Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Apple did some good marketing 10-15 years ago so I still have friends that refuse to use Windows and swear up and down that "Anyone who knows anything about Artistry and Design work knows that Apples are superior in every way"

It doesn't explain why everyone goes for the obviously inferior IOS over Android though other than marketing to the dumbest dregs of society that are pleased by Playskool brand phones.

The web designers on my team refuse to use non-Apple hardware

like, any non-Apple hardware. They, and only they, have giant Apple-branded monitors at their desks which probably cost more than my computer did.

fake-edit: ok, I just peeked and actually neither of them are using Apple-branded mice :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I watched The Big Short and I still don't really get how shorting is legal

like, buying/selling shares is pretty straightforward to me, but shorting is basically just gambling with stock prices. I understand that in effect buying shares is ALSO gambling with stock prices, it just has a sort of "real" meaning in that you are buying a portion of the company. If shorting can be summarized any other way than "placing a bet" I don't know what it is.

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought into the apple is for stupids rhetoric and bought a samsung phone. It was plagued with irritating bugs and updates never fixed them, only increased battery consumption. I put cyanogen on it and it fixed the worst bugs while introducing new, still very annoying ones.

Now that I am a dumb apple sheeple and have an iphone my phone works without any janitoring on my part and actually improves with updates. :shrug:

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Well, I bought some puts (options) which is basically the same thing. Look at the one year chart:

https://www.google.com/search?q=aapl+chart&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

this is ready to drop a bit. :) If i'm wrong I lose all the money I put into the options....

Are you excited about their wireless headphones for Iphone 7?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Samsung is terrible, I am a huge prick and I hope that this helps

I also have a Samsung phone because it appeared to be the best option on AT&T and when the contract is up I think I'd rather switch to Verizon than get another Samsung phone

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

dad gay. so what posted:

I invested all my money in baseball cards

which decade are they primarily from?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I won't understand people who use Apple computers but Android phones. The integration is one of the best parts. I also wonder how many Android users who lord over iOS have actually used iOS. I almost never hear practical complaints like "it has poor battery life" or "it gets slow over time" which are common with Android phones.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I like Vegas better OP

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

I almost never hear practical complaints like "it has poor battery life" or "it gets slow over time" which are common with Android phones.

I have actually heard both of these complaints from my fiancee who is the most prominent iPhone user in my life

A little about the phone getting slower with age, but more about battery life. She might have gotten a series of dud phones but every one she's owned has apparently had awful battery life.

One of the lines you always hear from Apple fanatics is "it just works and nothing ever goes wrong!" which even my meager experience with OSX (in school mostly) has directly refuted. I put it down to confirmation bias. If a program freezes up and needs to be force-quit on OSX, it's a lovely program. If the same thing happens on Windows, it's Microsoft's fault.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"You never have to janitor OSX computers at all" is also a dumb thing to say considering the frequency with which MacBook owners seem to have to turn their WiFi off and on again (every time they open their computers apparently)

e: wait, sorry, it's called "AirPort" on macs

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
From $110 to $109.31 since my post. I'm a genius!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

While I'm apparently letting everything I hate about Apple out in the air, how about those commercials where they have a celebrity talk about family togetherness or recite a Robert Frost poem or expound on the meaning of teamwork or something, and show pictures of landscapes from foreign lands or the stars in the sky or something, and then put an Apple logo right at the end like the celebrity had really been talking about Apple computers the whole time

because it has nothing to do with their product and it's infuriating to me that people seem to eat that poo poo up with a spoon anyway

If I were a student art-film directing major I'd want to score an Apple ad gig because apparently you can just sort of do whatever you want for 30 seconds and call it an ad

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
why do people say that apple computers are better for art and design? is there some kind of software that runs on Apple but not windows?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
My iPhone 6s is the only Apple product I've ever owned. The screen is excellent and the internal headphone amp is very powerful and I hardly turn the volume up past half at work. Welp I guess I'm a big dumb baby sorry everyone.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I have never had a problem with my iPhones but have had problems with both my android phones. I recognize that different people have different experiences and different needs and I hope that everyone can find a phone that freely and effortlessly meets their needs like mine has :)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh yeah and also how they use their own special-snowflake cables and ports and you have to buy adapter dongles from them for like $20 each to use any normal computer cable ports, and Apple fans always act really entitled about how they can't seem to find ports for Apple's special-snowflake cables anywhere, like it's everyone else's fault except Apple that Apple decided to use a weird port no one else uses

