Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Despite Jobs decrying large screen sizes and styluses, Cook went ahead and went down that path anyway. What's next? Taking advice from a doctor that practices western medicine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Moridin920 posted:

it's not android's fault you don't do backups, no system is 100% infallible.

i just bought a new phone after using my old one for... 2-3 years probably

The fact it wasn't my phone still hasn't changed since the last time I said it wasn't my phone.

naem
May 29, 2011

naem posted:

I k da I guy who is evsry single Super Nintendo game ever mad on his phone which seemed neat until I thought "why"

This autocorrect brought to you by Apple ™©®™©

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I like my Android phone but I only buy Nexus devices so I can see why maybe some people don't like them.

Awps R. Band
Feb 3, 2016
I clicked this thread because I thought it was about making GBS threads/farting apple flavor

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

If your not using a nexus device your using Android incorrectly hope that helps.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I actually liked Windows phone better than iOS or Android but it's basically dead now and never grew an app ecosystem so now I just use a Nexus 5X like everyone else I know.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
The best part about iPhones are the cameras and all the good photo apps. Who knew devs having to deal with only like 3 camera types and processors could make photo apps be really good?

Otherwise for everything else Android owns and IOS blows hella.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I don't know who is more of an irritating cockgobbler right now - the "of course I have an iPhone, I'm not a poor and my time is too valuable to janitor my phone" folk or the "people who buy iPhones are just brainwashed sheeple in thrall to a marketing campaign" people.

It's a goddamn phone, who gives a gently caress.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

loquacius posted:

They release Mac binaries of basically everything on Steam now but good luck playing anything intensive on a computer you can't put a decent GPU in

This is a legit criticism and nVidea and Apple need to get it over with and gently caress already. this slap fight has gone on long enough

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Robot Pride posted:

an iphone 6plus costs $649 direct from apple right now....where the gently caress are you paying $850 for a loving phone? the regular 6 costs $549 and the s7 costs $694

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone6

https://www.att.com/cellphones/samsung/galaxy-s7.html#sku=sku7840239

Maybe he got some real memory capacity with it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

JnnyThndrs posted:

I don't know who is more of an irritating cockgobbler right now - the "of course I have an iPhone, I'm not a poor and my time is too valuable to janitor my phone" folk or the "people who buy iPhones are just brainwashed sheeple in thrall to a marketing campaign" people.

Mayhaps you forget the 'phone' as you call it is bigger than the bible.

*shits self*

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 23, 2016

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Seashell Salesman posted:

I actually liked Windows phone better than iOS or Android but it's basically dead now and never grew an app ecosystem so now I just use a Nexus 5X like everyone else I know.

:same:

Had the best UI design somehow (a first for MS) but was firmly and thoroughly driven into the ground by MS's high-level business decisions, like most good things MS does (see: Zune)

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i bought my girlfriend a pretty good windows nokia a few years back and it was nice, although there weren't many apps there was everything you could possibly need. then a year later the screen broke and both replacements i ordered were about 1 mm too big to fit into the phone frame lol

HERE maps is a pretty good alternative to google maps with non-poo poo offline maps functionality though

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Offline maps worked great on HERE (its best feature) but since switching to Android I have been floored by how much better the Google Maps app works in general. If WP had ever taken off enough to force Google to play ball and allow its poo poo to be ported or at least not actively sabotage it I would probably be a WP Google Maps user right now

Certainly both are miles ahead of Apple Maps

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

JnnyThndrs posted:

I'm not sure when was the last time I had to janitor my phone or do dev work on it as if I'm using a nightly build image, but I'm obviously a poor who doesn't understand the good things in life like Mr. Infrastructure Coder does

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
Steve Jobs shorted life.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

Steve Jobs shorted life.

ysss

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I just wait until the newest iPhone comes out and buy the previous version off of some donkus on craigslist for like two hundred bucks. Early adopters are idiots.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
if my iphoen breaks I get a new one from work :D

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don't understand the advantage of earphones going through the power port? Wouldn't that make your expensive Beats earphones or whatever worthless?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Lol, how are those puts doing?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't understand the advantage of earphones going through the power port? Wouldn't that make your expensive Beats earphones or whatever worthless?

yeah now you can either buy the new Apple Beats or you can buy the $35.99 power-to-jack adaptor

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Apple has been less a tech company and more of a luxury consumer discretionary for a long time. Their operating margin is just miles ahead of anyone else in the space. No one cares about new charging cords or any of the other annoyances that are common with the various devices the sell.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah from a business standpoint it's pretty loving brilliant really

their margins are pretty fuckin sick

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah, guess you just have to buy headphones that are either made by Apple or only work with Apple products, this is an entirely benevolent design decision they made with the consumer in mind

You also can't listen to music while your phone is plugged in, right

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

You also can't listen to music while your phone is plugged in, right

Nah you gotta buy the extra special power cord with the passthrough which allows you to charge AND listen at the same time (only $10 more).

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Look I make $140 an hour and can't be bothered to sit around hashing kernels and flashing ROMs when I want to listen to a song. My time is so valuable I need music to just work.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

JnnyThndrs posted:

Please listen to this person he speaks the truth.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Look I make $140 an hour and can't be bothered to sit around hashing kernels and flashing ROMs when I want to listen to a song. My time is so valuable I need music to just work.

I don't think you're making the point you think you're making here.

You're definitely making one, though

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Necc0 posted:

I don't think you're making the point you think you're making here.

You're definitely making one, though

do tell

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Dating 3 olives?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My mother uses an Android phone

Are there goons ITT who seriously and earnestly want me to believe they are more incompetent at using technology than my mother?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

loquacius posted:

Are there goons ITT who seriously and earnestly want me to believe they are more incompetent at using technology than my mother?

I work in tech and I am a huge retard, and incompetent. I Drool on myself all the time, and my job gives me iphones.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

loquacius posted:

The market is littered with bottom garbage tier sub $100 Android phones which people seem to be using just fine without having to hand flash images via console or desoldering chips but I guess those people are all savvy tech gurus.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
those people are suffering so much they don't even realise it until they finally have the good fortune to lay their hands on an iPhone

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah from a business standpoint it's pretty loving brilliant really

their margins are pretty fuckin sick

They make money on everything from the hardware margin, software sales through Itunes and also on the warranty plans.

Overall the Iphone brings in something like 50% of all revenue for Apple.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lichy posted:

those people are suffering so much they don't even realise it until they finally have the good fortune to lay their hands on an iPhone

Yes, in general the more you are suffering the less you tend to notice your suffering

this is an idea that makes perfect internal sense and stands up to all kinds of scrutiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Three-Phase posted:

Please listen to this person he speaks the truth.

I trust Three-Phase because phones have batteries.

Also is it still normal to tape the leads on a 10hp 480V motor with cambric, then rubber, then vinyl or has the world moved on?

• Locked thread