Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The difficulty change was needed. The other thread can show off the harder stuff while still keeping the eating and defeating ratio balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

That's what I was thinking. We didn't go in this to show the difficulty in the game. We would have played on a higher difficulty if that was the case. We wanted this playthrough to be fun and relaxing because that's really what the game is like when you get into a rhythm. Also to show off one of our favourite stories in video games. Thus far I've had a lot of fun with this let's play and thread. And can't wait to get through even more.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Honestly the more I think about it, the likely hood of collecting all the coins is pretty small. Anything could have happened to any of them. It might be safe to say Cornelius will be a Pooka forever.

The Pooka Prince - Chapter Six

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is also the fact that people do get buried with their money and the only way to get them out is by having Chains yell at you to get up. The map displaying it as some overworld location that is blocked by natural barriers, really looks like a troll move cherry on top of a hopeless situation.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think the translation of the "snake" dragon was Wyrm. If he really was to be the last dragon, shouldn't he be textured pink and not have any light reflection?

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

He's trying his best. That's all we can expect from the baby.

Also, starting next week updates will be on Mondays. That should give enough time for anyone to get in a recipe for us to try on the weekend. Pictures of our disasters successes will be posted with updates.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A shame we didn't get to see the babe's ultimate attack. Now that is a boss that is born ready.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

From the moment of it's birth, it was ready to fight. If only it didn't end up fighting a main character it may have stood a chance.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

And so we bring the story of the Pooka to a close. We learned a lot more about the world in this story, but it certainly crammed Cornelius' story right into the end. And because we are now at the end of another book, I will be working on the next eating video while we move into the next story and character.

The Pooka Prince - Epilogue

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

As well. If anyone does have a recipe we will 100% do it this weekend.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I want to see ET, but I want to see the original version. All these remasters with out of place CGI and censorship become distracting in the movies.

Did Cornelius have an ultimate attack like Gwendolyn?

I have one for Goofey Burger

1 lb. ham
1 pkge. velveeta cheese
1/3 c. mayonnaise
1 tbsp. relish
1 tbsp. wet mustard

Cut meat in tiny pieces, mix together.
Put on bun, wrap in foil, and bake at 350 for 20 min.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I don't think I'd even like the original version. But it would probably be better just for those reasons alone. And yes. Cornelius did have an ultimate attack. And do not fret. We will be showing it off. The cotton tail prince hasn't seen his last battle just yet.

Also. That recipe sounds amazing. To me. I can already tell Calli will not like it just due to the fact that she doesn't like pork. But. As we I said, we will do recipes if able.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Maybe you can replace it with cow.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Warmal posted:

And so we bring the story of the Pooka to a close. We learned a lot more about the world in this story, but it certainly crammed Cornelius' story right into the end. And because we are now at the end of another book, I will be working on the next eating video while we move into the next story and character.

The Pooka Prince - Epilogue

I can really see your Harvest Moon roots in this video. :v: :henget:

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Her harvest moon roots actually come up in games that it probably shouldn't. But it somehow makes her really good at managing things.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What do you consider the best use of the egg? It looks best for feeding chickens tutorial-tier seeds that are common, but grant little HP and XP when you have hundreds of HP.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Personally, I find doing that takes too long.

It's much more expedient to just grind the cash to buy eggs and chicken directly from the Pooka Village merchant.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You do miss out on the chick deciding not to eat and having to violently coax her to eat.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Or in our case, coax them out of moon walking around the entire map to eat.

If you want to take the time to make them into full chickens, the best way to handle eggs is to feed them a couple mullberry seeds and then slaughter them and use the chickens in recipes. This should theoretically give you the most experience. But you could also just use the eggs in recipes and save yourself the time. Honestly. There are so many choices for what you would like to do with how your level up it mostly will come down to your whim. You may need to be more considerate on harder difficulties, but you can also grind old levels if you're really hurting to get stronger.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

So it turns out I can't read. We did that recipe from:

Scalding Coffee posted:

I have one for Goofey Burger

1 lb. ham
1 pkge. velveeta cheese
1/3 c. mayonnaise
1 tbsp. relish
1 tbsp. wet mustard

Cut meat in tiny pieces, mix together.
Put on bun, wrap in foil, and bake at 350 for 20 min.

And I completely hosed up one of the amounts. I'll leave it up to you to figure out which one it was. It'll be pretty obvious when you see it.

Warmal fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 23, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am guessing the goony mistake and used a whole cup of mayo.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I guess you're going to find out. Can you now guess which one of us wasn't too happy when we found out?

Recipe Video
Goofey Burger

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That was a recipe from my recently dearly departed Grandmother, which explains why it was a heart attack in the works and enough for a large family. I only use the large hams with bone in the middle and chop that into small square chunks, which is good enough for GM and mom. There is nothing to stop you from having veggies on the side. Maybe grilled asparagus to go with that excess amount of cheese. I agree that the recipe needs a modern update.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It was still really good. I enjoyed it despite my mess up. I thank your departed Grandmother and hope she smiles down on me and laughs at my foolery. A bone in ham would make more sense. It'd be easier to get the chunks on the bun rather than the small thin pieces.