Remember when Wi-Fi was new and Apple was selling their own wireless routers that looked like Pac-Man ghosts and cost three times as much as other routers did? Did you actually have to have one of those to use Wi-Fi on a Mac at any point or was it just transparently a ripoff?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

loquacius posted:

I watched The Big Short and I still don't really get how shorting is legal

like, buying/selling shares is pretty straightforward to me, but shorting is basically just gambling with stock prices. I understand that in effect buying shares is ALSO gambling with stock prices, it just has a sort of "real" meaning in that you are buying a portion of the company. If shorting can be summarized any other way than "placing a bet" I don't know what it is.

Ok I'll give it a whirl.

You as a consumer want to purchase something, but can't find it. I tell you, I can find it, but it'll cost this amount of money, X. You say, cool Vendagoat, that's awesome that I don't have to do any legwork and just give you money.

I take your money to a person I know I can get said item from for Y amount. Y<X. I purchase product for Z difference. Deliver item to you and pocket the difference.

X-Y=+Z

The bad part happens, for me, when I go to my buddy for item and he says Y has a higher cost then what you paid me for it. I can either eat the difference or listen to you bitch and complain as I stall for time. This is called a margin call.

After so long, you get fed up with me and come after me legally to get your X back. This is an SEC intervention.

Good?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

City of Tampa posted:

why do people say that apple computers are better for art and design? is there some kind of software that runs on Apple but not windows?

Yes but only 15 years ago not any more. It also has to do with how being in an enclosed system makes color management easier.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

*drops phone and shatters it*

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

City of Tampa posted:

When you work on complicated projects one mouse button is better than 2

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I especially like how every few generations Apple switches from one special-snowflake cable port to a NEW special-snowflake cable port, so that they still have their own kind of cable that isn't compatible with anything else but also Apple fans have to buy a whole new set of accessories, and they always do

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

Ok I'll give it a whirl.

You as a consumer want to purchase something, but can't find it. I tell you, I can find it, but it'll cost this amount of money, X. You say, cool Vendagoat, that's awesome that I don't have to do any legwork and just give you money.

I take your money to a person I know I can get said item from for Y amount. Y<X. I purchase product for Z difference. Deliver item to you and pocket the difference.

X-Y=+Z

The bad part happens, for me, when I go to my buddy for item and he says Y has a higher cost then what you paid me for it. I can either eat the difference or listen to you bitch and complain as I stall for time. This is called a margin call.

After so long, you get fed up with me and come after me legally to get your X back. This is an SEC intervention.

Good?

That makes it make some modicum of sense but it still doesn't seem to me like it should be legal

like everything else about the stock market

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

loquacius posted:

"You never have to janitor OSX computers at all" is also a dumb thing to say considering the frequency with which MacBook owners seem to have to turn their WiFi off and on again (every time they open their computers apparently)

e: wait, sorry, it's called "AirPort" on macs

Yeah, I janitor my macbook just as much as I used to janitor windows, just for different reasons. I do prefer the software more though, I like Safari more than other browsers and their office suite is easier to figure out and produces good looking documents with little effort.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Zidrooner posted:

Yeah, I janitor my macbook just as much as I used to janitor windows, just for different reasons. I do prefer the software more though, I like Safari more than other browsers and their office suite is easier to figure out and produces good looking documents with little effort.

