Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Wizards often break into your house at 2 in the morning and drink all your beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Logicblade posted:

Wizards often break into your house at 2 in the morning and drink all your beer.

They do it in front of the Rogue, too, to show how much easier it was for a Wizard.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I have been translating part of their code they use for casting spells.

ICEE BEYEM = I.C.B.M.
GHET AUT = Get out
PHEE CABUE = Peekaboo
YSTIGG MITAZIM = Astigmatism
BIRUZ BENNAR = Bruce Banner
CLAE MASHON = Claymation
BRICKSHUN MOHTYR = Bricks and mortar

I have been unable to translate SYCAR TYN/NILA as of now.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

This is a great breakthrough for our cause against the wizards. Perhaps we'll finally be able to take down out tyrannical oppressors.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving from The Great White North!

On this holiday we have many things to be thankful for. Each other. You all. This game. The amazing thread activity. Not being turned into a rabbit like creature. Not being in the Netherworld. Not having to fight for our lives. Too bad Cornelius can't say the same.

The Pooka Prince Chapter One

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Not sure how dying causes you to have a horse skull and form a hole between the eyes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Warmal posted:

Happy Thanksgiving from The Great White North!

On this holiday we have many things to be thankful for. Each other. You all. This game. The amazing thread activity. Not being turned into a rabbit like creature. Not being in the Netherworld. Not having to fight for our lives. Too bad Cornelius can't say the same.

The Pooka Prince Chapter One

It's okay, he has a kickass sword.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Not sure how dying causes you to have a horse skull and form a hole between the eyes.

Perhaps it's something along the lines of their sins twisting their forms and such?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The candlebearers, as alluded to in the final lines, are dead pookas. They have a longer snout than the living pookas we see for some reason but the skulls do look rabbitty.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

The Something Awful Forums>Discussion>Games>Let's Play!>At the Pooka, Pooka Cabana: Let's Play Odin Sphere

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Bliss Authority posted:

The Something Awful Forums>Discussion>Games>Let's Play!>At the Pooka, Pooka Cabana: Let's Play Odin Sphere

Had I known that was going to be a thing, I would have actually titled the thread that. Thankfully, it was only this episode I believe.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

but it was witches

Neither of you should ever apologize for art. I'm now going to call the restaurants between levels the Pooka Cabana and no one can stop me.

On a more serious note, I'm guessing there's a third character? Gwendolyn's route was about a third of the first save. Unless The Pooka Prince is significantly longer than The Valkyrie, I've got a hunch there'll be a third character, possibly a fire caster to Gwen's ice and Cornelius's lightning.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It is now official. The restaurants are now officially the Pooka Cabana.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

And thus ends the tribulations of Calli being sick. I thank you all for making it through these last few episodes. In this one we meet some old characters. And Odin is still a dick. Though, it seems that that may be the one consistency of these stories.

The Pooka Prince Chapter Two

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You killed the serving wench.
That blimp battle makes sure that something is always on fire. I think the operator was burning during the fight.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

That's why we don't see many plants in the Demon Lord's realm. They always set everything on fire, whether on purpose or accident. And if not that, blow things up with their bombs. Really, they do this to their own people as well as prisoners(?). It's amazing anyone is alive.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We finally start getting into the meat of the story for Cornelius. Honestly, he's really smart to demand to be asked anything. Back then, that'd be the sure fire way to prove you are yourself. Unfortunately his father is a little too freaked out to see reason. Also, we've reached a sibling cliche.

The Pooka Prince - Chapter Three

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cornelius is generally a smart, competent guy in a completely batshit insane situation that he handles with courage and grace.

He is also a silly little bunny man.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

He could have easily freaked out and lost himself in the Netherworld, but instead said. "Nope. This aint happening. I'm getting out of here. I'm going home." Then he get's home and says, "Well. That's lovely. But Velvet is in danger so I better do something about that first."

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
About Y2K, this was another case of journalists blowing something out of all proportion. There was a real problem, because some computers running old code written in the 1970's were going to do the wrong thing on Jan. 1, 2000. And some of those computers couldn't really be tested, because they were in hard-to-reach areas -- for example, the GPS satellites in orbit. But the overblown nonsense the journalists came up with -- planes falling out of the sky and all that -- was just ludicrously wrong. No, planes WOULDN'T have fallen out of the sky. The worst that would have happened is their GPS would have started reporting that they were in the wrong place, the autopilot might have turned the plane to correct for being "off-course". So unless the pilots were alert, the plane could have flown for 10, 20, 30 minutes in the wrong direction, leading to the flight being an hour late at its destination and a lot of people missing their connections.

