Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
outerw
Oct 22, 2012
A kid enters a competition to write a poem for some kind of McDonalds/Disney amusementpark. To win he gets hypnotised to write the best poem about the park's clown mascott. His plan works and he gets to live in the park. At first everything is cool, but then a catastrophe happens and the park becomes this 1984 dystopian nightmare world. The kid has to work in a factory. In the end the whole park collapses into the ground. The twist is the kid is still under hypnosis and simply dreamt the whole series of events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i read a series where the island of Nantucket was transported back to the early Bronze Age. they started making muskets and black powder and conquered the indians and babalyon or something? they had a single lovely old metal cruiser from WW2, and it had a black lesbian captain.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The USA and USSR have competing moon bases and the two guys in charge independently come to the conclusion there's gonna be a nuclear war so they decide to give everyone a new problem to worry about by declaring Lunar independance. One of the USSR guy's assistants is a KGB agent and she tries to whack him but the other saves him. Near the end of the book Captain USA comes down to Earth for meeting or something but his heart is poo poo because it wasn't great to begin with then he started living in 0g. I honestly do not remember how it ends.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

I remember a book that was about some kid with sever autism or ADD who goes to spend a summer with his deadbeat dad. The dad decides that he is going to quit smoking as long as his son quits his medication, and poo poo goes really south for the kid. I remember he's having like a total meltdown and is trying to call his mom to get picked up and freaking out about it for several chapters.

Another book about two brothers, one of which is a total Dino nerd. The other brother starts making fun of Dino boys gay egg fossil and smashes it, which teleports them to a prehistoric forest with REAL DINOS. Eventually they escape and the non Dino brother is like "thanks for knowing about dinos and saving my life."

Finally I really enjoyed the magic tree house books and my favorite was when they got teleported to feudal Japan and joined a ninja clan

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Rutibex posted:

i read a series where the island of Nantucket was transported back to the early Bronze Age. they started making muskets and black powder and conquered the indians and babalyon or something? they had a single lovely old metal cruiser from WW2, and it had a black lesbian captain.

The Nantucket series by SM Stirling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nantucket_series

outerw
Oct 22, 2012
Another one I read was the Travelling Vampire Show. It was about this group of teenagers and this mystery about vampires, but it was just filled with weird sexual tension. Like the main kid had the hots for his aunt who kinda liked it, a fat kid was ogling his sister's vagina after she fell down, the love interest was a 15 year old girl who was molested by her dad. The protagonist walked in on her naked and actually came in his pants. It was very strange for me at 12 years old, when I just wanted a spooky book about vampires.

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
I remember one about some kid who lives on a tropical island all by himself until he's like, 12. He might have built a robot buddy? Then he gets a letter from his dad and it turns out that the kid is like, the only non wizard around so the dad just put him in a pocket dimension. I think the kid breaks into a prison later with the help of a giant crow, because he has to rescue some sort of dragon man.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

I Was The Fury posted:

I remember a book that was about some kid with sever autism or ADD who goes to spend a summer with his deadbeat dad. The dad decides that he is going to quit smoking as long as his son quits his medication, and poo poo goes really south for the kid. I remember he's having like a total meltdown and is trying to call his mom to get picked up and freaking out about it for several chapters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Pigza_Loses_Control #2 in the joey Pigza series

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!
there was this horror book with a spooky cover similar to the "scary stories to tell in the dark" style drawings i think and it was about like this kid that isn't too happy with his life/parents or something? so he gets whisked away to this mansion for kids who are pissed off where everything is perfect and at some point he becomes a vampire i think..? then in the end like all the food and people and walls and everything turns out to be made out of dust, its all dust

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Pony Incident posted:

there was this horror book with a spooky cover similar to the "scary stories to tell in the dark" style drawings i think and it was about like this kid that isn't too happy with his life/parents or something? so he gets whisked away to this mansion for kids who are pissed off where everything is perfect and at some point he becomes a vampire i think..? then in the end like all the food and people and walls and everything turns out to be made out of dust, its all dust

The Thief of Always, by Clive Barker. I had this version too. As an adult I read one without the illustrations and found it a lot less scary.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!

skasion posted:

The Thief of Always, by Clive Barker. I had this version too. As an adult I read one without the illustrations and found it a lot less scary.

aw yes that is the book ! that is the one !!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

outerw posted:

Another one I read was the Travelling Vampire Show. It was about this group of teenagers and this mystery about vampires, but it was just filled with weird sexual tension. Like the main kid had the hots for his aunt who kinda liked it, a fat kid was ogling his sister's vagina after she fell down, the love interest was a 15 year old girl who was molested by her dad. The protagonist walked in on her naked and actually came in his pants. It was very strange for me at 12 years old, when I just wanted a spooky book about vampires.

:eyepop:

I can't really protest much though, I read way more Stephen King as a wee lad than I probably ought've.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Yep there it is. It was a difficult read at the time because it was one of the first protagonist though processes that I could somewhat empathize with. The pure confusion and fear that comes around when you can tell that you're losing control of your own brain is surreal and I rarely see it done in media, let alone YA novels.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

wheatpuppy posted:

I forget who posted it a while back, but the one where the brothers find a shed/barn that operates on a different timescale is Singularity by William Sleator.

I remember reading this one, the wonky time stuff was because of a connection to another dimension through the shed's sink drain or something, and the brother in the shed would watch as this orobouros-like snake thing was slowly working its way up the drain. At the end of the book the other brother is pissed and wants to take his turn in the shed, but it turns out that the snake thing has finally finished traveling in the meantime and the connection is severed, so now they're 'stuck' being different ages.

