Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Beet Wagon posted:

- A book about a girl (maybe?) who finds a dragon egg and then has a dragon. It's pretty much all about her dragon doing wacky stuff.

Jeremy Thatcher, dragon hatcher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Beet Wagon posted:

- A book about a girl (maybe?) who finds a dragon egg and then has a dragon. It's pretty much all about her dragon doing wacky stuff.
Indian in the cupboard

Beet Wagon posted:

- A book about a shark, sometimes told from the perspective of the shark, maybe? Like not jaws though, this shark was basically just chill and had babies and ate fish or whatever. I wanna say it was called Sevengill but I can't be hosed to google it
Return of the Indian in the cupboard

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there was this fantasy novel where an evil d&d party had to bring back evil because good was too successful and the world was so unbalanced that it was going to be destroyed. also the head good wizard was a rapist?

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ein cooler Typ posted:

dae remember that book about the magic pot that cooked unlimited pasta

That's Strega Nona

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

canpakes posted:

A book about a family and maybe the mom and dad die or go away or something and it's about the older sister taking care of them or something? Assigned reading in middle school

What is this one you fuckers

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A kid can turn invisible, and he uses it to incestuously grab his aunt's tits or something? Also the book is multiple stories from different members of the family y that can go invisible, as generations pass, I think.

Seriously messed with my 10-year-old head.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Also remember reading a contemporary book where a magical peddler shows up in some small quaint New England town hawking some sort of special polish, and the secret is that whatever you shine with it becomes an animated object and starts attacking people. This really broke my suspension of disbelief because it was like the 80s and who the gently caress was buying miracle ointment from traveling patent doctors in the loving 80s? The climax involved a fight with an animated giant buzzsaw blade because the village idiot had shined up the saw in the local lumber mill. It was defeated by the powers of HOMEMADE LYE SOAP, which again, this is the loving 80s, nobody was making homemade soap while watching Alf. I suspect whoever wrote this book was about 90.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I remember liking the first My Teacher is an Alien book, but thinking the rest of them were dumb and preachy. It was probably my young mind's knee jerk reaction to being exposed to the concept that human beings are really lovely and maybe don't necessarily deserve to exist.

When I was a kid my cousin turned me onto Christopher Pike young adult novels. In 6th or 7th grade I had to do a book report on a book of my choosing, so I choose the Christopher Pike book I had most recently read. I don't remember all of it, but it was about a high school creeper who set up his camera on a timer to take photos of the girl's locker room. But the timer got messed up and most of the girls had left before it started taking photos, and there was only one nerdy girl showering alone, and then some other girls sneak up on her and murder her with a bat or something. It all ends up being related to some drug ring where the girls were the only suppliers of cocaine to the small town, and they killed her to cover it up. Later the tie the creeper dude up and torture him (I think?) and try to kill him by forcing him to inhale cocaine laced with something so it will look like a drug overdose.

It never occurred to me this might not be appropriate subject matter to read to my 6th or 7th grade class until I saw the horrified faces of my parents when the asked me to read them the report the night before.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I remember a book called Two Under Par about some kid who isn't happy with his new stepdad (who owns a mini golf course) but at the end he grows to tolerate him and shows him the texas-shaped birthmark on his rear end as kind of a gesture of trust.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Some book series where this kid finds out that some of his teachers and principal are aliens and they gave us TV to modernize us but now they regret it because it's holding back our development or something.
gently caress if I can remember the name of it now.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

GastonEatTheEggs posted:

the dystopian book where people could only have 2 kids and there was a group of third children that had to go around hiding.

there were sequels too i think.

I definitely read the first book! As a third child myself, it brought me a delightful terror to read.
It's called Among The Hidden.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Monachos posted:

Was it The Devil's Arithmetic? In 1999 Showtime made a movie based on it with Kirsten Dunst and Brittany Murphy.

Yes it was, although the title doesn't ring a bell in the slightest.

Did anyone else have to read "Holes" in school? What a loving awful book.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
YA fiction is churned out formulaically and I don't know what to say about it, maybe weird hosed books would be a better topic but who has the patience to read a lovely book? I will say that the Golden Compass books are actually halfway decent and probably the best in that category. I was a literate child post Harry Potter but I devoured the stuff as a kid.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
There is this post-apocalyptic world where everything was a total industrial poo poo hole. TV was literally an intravenous drug (gives them hallucinations that are programmed) and it slowly rots the brain to the point where hardcore addicts are vegetables. Books are totally gone from this world.

Protagonist is a kid with an allergy to the tv drug so he can't take it. I don't know if he's the only person to ever be allergic to this or not. I guess he learns how to read or something? Except there ARE NO BOOKS TO READ and he tries to find the last book in the world with the help of some old guy who is wise and knows what the world was like before junkie TV.

