Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The interaction is really helped by the fact that this game is fantastic to look at and watch in motion. Odin Sphere is a game with a genuinely good plot, awesome art, and the original had good ideas but some clunky implementation in gameplay. This one seems way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
So does this game let you "grind"? You said mobs don't respawn, but I think retrying areas was mentioned? Seems like it might be "useful" for harder difficulties (for levels and also resources, I suppose)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can go revisit areas you have beaten on the world map.

Your problem with getting S ranks on every stage is because you spend your phozons on gaining health instead of drinking potions during battle to heal a more manageable amount of health. The phozons spent on growing food could be used to make your attacks stronger and get those time bonuses that are about halfway towards an S rank. It would also make those long battles much shorter with upgrading skills that kill off the chaff more quickly.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It's still possible to watch the prior LP by My Name Is Kaz. Just about any LP on the archive without a currently extant video host was grabbed by archive.org, and thus on such LPs there's a big banner near the top that provides a link to the rehosted videos.

On the topic of editing options, what capture card do you use? What file format does it output? What sort of compression is involved? Does it record at a constant frame rate or a variable frame rate? I recall having similar issues with making my Happauge device play nice with AviSynth before, when the same sort of audio desync occurred any time I tried importing into the latter. (In my case, running source videos through Handbrake to convert them to CFR helped.)

And since you brought it up at the end, "Mercedes" is apparently a name of Spanish origin referring to the mercy of the Virgin Mary. So there's no real mythological connection, but as an ironic statement on folklore it works. (After all fairies are usually known for their lack of mercy!)

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I actually didn't actually know that banner existed. Ah well. I wanted to get the game anyway and am really glad we did. Experiencing the story in full together has been a really awesome journey for us. I'll keep that in mind though if I find an LP I want to watch that was hosted on viddler and blip.

As for my capture. I use Hauppauge HD PVR 2 gaming edition. The main audio desync isn't with the video though, it's for my recorded audio. For whatever reason Windows Movie Maker (which I realize isn't anywhere near the best editing software), will desync imported audio that I edit. Which is obviously fixed by me just editing it before hand. Basically work in WMM and Audacity at the same time. But as it stands for this and the Mario Party LP we're doing we're keeping it casual enough that I'm not over concerned about it for these threads. We're not planning on running into the same issue later on and if we do I'll just do what's needed to edit out whatever is needed. Between this thread and the next one I'll be looking into some other editing software. AviSynth being the top of the list.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Your problem with getting S ranks on every stage is because you spend your phozons on gaining health instead of drinking potions during battle to heal a more manageable amount of health. The phozons spent on growing food could be used to make your attacks stronger and get those time bonuses that are about halfway towards an S rank. It would also make those long battles much shorter with upgrading skills that kill off the chaff more quickly.

I have noticed battles taking a bit longer than before. Not that they're harder, it is just taking longer to kill things since the attacks aren't quite as strong. It's a really nice system though that lets you decide what your preferred levelling style is. That said, we may grind in the future on previous levels if we feel it necessary. Off recording of course.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
loving fairies. And elves, for that matter.

Well, we drove Oswald to suicide by grim reaper. I feel like a gigantic rear end in a top hat just watching that.

No, but seriously, where do we go from here? Hubby's dead. Banished from home. What is Gwen's next move? Is there even a next move? I'm panicking here.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

bman in 2288 posted:

Well, we drove Oswald to suicide by grim reaper. I feel like a gigantic rear end in a top hat just watching that.

No, but seriously, where do we go from here? Hubby's dead. Banished from home. What is Gwen's next move? Is there even a next move? I'm panicking here.
Obviously find the Queen of the Netherworld and kick her rear end.

But honestly: "I'm going to kick the Fairy Queen's rear end and get back my wedding ring, wanna come along (no actual co-op implied)" would have been good...

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Yeah, just trot right on down to underworld, stick your spear in the queen of death's face and demand your man back.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

That seems like a pretty viable option as the last three chapters have been nothing but trotting on down and making demands of the royalty.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Logicblade posted:

Yeah, just trot right on down to underworld, stick your spear in the queen of death's face and demand your man back.

Enter Hades Through Violence: Kill 6 Billion Demons.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

6 Billion is in no way an understatement. I really have to wonder at this point just how many people and things Gwendolyn has killed.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Just checkin' on you guys. Everything okay?

Since this LP started I've scoured my hometown for a PS2 copy of Odin Sphere and Grim Grimoire, with no luck. At least Amazon has the game for fairly cheap.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Everything is going absolutely fine. We'll have the next episode up this week as scheduled.

I also searched out city for a copy a long time ago with no luck. We only have one EB Games, with the only other stores being Walmart, Best Buy, Source, and Superstore to get lucky with video games. Other than that you need to hope to find things at the pawn shop. I'm not sure what it is that makes this game so rare. But it's worth it if you can get it.