:eyepop: Ok I appreciate your honesty w/r/t janitoring but I'm honestly just shocked that you use Safari and Apple's native office suite, because I have literally never seen anyone admit to that. Basically all the Mac users I know use either Chrome or FF and either MS Office or Google Docs like everyone else.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

dad gay. so what posted:

I invested all my money in baseball cards

your a fool because they dont even put bubble gum in the card packs anymore

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
"safarti" lmao

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

loquacius posted:

That makes it make some modicum of sense but it still doesn't seem to me like it should be legal

like everything else about the stock market

Eh, commerce has been around since one dumb ape wanted some other dumb ape's thing and they were willing to talk it through.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
i dont understand money or math i just feel very strongly i deserve things given to me for free

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Decebal posted:

When you work on complicated projects one mouse button is better than 2

i guess being different just for the sake of being different has some value? i dunno. I make some pretty complicated stuff at work using Solidworks on a lovely old HP workstation that's probably worth $500 max and it works out just fine

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

How long before Tim Cook is forced to step down?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

City of Tampa posted:

i guess being different just for the sake of being different has some value? i dunno. I make some pretty complicated stuff at work using Solidworks on a lovely old HP workstation that's probably worth $500 max and it works out just fine

you dont need special hardware or software for graphics or audio anymore, it amazes me there are still people who think you do.

500 dollars is a whole lot of computer these days (almost two xbones worth of computer)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i heard apple is going to close their doors and shut down in a few hours from my boss who is the ceo of apple

you better stop your short or you'll be put in jail for insider trading because im an insider

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Apple did some good marketing 10-15 years ago so I still have friends that refuse to use Windows and swear up and down that "Anyone who knows anything about Artistry and Design work knows that Apples are superior in every way"

It doesn't explain why everyone goes for the obviously inferior IOS over Android though other than marketing to the dumbest dregs of society that are pleased by Playskool brand phones.

It's because of branding. Anyone who's not a dumb nerd or poor has an iPhone. Any attractive girl needs an iPhone to send emojis to her beta orbiters and girlfriends. Anyone can recognize the ringtone immediately.

Hope your puts work out OP. Apple is probably going down the toilet as the effect of losing Jobs continues to manifest. I'm broke so when I next get that gambling itch I will just bet on the horses.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

reallivedinosaur posted:

you dont need special hardware or software for graphics or audio anymore, it amazes me there are still people who think you do.

500 dollars is a whole lot of computer these days (almost two xbones worth of computer)

Is it worth it to buy or pirate Photoshop anymore even or could you do basically any image editing you'd need with GIMP or, hell, Paint.NET?

You can probably do any audio poo poo necessary with Audacity too, and video editing with VirtualDub I guess. Animation might be a bit trickier without Autodesk poo poo.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Mortimer posted:

i heard apple is going to close their doors and shut down in a few hours from my boss who is the ceo of apple

you better stop your short or you'll be put in jail for insider trading because im an insider

In this equation, you get the punishment.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Cool fact: my parents let me bet on the Kentucky Derby when I was eight years old. I made one $5 bet and won $50. The horse was a long shot and I liked its name.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mortimer posted:

You are playing with fire with this Something Awful post, Steve Wozniak

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

this downward trend is gonna pay out soon OP!!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

loquacius posted:

I especially like how every few generations Apple switches from one special-snowflake cable port to a NEW special-snowflake cable port, so that they still have their own kind of cable that isn't compatible with anything else but also Apple fans have to buy a whole new set of accessories, and they always do

See, I don't get this complaint. The first 3 gens of iPod used FireWire. Then they introduced the dock connector which allowed USB and FireWire. This would have been around 2004. It's not until 2012 that the Lightning port was introduced, and it's p great in terms of charging improvements and being able to insert it no matter what.

Thunderbolt was introduced in 2008 and hasn't changed drastically. They updated their power connectors after 5/6 years, again to make them smaller and better.

Like, where's the unreasonableness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

loquacius posted:

Is it worth it to buy or pirate Photoshop anymore even or could you do basically any image editing you'd need with GIMP or, hell, Paint.NET?

You can probably do any audio poo poo necessary with Audacity too, and video editing with VirtualDub I guess. Animation might be a bit trickier without Autodesk poo poo.

Paint.NET does everything I've ever needed it to do - except the few times I've needed to do something with a vector, then I used Inkscape.

If you are doing serious print work I think you still need photoshop for it's CMYK support, though maybe GIMP has caught up?

My kid bro is a photographer and uses photoshop and his reasons are more about third party plugin support. His wife is a graphic designer who needs a 3000 dollar apple "because she's an artist". Thing is, she doesn't do digital art! She uses her mac to look at the pictures of her canvas paintings that my brother photographs in high res and then touches up for her with his cheap PC.

• Locked thread