So yes, there could have problems, but they would have been mostly economic ones. Missed connections in airports, or the thermostat turning on the AC in an empty office building because it thought it was Monday, Jan 1, 1900 (when really it was Saturday, Jan 1st, 2000), wasting a lot of money cooling the building while nobody was working. And there was also a HUGE, very-little-reported-on effort to fix all the old software before the deadline. LOTS of old COBOL programmers made big bucks in 1998 and 1999! And that effort was successful, which is why pretty much nothing unusual happened on Y2K: because the big problems that journalists had predicted were actually impossible, and the small problems were fixed before they could happen.

The reporting about Y2K was one of the first times when I understood the Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect for myself (even though it hadn't yet been formulated yet, as Crichton came up with that name in 2002). But that's when I realized "You know what? On this subject, that I personally know a lot about, the journalists are, almost without exception, full of the stuff they're predicting will hit the fan. So why should I believe them when they report on things I don't personally know as much about, like Iraq or Afghanistan?" And that's when I started to prefer getting my news from places that actually link their sources so you can double-check them, instead of from newspapers or TV.

Anyway, that's why Y2K was a big flop: because most of the danger was overblown, and the problems that would have really happened were fixed first.

vvvvvvvvvv

Scalding Coffee posted:

It is also telling that foreign countries having less resources, money, and being in time zones where they would feel the effect sooner, didn't collapse at that point. Though many still collapsed soon after with bloated governments and high taxes.

Well, to really have ANY effect from Y2K, your country would have had to have a bunch of computers in the 1970s and 1980s, because that's when all the affected code was written. (Saving two bytes of memory per record by storing two-digit years instead of four-digit years was a significant savings at the time, but by the early 90's memory and disk space was cheap enough that the savings in storage space weren't worth the cost in having ambiguous dates.) Therefore, if you were going to be affected by Y2K, it meant your country was pretty rich about two decades ago, and MOST of those countries were still pretty rich. So most European countries, for example, had to deal with the Y2K problem, but they also had the resources to hire programmers. Ditto Japan. But how many African countries had enough computers in the 1980's to be affected by Y2K? Not that many.

vvvvvvvvvv

Tax Refund fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 27, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is also telling that foreign countries having less resources, money, and being in time zones where they would feel the effect sooner, didn't collapse at that point. Though many still collapsed soon after with bloated governments and high taxes. I miss those days. The sky was falling because computers have bad calendars. Now it is grapes turning sour because it is warmer and cooler around the world and shaking up monopolies.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I was still pretty young during the Y2K thing. What I remember most about the scare was that every TV show and cartoon had some big episode showcasing either the horrors or lack there off. More of the former than the latter. I kind of wonder if we'll ever have a big scare like that again. Aside from the 2012 scare.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

On this night of all hollow's eve, Cornelius will be hoping to the top of a mountain to gain help from a mighty dragon wyvern. In other news. This weekend was going to be our recording weekend, but Calli got sick again. Not loopy sick like last time, but possibly strep throat so lots of coughing and unable to talk. So there might be a short delay until the next episode gets up.

The Pooka Prince - Chapter Four

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

but it was witches

I can't believe Cornielus was actually on a quest to find the Pooka Cabana.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Not sure how finding coins are supposed to grant a wish, let alone all of them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Not sure how finding coins are supposed to grant a wish, let alone all of them.

Magic,

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I honestly wonder how magic works where such a frivolous thing becomes the cure. Like. It could have just as easily been "Collect every left shoe in all the kingdoms."

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Basically King Valentine watched Dragonball one day and thought he could do one better. More on that eventually.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Believe in Capitalism enough and money grants wishes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There is actually an explanation, and it's sort of interesting, in a fairy-tale sense.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Seyser Koze posted:

Basically King Valentine watched Dragonball one day and thought he could do one better. More on that eventually.

And by "one" we mean a couple thousand pieces of currency.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

So we'll be talking about Valkyries and such as we watch Gwendolyn eat, and eat, and eat, and eat. I'm also going to talk a little more in depth on my thoughts of the characters and story in the first book.

Bonus 1 - Gwendolyn

I'd also like to mention that there will still be a delay on regular videos. My mom is going into surgery this week so Calli and I will be out of town with her for almost a week. We'll record when we can to return to Cornelius and beyond.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
An acceptable Norse goon video.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I'm glad it was acceptable. I'm not very good at solo commentary but I'm working on it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I hope your mother is doing well.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It's been long enough that I should probably say something. Thanks for wishing my mother well. She is recovering fine. It'll be a while before she is 100% but she'll get there. We actually finally just managed to get a slew of recording done so I will have updates soon! Thank you all for your patience.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Neat

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I HAVE A MAGIC UPDATE

The Pooka Prince - Chapter Five

After a long hiatus we apologize very much for, we come across what is my favourite line in the game. Hands down. Also. Cornelius' story seems to have a repeating trope when it comes to Velvet.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Warmal posted:

I HAVE A MAGIC UPDATE

He does! He has one!

That is absolutely the best line ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I hope whoever wrote that line get's a raise. And when they do, they stand from their computer and announce. "I HAVE A MAGIC PAYCHECK."

• Locked thread