That said, I still haven't played the PS2 version, or classic version so maybe that's not the case and you should just get Leifthrasir for the PS4.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
If you want to play the PS2 version, emulation is an option. That's how I played it. I did run into some annoying slowdown in various places, and I'm not sure if that's up to my PC or the simulated PS2.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I went ahead and bought a copy off Amazon, so I've got that to look forward to. I was considering picking up Grim Grimoire at the same time, as I hear they're very similar, but it's twice what I paid for Odin Sphere, so that got nixxed.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Grim Grimoire is a 2d RTS, quite unlike Odin Sphere.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

While I haven't played Grim Grimoire, it is made by Vanilla Ware and has a very similar art style to Odin Sphere. From what I've seen it looks pretty good so maybe Calli and I will have to look into it.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

And now it's time to head to the Netherworld and stab the Queen with a spear. Once again we go to save our husband, and with that the book will come to a close.

Valkyrie Epilogue

I don't think it's really a spoiler to say that the game isn't over yet. If the time stamp from our previous playthrough is any indication we really are only at the start. And that's one of the things I love about this game. The narrative is really well done. So please join us next week as we move onto the next book.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Well, that was a nice end to a story. Told a lovely dad to gently caress right off, and got to spend quality time with the spouse.

I love earned happy endings.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't know if Hel is really above ground or there is some sort of fake sky thing going on. The place is for ghosts, but the bones on the ground makes it look like burials are actually empty in this world, since the rotting skeletons have moved into Hel.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It honestly just seems like Hel/The Netherworld is just off to the side of the world and you can honestly just walk there if you wanted. I think when you die the Halja come for you maybe and take your entire being there while your life force stays behind in the form of phozons. It may be a detail that we just need to overlook but this makes sense to me.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
And my copy of Odin Sphere just showed up. I wasn't expecting it for another week.

I'm pretty happy about this. :D

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Nice! I'd still love to have a copy of the original. If for nothing else to expand on my collection of modern classics. In a recent recording we had a bit of slowdown, so clearly not everything had been fixed in the HD remake.

Warmal fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 30, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't what it is about Odin, but he does cause slowdown.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

I don't what it is about Odin, but he does cause slowdown.

It's trying to render his massive upper body and arms.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
Of interest, the Queen of the Dead references two classical pieces. Her name is from Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake, where Odette is the protagonist, a princess cursed by a witch to turn into a swan. Her general design also references Mozart's The Magic Flute; specifically the character of The Queen Of The Night. She's usually depicted wearing dark, silvery gowns, and the moon is a recurring symbol with her, sometimes even used as a trapezee to lower her into the stage.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What does the giant skeletal hand represent?

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Possibly just death in a more literal sense. The whole of the Netherworld just reeks of decay and everything you know? Torture and pain. Hel. I'm more surprised they didn't do a river since a lot of media like to take from the river Styx and the like.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

When one book closes, another one opens. I think that's how that saying goes. But either way, we now meet Cornelius, my favourite of our two protagonists here. It may not look like it, but he does play a bit differently from Gwendolyn, and it's a style that suits me perfectly. That said, Calli is of course still the one in control. It is her game after all.

Before watching this I have a warning. We were not aware of it at the time of the recording, but Calli was starting to get sick. When she gets sick, she kind of gets a little more... quirky? I suppose. It may be a bit different from what you're used to from our videos. On the other hand, we can now watch me try so desperately to keep us on track. It won't be as apparent in this video as it will be in the next two. But that's what I was feeling about it. Maybe I'm just imagining Calli being different though.

The Pooka Prince
Prelude

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Warmal posted:

Before watching this I have a warning. We were not aware of it at the time of the recording, but Calli was starting to get sick. When she gets sick, she kind of gets a little more... quirky? I suppose. It may be a bit different from what you're used to from our videos. On the other hand, we can now watch me try so desperately to keep us on track. It won't be as apparent in this video as it will be in the next two. But that's what I was feeling about it. Maybe I'm just imagining Calli being different though.

Well this should be interesting. :D

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did people complain about having to play this character just because he is a rabbit? People have weird hang-ups with games.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So is Cornelius seeing Velvet? That is the only princess we've been introduced to that lives in the woods. (I've never played the game so I'm just guessing).

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So is Cornelius seeing Velvet? That is the only princess we've been introduced to that lives in the woods. (I've never played the game so I'm just guessing).
This seems to be pretty much confirmed at the end of the last episode considering that Velvet is shown holding a love letter of his.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Yep. Cornelius and Velvet were seeing each other. But the King was having none of it. I can imagine the people of Titania wouldn't be too content with their future king conversing with someone who lost their kingdom.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am sure a wizard can do something about resolving that issue.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Wizards can do a great many things. But they should in no way be trusted. We also didn't mention it, but this wizard looks eerily similar to the one controlling the dragon that Gwendolyn fought. They don't have the same name, but still.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If there is one wizard, then there must be more of them. *gets pitchfork*

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Wizards are known to need food badly.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Wizards have no sense of right or wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Wizards are known to need food badly.

Truly this drives many of their crimes.

• Locked thread