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

I appreciate your grandmothers wisdom for this recipe...she just didn't know what would happen if it got into the hands of a man with poor reading skills. It was actually super good even though Michael did mess it up pretty badly. I'll definitely be using it in the future, so thank you Scalding Coffee for sharing something from your family.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Thanks for that. Remember to eat your veggies.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We'll try to remember to eat our vegetables. At the very least we'll remember to eat our Mandragoras. Especially since we're moving onto a character that I would imagine eats a lot of her vegetables. So here is the next update!

Fairyland
Prelude

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I picked up this game in the recent sale, and have been tearing through this LP as well. I'm really liking it so far, and am excited to see where the story goes.

Here's a recipe that my mom got off a Bisquick box that wound up becoming one of my favorites:

Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie:
1 pound lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Original Bisquick® mix (equivalent products should work, but I always used Bisquick when I make it)
1 cup milk
2 eggs

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray.

In 10-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in salt. Spread in pie plate. Sprinkle with cheese.

In small bowl, stir remaining ingredients (Bisquick, Milk, Eggs) with fork or wire whisk until blended. Pour into pie plate.

Bake about 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I'm happy to hear your enjoying the game! It's really good and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone who enjoys story driven hack and slash games.
Also. We will take that recipe and add it to our list of things to do. Don't blame us if we absolutely ruin something you love.

Also. Your avatar is pawsitively great.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Mercedes looks like the character who constantly tosses potions around while firing through them. A wall of fire and explosions.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Mercedes is by far the character that got the most improvements for Leifthrasir. Mercedes in original Odin Sphere was so, so bad that the entire third book was an extended torture session. Was the first time I had to dial down the difficulty to Easy in that - Leifthrasir, which I'm almost done with on Vita, I've been playing on Hard from the start and S-ranked everything.

The biggest thing being that in original Odin Sphere, you could not interrupt the reload animation - and any time you were standing on the ground with less than full ammo (Pow bar being a new thing for Leifthrasir, in original all characters except for Mercedes had Stamina instead, whereas Mercedes had Ammo which worked mostly like the Pow bar but could only ever be refilled by reloading) and not moving, she'd start reloading. Rest of original Odin Sphere is mostly good, but Mercedes alone is an argument for not trying out Classic mode.

With the special moves and stuff, Leifthrasir Mercedes is legit good. Just takes some getting used to since she's still got radically different gameplay from the rest.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

"...the might of the wicked eye Balor" is another reference to Irish mythology. The short version is that Balor was a leader of the Fomorians (some mythical race who came to Ireland before the more modern gods/Tuatha Dé Danann). He only had one eye, but the gaze of that one eye was still enough to destroy all within his sight if it were ever fully open and revealed. He's generally described as covering it with seven cloaks to prevent unwanted collateral damage.

But speaking of references to mythologies that aren't just Greek/Roman or Norse, it would be interesting to see something concerning itself with Finnish mythology and its compendium known as the Kalevala. Of course pronouncing a bunch of the names would be difficult, but I'm guessing that Tolkien has made things a bit easier in that regard.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We'll be having our next eating video pretty soon. I'll be delving into the irish folklore this time, focusing on Pooka's and such. I'll make sure to look into Balor though. Anything to fill that time.
Also. We will be looking at Classic mode near the end of the LP. From my initial research when we first reached Mercedes on our initial playthough, it seemed people still just did not like playing as her. Maybe it was just too much of a change. But they certainly made her fun this time around.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
So, when in the overall timeline of the game does this happen? Because wasn't it Gwendolyn who defeated the queen? Or am I misremembering something?

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

Nuramor posted:

So, when in the overall timeline of the game does this happen? Because wasn't it Gwendolyn who defeated the queen? Or am I misremembering something?

You're not misremembering. This prelude is before Gwendolyn. You will see in the next episode where this sits better in the timeline. The game jumps back and forth in the timeline with each character so it can be difficult to figure out where you are when.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Warmal posted:

Also. Your avatar is pawsitively great.

Thank mew!

NGDBSS posted:

"...the might of the wicked eye Balor" is another reference to Irish mythology. The short version is that Balor was a leader of the Fomorians (some mythical race who came to Ireland before the more modern gods/Tuatha Dé Danann). He only had one eye, but the gaze of that one eye was still enough to destroy all within his sight if it were ever fully open and revealed. He's generally described as covering it with seven cloaks to prevent unwanted collateral damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJwLrarYTJ0

Here's a pro wrestler talking about him!

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Wow. I never thought I was going to need to reference a pro wrestler in a bonus video but here we are.

For our food video this week, I needed a quick cut in my iron intake so we did not do Senerio's recipe just yet. Thankfully, Calli had something up her sleeve. So, here's our next recipe video!

Goofey Burger Redux Part 2

Hopefully she does a better job for you Scalding Coffee. Please be warned that the footage is a bit shaky since she was filming one handed while cooking by herself.

Regular update later this week.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I never asked grandma why we still needed big recipes like this post-nuclear family era and instead just put all the extras in the freezer for a week.

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

I never asked grandma why we still needed big recipes like this post-nuclear family era and instead just put all the extras in the freezer for a week.

I think you answered your own question there. My own grandmother usually made a lot of food as well. I think it is because of the time they came from where food was scarce during the depression, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Here comes Cornelius' eating video much earlier than Gwendolyn's. I'm getting the hang of making these now. I didn't find as much relevant lore this time, but I make up for it by talking more about the game and the characters.

Eating Video
Cornelius

• Locked thread