Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I never asked grandma why we still needed big recipes like this post-nuclear family era and instead just put all the extras in the freezer for a week.

Did your grandma live through the depression? That was why mine always kept a ton of food around and loved to cook huge meals for family whenever she could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We begin our adventure with Mercedes proper. And we fight a very familiar foe once again. It's starting to get ridiculous actually.

Fairyland Chapter One

Also. I downloaded a trial fro Vegas Pro Edit. If you could tell me how the video and audio quality of this episode is in comparison to previous ones that'd really help me make a decision on what to upgrade my editing software to.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Ok, that thing is definitely an assault rifle of some sort.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Good god, her bowgun sounds more meaty in this video. I could feel it through my subwoofer. Mercedes combat looks fun as hell already. The video also looks brighter and smoother.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I was able to edit the game audio in a way I haven't before. I'm hoping by 'meaty' you mean it's good.

Also. We saw her gun in a boss fight before, but controlling it feels really liberating and powerful.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It sounds even more like a gatling gun on a video game helicopter.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It is a very powerful gun. I really wonder what actually makes it work compared to the melee weapons we've had thus far.

But hey! We've got an update.

Fairyland Chapter Two

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It would have been a good thing to see the new attacks.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We will be making sure to show off all of the attacks. Since we're playing on Easy there will be a good opportunity near the end of the game to show off all the characters attacks at once.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How does the experience work with defeated enemies? You get either 1 on everything or you can get 80+ on some kills at some point.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The game doesn't actually tell you how much experience you get for the kills. You do get experience for defeating enemies, but it all compiles and shows at the end of the battle. Otherwise you don't know how much each kill is worth. After doing some research I can safely say that no one has the answer to how much a kill is worth towards your experience. I suppose at the end of the day, it doesn't overly matter. Even if you go grinding, you'll just be grinding food instead of kills.

raptus
Nov 10, 2004
- And he said "Grararararararargh" and I believed him!
You really should turn up the difficulty and focus the discussion on the game you are playing.
Firstly, it gets repetitive to watch the same effortless routine of: mash button -> defeat enemies that seem like chumps and bosses that hardly even attack before getting steamrolled.

Secondly, I'm watching your videos because I'm interested in the game, not your life in general. You could expand on the topic of game mechanics for example. The parts where you look up parts of Norse mythology or how the different storylines touch are good.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Thanks for watching thus far!
We'll be keeping the difficulty at what it is. The point of this LP isn't really to show off the difficulty of the game, which it can be extremely hard. It's about having fun with it. We enjoy going in and steam rolling the enemies. All increasing the difficulty will do will make it take longer to get through the fights in general.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The difficulty change was needed. The other thread can show off the harder stuff while still keeping the eating and defeating ratio balanced.

Scalding Coffee put it really nicely a little while ago.

As for game mechanics. The mechanics themselves have been discussed in full. Unless we reiterate how the food mechanics work, how fighting works, how traversing the world works, how the leveling system works. By the time you finish Gwendolyn's story, everything is pretty well talked about. The next stories are just about the next characters. Sadly, no one brings anything new to the table aside from Mercedes which we've discussed the changes. If you would like to see more of the mythology, I suggest looking at the eating videos. I take them solo and do a bit of research and really pull my thoughts together once the book is over. I'm not really an expert on any Mythology, so I don't know what to look up at any given time. When something stands out to me I look it up. A good example is the Eye of Balor mentioned earlier in the thread. That was a cool little tidbit that I can go into on the next eating video.

We could talk a lot more about the game, and I will try to keep us focused in the future, since we do have quite a bit of game left. But until we can talk overall, the little chapter to chapter story doesn't leave a whole lot to mention. A 2 minute cutscene followed by 30 minutes of beating up enemies. I said we'd be keeping this thread casual, so we will be filling the downtime with what we can. Which will probably continue being how it has been.

If anyone else has any concerns just let us know~

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

raptus posted:

You really should turn up the difficulty and focus the discussion on the game you are playing.
Firstly, it gets repetitive to watch the same effortless routine of: mash button -> defeat enemies that seem like chumps and bosses that hardly even attack before getting steamrolled.

Secondly, I'm watching your videos because I'm interested in the game, not your life in general. You could expand on the topic of game mechanics for example. The parts where you look up parts of Norse mythology or how the different storylines touch are good.

Michael put this nicely but I'm not so nice. It's good that you have an opinion but how you form your opinion to others sucks rear end. Perhaps next time you could form your opinion as a question to us instead of demanding or saying we 'should' do something. Example: "I'm watching your Odin Sphere videos and love how your doing the game. I just want to suggest some changes that you may or may not wish to consider to improve your lets playing."

Firstly, this is a casual lets play where my husband and I discuss the game when needed and talk about our lives the rest of the time. Surprise surprise we are human.
Secondly, it's nice that you are watching our videos for the game and that is the point of a lets play but we have discussed the mechanics and the story as much as possible without spoiling future plots.
Thirdly, we did have the difficulty higher. We had it on normal and it started to get too repetitive to have to try and get through the same monsters so we turned it down to get more to the story driven parts of the game.

