Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Another line of research to consider involves the assumption that the birth of a century is fixed upon the founding of the USA in 1776, thus Century One is 1877-1976 and Century Two is 1977-2076. Something having to do with a "white house", "freedom" and a medal (see image 2's Fort Sumter), palms on ribbon bars, in 1977, the birth of Century #2, First Lady Bird Johnson received the Pesidential Medal of Freedom.

How might Lady Johnson be connected with May 1913 or something relevant to Charleston?

In 1972, First Lady Pat Nixon traveled to Africa with former First Lady Bird Johnson,

I find it interesting that they delivered a speech at the inauguration of William Tolbert (born May 13, 1913). This African travel story about the 36th and 37th First ladies is a little more accessible to a 1981-based audience than a 68 year old magazine article. Furthermore, Tolbert is the grandson of Danial Frank Tolbert of South Carolina who sailed from Charleston to Monrovia on the Azor on April 21st, 1878 (Liberian Exodus).

Acknowledging the Edwin and Edwina reference in Abroad in America, means recognizing this individual: Edward Wilmot Blyden (3 August 1832 – 7 February 1912), the father of pan-Africanism, an educator, writer, diplomat, and politician primarily in Liberia. I think it's clear that some deep African/Charleston research was performed by Preiss.

Looking again at the verse,

Harken to the words:
Freedom at the birth of a century = Lady Bird Johnson, recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1977
Or May 1913 = an issue of National Geographic or the birth of William Tolbert in Africa
Edwin and Edwina named after him = Edward Wilmot Blyden
Or on the eighth a scene
Where law defended

The use of the word "or" would indicate some particular connection between the Freedom and May lines, so the focus on Lady Bird Johnson and her trip to Africa to meet Tolbert should lead the searcher to relevant thing or place in Charleston. Perhaps the Blyden line supports the May 1913 line by stimulating some geographic thinking about Liberia.

I'm beginning to think we must hearken to the words of Lady Bird Johnson delivering a speech in Liberia. I'm also beginning to think her name is important to picking up on the relatively obscure news of a murder scene on April 8th of 1873 when lighthouse keeper Andrew Johnson killed his wife. Since I've used the internet to reveal most all of these details, I'm still unsure how people would proceed to make each discovery in 1982. Anything is possible, but it seems only a Charleston resident would have the privilege of hearing the gory tale about a monster in their own backyard. I don't know what source would apply to paying attention to the events of the First Ladies. These days I only hear about Michelle Obama by watching Jimmy Fallon. Maybe Ed Sullivan reported on Pat and the Bird in 1971...(before my time)...but I don't really know what source would best be used in 1982. I'm Urban Smurf and I'm quite literally special in the weird way

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

genesplicer posted:

It was a cry for help. "Please probate me!" is what I read into this.

No, it was a repost from Urban Smurf, Duke of Obnoxious Spergery, who was humorously paged by someone else just before my post. It was taken verbatim from the still-active treasure hunt thread full of ridiculous treasure hunting theories right here in GBS, which was double- referenced via invoking Urban Smurf's cursed name at the very end of my post just in case something didn't quite click. Not exactly top-notch larfs I admit but goddamn sorry to awaken the Elder Snark Vanguard or whatever

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

But for the record I'm down to lick your b-hole or whatever like a straight bro gene, we're totes cool

E: it was indeed a wee Bellboy
E 2: rrgh phone

• Locked thread