Basically the only sober person in the world goes on a journey while everyone else is too junked up.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Applewhite posted:

There was this one book about this kid that got stranded in the Canadian wilderness and the only thing he had with him was this hatchet.
I remember he had to use the hatchet to survive and that hatchet came in handy in all sorts of unexpected ways.
He even used the hatchet to start a fire by scraping the hatchet against some flint.

Basically the hatchet ends up saving this kid's life.

I this it was called "Living in the Woods Axe Boy"

This is obviously an ironic post, but the book was "Hatchet".

There is one book from my childhood that I'm curious about. It was post apocalyptic, taking place after a nuclear war. Humanity had been reduced to a roughly neolithic stage of civilization with humans utilizing stone tools, being capable of a limited amount of metallurgy, and dwelling in primitive cities. Some how the protagonist happens upon a nuclear holocaust proof briefcase computer created by NASA to help rebuild modern civilization. At some point in the plot humanity comes into conflict with a race of mutant rat people, who conveniently live in the sewers beneath human settlements, and are eager on recovering the computer for themselves. There is an ensuing conflict, and at first the ratkin have the upper hand, but then the humans venture beneath the surface and napalm the ever living gently caress out the rat people dwellings with greek fire esque Molotov cocktails. In the end some rebel faction of the rat people take charge of their species, make peace with humanity, and agree to vacate human settlements as a result of their desire to progress without utilizing past human technology.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Also this short story in a school textbook about a girl who played marbles and you could see her thumb muscles she was so drat good.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I remember reading all the Hank the Cowdog books, but I don't remember anything about them except that Hank had a sidekick who was the Rom to his Quark

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Geirskogul posted:

Also this short story in a school textbook about a girl who played marbles and you could see her thumb muscles she was so drat good.

When I see prominent muscles in the hand area, I always think "gifted marble handler."

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

FuturePastNow posted:

I remember reading all the Hank the Cowdog books, but I don't remember anything about them except that Hank had a sidekick who was the Rom to his Quark

Every Quark needs a Rom.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

FuturePastNow posted:

I remember Hank had a thing for a collie at a neighboring ranch and I always filled in the blanks to their physical romance.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Fonzarelli posted:

i have really vague memories of some post apocalyptic sci fi book where the world was overrun with like, cyborg meat monsters and kids were hiding from them, I think it was early 2000s

I found it, it was Shade's Children by Garth Nix and it was super hosed up for a kid's book https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shade%27s_Children

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
greys anatomy, i remember it being something about alien autopsies

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Rohan Kishibe posted:

- A book with a guy building a robot that looked just like a teenager for reasons unknown and sending him to high school. Despite the kid acting as BEEP BOOP and Mr Spock like as possible no one caught on. This is despite him being knocked over by a bully at some point and being all "I CANNOT SELF RIGHT" since for some reason he couldn't work his gyroscope and motors at the same time. I think he foils some kind of smuggling ring or something at the end.

i remember one w like some alien becomes a student at a high school. was really weird. esp cause the alien was really REALLY unimaginitive, just like purple with tentacle ears or some poo poo?

i read the first one out of boredom and the main kid like sneaks into a special fuckin third alien bathroom (that they added to their school?) filled with weird alien hygine/waste disposal functions? he doesnt know what they do and bumps into alien dude and is just like "hey yo whats up i know youre like alien pissing or whatever, but like lets be friends' and that spawns a ten book long book series i guess

i didnt finish it

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
something like 'the nude testament' i think it was some sort of pinup calendar of four dudes but i might be mixing that up with other memories from later on

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

I think it's A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
one fat summer

I had a hot teacher who had me do a book report on this title

I wasn't fat yet and suspect she witnessed my pubescent boners

I won't cut grass to this day

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

skeletonotherkin posted:

There is one book from my childhood that I'm curious about. It was post apocalyptic, taking place after a nuclear war. Humanity had been reduced to a roughly neolithic stage of civilization with humans utilizing stone tools, being capable of a limited amount of metallurgy, and dwelling in primitive cities. Some how the protagonist happens upon a nuclear holocaust proof briefcase computer created by NASA to help rebuild modern civilization. At some point in the plot humanity comes into conflict with a race of mutant rat people, who conveniently live in the sewers beneath human settlements, and are eager on recovering the computer for themselves. There is an ensuing conflict, and at first the ratkin have the upper hand, but then the humans venture beneath the surface and napalm the ever living gently caress out the rat people dwellings with greek fire esque Molotov cocktails. In the end some rebel faction of the rat people take charge of their species, make peace with humanity, and agree to vacate human settlements as a result of their desire to progress without utilizing past human technology.

I think I read that one too but no idea what it was called

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I've got two books that I don't remember the name of, though I feel I've probably mixed up some details between them.

