Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Way to gloss over all the other cool Nazi poo poo that we already knew about in Poland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Hustlin Floh posted:

Way to gloss over all the other cool Nazi poo poo that we already knew about in Poland.

thanks elie wiesel

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
Did they find it?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

" "Polish" "death camps" "

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Sokrateez posted:

" "Polish" "death camps" "

you have insulted the feelings of the Polish people

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

there's a bunch of nazi gold up my rear end if anyone feels like rooting around in there

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

there's a bunch of nazi gold up my rear end if anyone feels like rooting around in there

Do you also have a train up there?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I actually read that entire new yorker article in the OP and have to say those treasure hunters are either total nut jobs or deserve their own movie. Maybe both.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
If they find a train full o' gold, that should be enough to drop the global price per ounce noticeably. I'd guess at least a drop of $50/ounce.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

Blistex posted:

If they find some mint condition German tanks, they're almost worth their weight in gold to private collectors.

I bet they would prefer to find tanx. It would be more likely for no one to gaf about them and they would get to keep/sell them.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

HoboZero posted:

Another line of research to consider involves the assumption that the birth of a century is fixed upon the founding of the USA in 1776, thus Century One is 1877-1976 and Century Two is 1977-2076. Something having to do with a "white house", "freedom" and a medal (see image 2's Fort Sumter), palms on ribbon bars, in 1977, the birth of Century #2, First Lady Bird Johnson received the Pesidential Medal of Freedom.

How might Lady Johnson be connected with May 1913 or something relevant to Charleston?

In 1972, First Lady Pat Nixon traveled to Africa with former First Lady Bird Johnson,

I find it interesting that they delivered a speech at the inauguration of William Tolbert (born May 13, 1913). This African travel story about the 36th and 37th First ladies is a little more accessible to a 1981-based audience than a 68 year old magazine article. Furthermore, Tolbert is the grandson of Danial Frank Tolbert of South Carolina who sailed from Charleston to Monrovia on the Azor on April 21st, 1878 (Liberian Exodus).

Acknowledging the Edwin and Edwina reference in Abroad in America, means recognizing this individual: Edward Wilmot Blyden (3 August 1832 – 7 February 1912), the father of pan-Africanism, an educator, writer, diplomat, and politician primarily in Liberia. I think it's clear that some deep African/Charleston research was performed by Preiss.

Looking again at the verse,

Harken to the words:
Freedom at the birth of a century = Lady Bird Johnson, recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1977
Or May 1913 = an issue of National Geographic or the birth of William Tolbert in Africa
Edwin and Edwina named after him = Edward Wilmot Blyden
Or on the eighth a scene
Where law defended

The use of the word "or" would indicate some particular connection between the Freedom and May lines, so the focus on Lady Bird Johnson and her trip to Africa to meet Tolbert should lead the searcher to relevant thing or place in Charleston. Perhaps the Blyden line supports the May 1913 line by stimulating some geographic thinking about Liberia.

I'm beginning to think we must hearken to the words of Lady Bird Johnson delivering a speech in Liberia. I'm also beginning to think her name is important to picking up on the relatively obscure news of a murder scene on April 8th of 1873 when lighthouse keeper Andrew Johnson killed his wife. Since I've used the internet to reveal most all of these details, I'm still unsure how people would proceed to make each discovery in 1982. Anything is possible, but it seems only a Charleston resident would have the privilege of hearing the gory tale about a monster in their own backyard. I don't know what source would apply to paying attention to the events of the First Ladies. These days I only hear about Michelle Obama by watching Jimmy Fallon. Maybe Ed Sullivan reported on Pat and the Bird in 1971...(before my time)...but I don't really know what source would best be used in 1982. I'm Urban Smurf and I'm quite literally special in the weird way

what the sweet gently caress does this have to do with the OP

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

That Robot posted:

what the sweet gently caress does this have to do with the OP

It was a cry for help. "Please probate me!" is what I read into this.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I took it as a joke about those book picture treasure hunt mysteries that have had that thread for years upon years but who cares what i think

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Biscuit posted:

I bet they would prefer to find tanx. It would be more likely for no one to gaf about them and they would get to keep/sell them.

I guess it depends if the gold/tanks are on private property or government land, and what types of salvage rights people have. Some places have limits on found treasure, so anything over "X" amount of dollars (or whatever the local currency is) goes to the government. A tank like a Panther/Tiger or something even more rare like one of those odd Flak Guns would be going in the tens of millions of dollars, while something like a Panzer IV might only go for a few million. Anything more than a bar or two of gold would probably revert to the government, and the finders would probably get their expenses covered and either a percentage of the find or a capped lump sum.

I don't understand Polish and don't know what their laws are, but I'm pretty sure previously scavenged WWII tank have required large fees to the government before they could be sold to private collectors.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
what's up with autists and trains?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Egbert Souse posted:

They left, like any sane person would.

I can't find any pictures of it online, but I would have said "gently caress this" as soon as I went in. The unnatural smoothness and pockmarks from being hand carved made it creepy. The tunnel kept going forever until they got to the closed off portion.

It was a really good episode and yeah those tunnels were p creepy !

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

once they start digging, maybe the nazis who are still down there will help dig from the other side

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
It is a well known fact that the Elite Schwanzkopf unit of the SS disappeared in this area of Poland in 1945.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Parallax Scroll posted:

once they start digging, maybe the nazis who are still down there will help dig from the other side
But what if they've already adapted an underworld of eternal darkness? Are we truly ready for subterranean nazi vampires?

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Neutrino posted:

It is a well known fact that the Elite Schwanzkopf unit of the SS disappeared in this area of Poland in 1945.

Actually a lot of nazis disappeared into the ground in this area ca 1945

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

genesplicer posted:

gene

i admire you for putting up with this sort of chicanery in addition to teaching full time

cnut
May 3, 2016

Neutrino posted:

Schwanzkopf

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

genesplicer posted:

No, it was a repost from Urban Smurf, Duke of Obnoxious Spergery, who was humorously paged by someone else just before my post. It was taken verbatim from the still-active treasure hunt thread full of ridiculous treasure hunting theories right here in GBS, which was double- referenced via invoking Urban Smurf's cursed name at the very end of my post just in case something didn't quite click. Not exactly top-notch larfs I admit but goddamn sorry to awaken the Elder Snark Vanguard or whatever

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Did they find the what was in the dead nazi box yet? Was it a hellboy?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

But for the record I'm down to lick your b-hole or whatever like a straight bro gene, we're totes cool

E: it was indeed a wee Bellboy
E 2: rrgh phone

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Awesome. Glad they finally found something worth a drat for once instead of a bunch of rusty old junk that only skinheads and middle aged basement dwellers care about

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Finally... relics of world war two...

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Gold is cool from a monetary point of view, but sort of boring. I'm hoping it's something really outlandish or unique.

- Pristine tanks
- V-2 rockets
- A massive amount of paperwork on secret Nazi projects
- Hitler's mobile S&M dungeon
- A few cattle cars of priceless art and artefacts
- The amber room
- Goering's model train set (because it's on an actual train)
- 20,000 Rogue One blue ray disks. :tinfoil:

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
i wish america would stop hating russia & automatic weapons long enough for their captured nazi guns to come onto our markets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Bundle of Keys posted:

Do you also have a train up there?

An overlooked gem :golfclap:

• Locked thread