We appreciate peoples inputs about how to improve our channel. From how to improve sound and video quality, etc. Our videos and channel are about us though playing games together and getting to share our love of those games with everyone else. If you came to our lets play for Odin sphere to be just informative then you came to the wrong people.

So thank you for your input but we will be keeping the difficulty as is and our format as is. If this is a problem for you I suggest you look at a different thread. Such as Highwangs lets play. You can find that here

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Do you want to see me mess up another recipe? Of course you do! This time it's only half messed up!

Pot Roast Minus the Vegetables - Originally Found Online (Michael Messes Up)

Regular update will be out tomorrow.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Alright. Time to get down to business. We gotta fight a dragon who might be a little blind when it comes to psyphers. One things is for sure, Mercedes is nothing if not determined.

Fairlyland Chapter Three

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am liking how her shots are from various shmups. That sliding move into a volley turned those fire spirits into items. That looks like an abusable skill.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I've never been really good with shmups. But that is definitely what I think they're taking from with Mercedes attacks. A lot of her moves can combo really well. Once you get good with her in this version, they levels can be a cake walk.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Okay. I know we've said a lot that she should just kiss the frog already. But this might not be the best place to do it.

Fairyland Ch 4

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Nice to see another attack we won't see until the next video. Those messages on using alchemy sure are annoying. One after another for the boss.

edit: I imagine Odin in disguise as a 15ft tall boy hunched over and holding a mop, wiping the floors. He also has a long beard he dyed.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 4, 2017

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

If he was in disguise in his own kingdom I could see it. We know Brigan is giant as well so at least there is some idea that people can get huge. But we haven't seen that in any other Kingdom. Imagine a line up of servants, and at the end is one guy that's 3 times the size of everyone else. It just, I don't know how no one would notice.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Remember back when King Odin was the only one able to get to the Netherworld? Apparently that has just never been true. I think I've stated it before but it looks like you can just come and go from the place all willy nilly.

Fairyland Chapter Five

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is there a reason you don't use the gourmet ring during eating sessions?

edit: So you did.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 25, 2017

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The only answer I can really give is that we're very forgetful. It is a good point though. Can get some nice extra points doing that. Pro strat.

We are not pro strat. You may be expecting too much from us.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You did remember to eat yogurt, so you are good enough.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Welcome to another episode of, "it's been three months since we recorded and I already completely forgot what we had done last time and make a total fool of myself in the video."
Honestly though, after you stop Melvin's take over, Mercedes story starts becoming rather forgettable. It may have been better to make the coup arc of it last one chapter longer.

Fairyland Chapter Six

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is funny how the game gives out different hints and never let up.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It has become a complete running joke in the LP that we didn't intend and I had no idea would even become a thing. What other game constantly re-tells you the controls after you were gone for a few months?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I had something like the game giving me the tutorial hint to use a Shine potion or whatever when fighting the (sort of) final boss. No, it wasn't a dark area.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Shine is that powerful, you guys. Get automatic S ranks with Shine.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

If that was actually the case I would totally be on board with constant shines. But they are probably the most useless of the potions simply because it's only really useful in set areas.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

And now, our time with Mercedes comes to a close. She was actually pretty fun aside from a level or two. And now we're starting to move into the latter half of the game.

Fairyland Epilogue

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They couldn't stop handing out Ruewort. 5k XP a pop while Gwendolyn had to deal with inferior grapes for levels.

The fact that our country had millions of people nationwide protesting Democracy and Free Speech when Donald Trump got elected and later, those same people deciding that grown men wearing vaginas on their head and screaming to be taken seriously, is reason enough that the country deserved someone like President Trump.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

A lot has happened in Politics lately. Even here in Canada. And, I'm not going to take much stance in the thread. But I will say that I wouldn't not move to Ragnanival in light of recent events.

Also. I just finished editing the video together for Mercedes' eating video, and it may be the longest yet. Kind of interesting to see the change in the amount of time eating between each character.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Update Time

So now we move onto the next book, and the next character. In a similar way to Mercedes, our new 'hero' is letting us take a look at a different side to part of the story we've already seen. But don't think this means we won't be seeing new things. A lot happened that you didn't know about.

The Black Sword Prelude

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Maybe the reason why the earlier users died was because they were elves. They might have lucked out with the bowgun, but all the other users didn't have trouble with their weapons.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Perhaps that is the case. It's hard to tell in this world sometimes. Maybe some weapons are just meant for certain individuals.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I have to say. The amount of power Oswald makes you feel like you have is pretty amazing. Also, it's nice to know a bunch of the Valkyrie were slaughtered for reasons other than Odin sending them to their death. It's really just a bad time for all of them.

The Black Sword Chapter One

Let's be honest, who else is getting tired of the airship mini boss? It'd be nice if there was some personality put behind it. Like you see all the dwarves scrambling to get to it or something. But it's just there and is kind of annoying.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The dwarves do stuff with the boss, it is just difficult to do much when someone is flailing around with a soul-stealing weapon and you carry explosives as protection.
This is one of the few LPs that does something good with food. The only other thing I can think of is challenging goons to eat uncooked or disgusting creations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I mean. I wouldn't necessarily say what I made us as not disgusting. But I get what you're saying. Glad we've done something good for this series!

Also. The dwarves really should change up their artillery. It doesn't seem to be doing too good for them.

• Locked thread