the middle of the desert in a town with a bunch of old and somehow still running motels.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 16, 2016

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
why not just fly? gently caress if I'm driving more than 3 hours anywhere

I'm in Seattle this week and flew here but it would have been like a 26 hour drive or some poo poo

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Nuts and Gum posted:

I sometimes miss the sweet embrace of Arizona heat stroke when you first enter a car that was outside with the windows up. At first it's like a sauna, the heat wraps around you like a snug blanket. Then your eyelids begin feeling heavy and as you close your eyes you wonder, for just a moment, if you should take a quick nap. Five seconds later you struggle to breathe as you reach to the passenger side for a dirty towel so you can touch the steering wheel without burning yourself.

also a accurate metaphor for banging ur mom

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I don't get reimbursed because technically I'm an independent contractor so it's literally a quarter the cost so whatever.

It also gives me yet another excuse to eat fast food.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Well that's some loving bullshit

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
don't take any flights with Malaysia Airlines

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBr7EhL6Jpg&t=109s

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
i drove from la to phoenix once and it suxored. Goldmine

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
lol gila bend

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007
"Phoenix shouldn't exist UGH so unsustainable"

*lives under constant threat of tornadoes flattening their city or in danger of biblical floods and hurricanes or in a state that could literally break off into the ocean at any moment*

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
those aren't examples of a lack of sustainability tho

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

El Golden Goose posted:

"Phoenix shouldn't exist UGH so unsustainable"

*lives under constant threat of tornadoes flattening their city or in danger of biblical floods and hurricanes or in a state that could literally break off into the ocean at any moment*

of these disasters tornadoes are the least consequential if the most common

the biggest tornado is going to only ever destroy a small portion of a large city, as opposed to a serious earthquake while will gently caress up all of socal

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Aschlafly posted:

Let the guy be angry about Phoenix, seems like he needs this.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phoenix is pretty awesome. The weather only sucks for 3 months out of the year, and AC mitigates that. The roads are excellent. Traffic is only bad for a couple hours, and it's not even that bad compared to other cities. The grid pretty much makes it impossible to get lost. And you could buy a house for the price of one month of SF studio apartment rent.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Every town between LA and Phoenix is like Big Tuna from Wild at Heart.

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

Aschlafly posted:

why not?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I got wings and a Cobb salad for dinner.

The sports bar is nice and appropriately located in an office park which is basically all of Phoenix.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 16, 2016

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Chinatown posted:

Yes sadly I do not have time for recreation other than walking 2 blocks to a mediocre sports bar tonight and eating a cobb salad or hamburger with my blue moon beer and then going to my room and watching ESPN until i pass out.

that sounds like vacation to me

:(

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I'm doing the same except drinking a beer and watching ESPN in the hotel room and also will be passing out shortly since I'm still on eastern time and have a 6am pacific call I need to talk coherently on

oh well

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
By the Time I Get to Phoenix is a decent song op.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
op should go to Winslow Arizona and look for a girl in a flatbed ford

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
i feel like "unsustainable" typically means "wantonly wasteful of natural resources" rather than "vulnerable to being wiped out by a freak disaster"

besides doesn't phoenix have sandstorms and occasional flooding too?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

jackyl posted:

op should go to Winslow Arizona and look for a girl in a flatbed ford

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

OctoberBlues posted:

Let the guy be angry about Phoenix, seems like he needs this.

Half of my resentment is probably just because I sweat like a bastard and hate having to drive places. I lived in Germany for four years and never had to drive anywhere. It was paradise.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Aschlafly posted:

I sweat like a bastard

:siren:lose some weight:siren:

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
Yeah thanks but I'm naturally twig skinny. my high school bodyweight was about 135 (at 5'11") and I was still a sweaty pig then.

These days I'm closer to 180 but it's muscle, so that poo poo isn't going anywhere

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Going to bed. Room is comfy. Gonna eat a donut at my meeting tomorrow morning then leave Phoenix immediately.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Please capture the Phoenix serial killer for e-cred.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

el B posted:

Do the hookers still hang out on VanBuren?

Nope, Washington now.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
that place is like the Florida of the west, I sincerely hope you're not raped and beheaded or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016
If I were to go to a place called Phoenix I would expect a statue of a Bird or something. Something I could take a picture of and remember, hell, better yet, I want it to be a cool enough of a statue that I don't have to have to take a picture of to remember. Big red bird, with like feathers made of red onyx, I'd ride the hell out that thing. If it flew i'd ride it straight back to heaven. Not Phoenix is hell but from you gentlemen I hear its a bit warm. Some like it warm though so who knows.

• Locked thread