Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Moridin920 posted:

Israel is demanding any gold be turned over to them

Source?

quote:

"Our geo-radar images show that there is a train with vehicles on it," Focken said, suggesting that the vehicles could be tanks.

If they find some mint condition German tanks, they're almost worth their weight in gold to private collectors.

Haier posted:

This sounds fun, but hopefully those decades of soggy tunnel humidity didn't warp all the cool stuff.

The Nazis were pretty good at hiding their poo poo in locations where it would be protected from the elements. Salt mines were really popular, but if they picked a rise in the tunnel, and it's sealed up well, it could possibly have really good characteristics for preserving stuff. I'm always amazed how well preserved stuff is in bogs. Don't know how many tanks they've pulled from swamps in Russia and Poland that all they needed to do was hose them out, change the fluids, and they started up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

dookifex_maximus posted:

actually now i'm wondering what would happen if you introduced a bunch of oxygen to a bog, like get a series of tubes with punctures along the side and an air compressor and really aerate that goop up

Something that smells like a Magic the Gathering Convention?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Moridin920 posted:

just a joke but it seems plausible doesn't it?

I'm picturing the last scene from Schindler's list where Oscar is lamenting how he could have saved more people, but in reverse.

"A bar of gold, I could have bulldozed 300 Palestinian homes with a bar of gold. . . a missing Monet! I could have JDAM'ed a school in the Golan Heights with the money from that painting!"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Came here to make this joke :(

Seriously, though, various groups demanding, or outright taking, anything they find seems plausible enough. Why are these dudes giving press conferences right before they might uncover stuff? Wait till you find it and move it somewhere safe and decide what to do with it before you start talking idiots!

Guessing that they didn't have the capital themselves to get this search and excavation off the ground and had to get other parties involved who wanted a little publicity. Publicity can also get you even more backers in short order, and I would not be surprised if there were other teams out there closing in on the area and this crew decided to go for broke and get as much attention and money as possible to get digging before someone else gets there first.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

spud posted:

Pretty loving convenient to find an entire train full of gold.

I think ISIS is involved somehow.

"Give me back my loving gold assholes!"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Biscuit posted:

I bet they would prefer to find tanx. It would be more likely for no one to gaf about them and they would get to keep/sell them.

I guess it depends if the gold/tanks are on private property or government land, and what types of salvage rights people have. Some places have limits on found treasure, so anything over "X" amount of dollars (or whatever the local currency is) goes to the government. A tank like a Panther/Tiger or something even more rare like one of those odd Flak Guns would be going in the tens of millions of dollars, while something like a Panzer IV might only go for a few million. Anything more than a bar or two of gold would probably revert to the government, and the finders would probably get their expenses covered and either a percentage of the find or a capped lump sum.

I don't understand Polish and don't know what their laws are, but I'm pretty sure previously scavenged WWII tank have required large fees to the government before they could be sold to private collectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Gold is cool from a monetary point of view, but sort of boring. I'm hoping it's something really outlandish or unique.

- Pristine tanks
- V-2 rockets
- A massive amount of paperwork on secret Nazi projects
- Hitler's mobile S&M dungeon
- A few cattle cars of priceless art and artefacts
- The amber room
- Goering's model train set (because it's on an actual train)
- 20,000 Rogue One blue ray disks. :tinfoil:

• Locked thread