In one, it's in some futuristic setting where long distance teleportation is common and part of the protagonists schooling is to survive on some random environment that he knows nothing about beforehand. He brings a big jacket in case it's cold, is told he wont need it, but would have failed if he didn't bring it. I'm pretty sure the main character doesn't realize that one of the first people he found on this other planet is a girl, because she's wearing hella gear and no makeup. I think he and the others get left to survive longer than they should but eventually get home.

In the other, it's futuristic but everything sucks because there's not enough resources. Some kids waste time at some future-arcade where they get to pretend they're on some other planet via VR or some other thing. After a time, they realize they're no longer in VR and they've actually been dropped off on some other planet and have to survive. Sucks for them I guess.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 17, 2016

hemroid xfoli8r
Oct 9, 2008
An anthology that wasn't outright terrifying but still invoked a sense of unease, containing the following stories:

- an evil Christmas tree that falls down when nobody is looking at it, smashing a piano and then killing the boy's goldfish

- a boy discovers an abyss in his basement, his dad starts to build a brick wall around it to seal it off but looks in and somehow gets sucked or falls in. The boy picks up where his dad left off and finishes sealing the abyss

- a girl happens across a boy sitting on a tree stump reading Catcher in the Rye. Nothing happens to her but the implication is that the boy is actually some kind of advanced predatory plant mimicking a form attractive to her like a Venus flytrap\pitcher plant

- a kid who has a talent for painting beautiful paintings more vibrant than life is visited by two people to convince his parents to send him to some kind of gifted school. The kid is strongly implied to be autistic. In the end before they can convince him, the kid enters the painting and lives there forever? The narrator mentions that the kid is probably happier there.

- a boy discovers his old neighbor digging a hole in his backyard at night. At some point the neighbor collapses into the hole. The boy picks up the shovel and buries him.

Man would I love to read those again.

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

maniac mcgee

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

i guess it's spelled magee. that's dumb

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

pik_d posted:

In the other, it's futuristic but everything sucks because there's not enough resources. Some kids waste time at some future-arcade where they get to pretend they're on some other planet via VR or some other thing. After a time, they realize they're no longer in VR and they've actually been dropped off on some other planet and have to survive. Sucks for them I guess.

Invitation to The Game! I feel like this one would lose a lot of punch for the Minecraft generation.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

A kid can turn invisible, and he uses it to incestuously grab his aunt's tits or something? Also the book is multiple stories from different members of the family y that can go invisible, as generations pass, I think.

Seriously messed with my 10-year-old head.

This book was creepy as poo poo. Pretty sure it was "Fade" by Robert Cormier

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Gabriel Pope posted:

Invitation to The Game! I feel like this one would lose a lot of punch for the Minecraft generation.

Ah thanks. After some searching I identified the other book as Tunnel in the Sky.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Not so much a YA novel, but a random book I found in my Jr High Library.

The only bits I remember was there were two brothers. There was a scene during one brothers birthday, and his fathers concubine is all " hey wanna gently caress" and he is all " NO" because that would be super disrespectful.
Then later the father was like " It's good you declined, because she's your present" or something like that.

It's all sort of "The Prince" with the guy . I don't remember the middle, but the ending is the dude finding his brother again and his brother is kind of loopy. saying all this stuff. The brother has some followers and a pregnant wife.
Dude A is sort of thinking " Maaaaan, I could really do something with this."

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
I remember a horror anthology I once read as a teenager. The only story I can recall very well involves a kid in the hospital for some minor ailment, but the other patient in the room is scheduled to have his foot amputated. He switches the charts around so that the main character gets sent to surgery. I think it ends with the main character going under because nobody believes him. There were stories about evil circus clowns and some monster in a field too.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost
A book about twin brother and sister who are super genius computer programmer teens and make the worlds most popular VR game but it gets a virus and somebody dies for real in the game so they have to go into the game to find the virus and save their company and also not go to jail.

I think there was a scene where they have to fight or run from video game VR addicts in an alley and they're basically twitchy meth tweakers from abusing VR too much.

It was called Gemini Game and it ruled.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
A family is going on a road trip and the two boys get pulled into another world inside a truck stop bathroom I think. The younger boy goes to a land where literally anime is real, not like real people that act all anime but actual cartoon characters. The older brother dies somehow, but gets brought back as a zombie by an evil dragon lady. The dragon lady was also a necrophiliac and she would set the older brother on fire before doing the deed so he'd be warm. There's some kind of magic pebble I think. At one point they're trying to cross the Mexican border I think, but at the boarder check point a bunch of lizard men dressed as gestapo agents pulls everyone off the bus and executes them because they were all copies of other people.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I'm not a schizophrenic this is a real book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

1. A first hand fictionalized account of cynthia parker's story that was terrible & also the first non childrens book i ever read.

2. A book about a kid with something called a Welph attached to his sternum. He goes on an adventure while the welph slowly infects him with Roxitocin

i don't know what the gently caress was going on in that second book

• Locked thread