My contribution to the thread: I vaguely remember a book from a junior high book fair (so this was around 92 or 93 maybe) about a robot girl. Most of the details I've forgotten, other than that things happen and she ends up on her own trying just to live a life, and at one point her hard drive gets full and she has to start archiving her memories on CDs? I know it's a vague as hell description... :negative:

charms
Oct 14, 2012

A picture book about a war between the good yellow hippos and the evil red hippos. The pictures were all very detailed cross-sections of scenes in the war with legends attached explaining everything, and I remember that the red hippos used flails as weapons and the yellow hippos used these things:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I remember a book about a kid who nearly got struck by lightening and after that he could hear his freckles talk, but he needed some kind of electrical conductor in order to hear them. I remember he only talked to like 2 of his freckles but all of them talked, including ones on the bottom of his feet who hated their lives. I think at the end of the book he skins his knee or something and kills one of his freckles? God drat, if I'm remembering this correctly that book is loving awesome.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

This was a series in the 90s. I got the first 4 out of a kids book club.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Post apoc book about a girl genius who wrote/thought in old style short hand. She was also taught karate from a 'wise little man' who beat a half dozen would be robbers 'without moving an inch'. The antagonist was lead by a general who'd had his hand amputated and cauterized because it got crushed by a cave in in a nuclear shelter he was hiding in. Mostof the action took place in/around SLC Utah

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Remember Maniac Magee? That was some good poo poo. IIRC it was about intersectionality.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

I KNOW I read the first one about swallowing a key, but I have zero recollection. Weird.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Crossposting from Book Barn; I figured this one out on my own, but sharing here because it was driving me crazy.

I remembered in the 1990s I had an older (1960s-70s) paperback that was a YA novel where all the characters have amnesia and are wandering around rural England trying to put things together. I recall how the cover looked, and that one character was the Man in the Bowler Hat. The part that should've been the easy-google was that I was pretty sure the title included the name "Jem", but googling "ya novel jem" or "sci fi novel jem" kept swamping me with hits for either the Jem who's in To Kill a Mockingbird, or the 1980s cartoon Jem and the Holograms.

Finally I took a different angle, and I remember that the cover had a margin of color around the whole front, which I recognized as being really typical to the publisher. Even though the book was a little dark, my memory of the cover really resembled the Dell Yearling style (and I associate that border of color with the horse logo). Turns out googling "dell yearling jem" got me my title: Spirit of Jem, 1947 novel by P. H. Newby, who didn't normally write kids' stuff. Cheerily summarized on WorldCat as "A nightmarish adventure in which a strange young man tries to take over the world by means of an amnesia-inducing poison."

Tinypic acting up, here's cover: http://www.orielisbooks.com/shop_image/product/000969.jpg

So that's my adventure, not being able to figure out the book was driving me crazy, feeling clever now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

-Another scifi series about some kind of freewheeling space trader. He had a psychic monkey as a pet/crewmate. As part of some kind of trading fetch quest he shipped some high tech tools or something to a planet of weird alien eskimos and traded them for some kind of exotic organic gemstone that he wanted to sell for profit back in space-civilization. I don't really remember what the overarcing plot was supposed to be but I'm pretty sure the psychic monkey guy was involved, it was probably boring based on how little of the book I remember.

The Zero Stone (Andre Norton)

KiteAuraan posted:

A book about some guy who really wanted to go out and fish for a manta ray or something that had killed his father and taken his pearl or something.

The Black Pearl, with guest star MANTA DIABLO

Cthulu Carl posted:

- Something called 'Space Cadets' that was a series about cadets in a space academy getting into "wacky" space hi-jinks.

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet?

Whooping Crabs posted:

Some story where a kid was taken to a spaceship and was the representative of his species who had to lobby not to get earth destroyed.

Have spacesuit, will travel

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Oooh, a book about a kid who has to learn to control miniature armies by just barely touching the VR army men with his fingers, and moving them around. If he gets too close, he destroys the soldiers. He's brought up in a sterile environment with clothes and walls that can change to his wants. I distinctly remember him talking about having dinosaur pajamas at one point because he was a kid who love dinosaurs like any kid. Also his clothes wash off in the shower.

I also remember him meeting a girl who does the same thing, and also a dwarf or deformed midget or something who is also super smart. They control armies in war games, but maybe it turns out they're controlling actual, real people all Ender's Game-style, and when they gently caress up and touch a soldier instead of getting within 2mm or whatever they actually kill a person in real life.

Also there's the standard "raised by a silhouette in a monitor evil council" thing going on.

Virtual War Chronologs by Gloria Skurzyski

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
- Scottish Young Adult fiction. Post apocalyptic. Everything's kinda gone medieval. Opening chapter involves the people of a castle being super excited because it's the day of the big race, which involves two of the last remaining double decker buses bombing hell for leather around the castle grounds. It may be that it was the bus companies who were the feudal powers of the land?

- Young adult fiction series where dudes digging a tunnel find a device that makes humanity as a whole forget how technology works and feel fear when near anything too high-tech - everyone kinda reverts to a Bronze Age level. A few people remember how stuff like electricity and penicillin work and are treated like outcasts. It was split into three sub-stories if I remember rightly. One was a young girl who ended up with a tribe of Afro-Caribbeans who were hunter-gathering around middle England, one involved a kid cast off by his tribe for loving around with a kettle.

- Young adult fantasy book series where two school bullies are chasing a nerdy fat kid [who's a piece of poo poo, I think he's called either Rodney or Roderick?] down an embankment and accidentally fall into a Magical Fantasy Land. The Magical Fantasy Land is having a problem because everyone is such a hippy drippy pacifist and there's the usual dark lord riling up the Goblins et cetera. The fat piece of poo poo nerd ends up becoming a rad hero dude [predictably] and at one point they meet another dude from our Earth who's a Welsh hippy who fell into the fantasy world while out hiking.

Disgusting Coward fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 2, 2016

• Locked thread