Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

My rough draft for Too Much Information is now available!

The current draft contains everything necessary to play the game, and also the requirements for Challenges 2-A and 2-B. I still need to finish Chapter 3 (the full setting chapter) and the appendix that will have resources to help the player and the GM, and because of that they are not in this draft. I think once it's time to actually playtest, I'll release it as a folder with individual chapters because of course the game made for the contest to poke fun at Monte Cook would balloon into a much bigger project than I anticipated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Despite the deadline pushing I might be out; the time I set aside for this was eaten up by IRL commitments. Sorry about that. To those still in, good luck! buddy:

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
...And then both the laptop and the usb with the rough draft on my end got corrupted and died.

Apologies to join the growing ranks, but I'll have to bow out of this one. I'll still try to complete it in my own time, however.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's not looking like I'll be getting this one done in time either. I not only procrastinated too much for how much material I need to make, I'm once again going through medication withdrawal because lately I seem to have the worst experience trying to get a drat refill on my cymbalta.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I didn't get as far as I wanted to, but I made some good progress.

Here's a piece of fiction for On Any Other Day. It uses three fonts, three font sizes, and is as cheeseball as I can make it.

Here's my progress so far in a Google Doc. I think my work is about half done - unfortunately two of the other creative directors at my agency were out this week, so I had to pick up their slack, so my usual "work on my own projects" time was just about nil until Friday. Next week should be better.

I'm going to add these two links to my old post as well.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Here's the goods for now. It's playable in this state, at least if you know how to play D&D, but I think it came out a little bland. If I still have any wherewithal next week I'll try to punch it up. What I've learned so far is that I'm really bad at spelling.

Also please note that I anticipated the question on the realism of multikill and rebutted it with the bulletproof, "I said so, and I'm the game author." argument.

Now can I complete Challenge 2A and still have time to buy new socks?

Edit: I mean anybody with real planning skills would have started on the draft in week 1, but this thread is pretty good evidence that happened 0 times out of 34.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 18, 2016

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
The real world slapped me in the face too. Sorry, folks, I'm afraid I'm out.

This system I was putting together has some promise, though. Watch for it on Kickstarter.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xyGwbTIzw2EenMWRkMZPpABqMGXT9y8LAM-T8Kl6ypg/edit?usp=sharing

Here's my super rough draft of Hole in My Life. I've got most of the core rules for it down, other than some possible tweaking as I move forward. I suck butts at writing fiction stuff, so that's going to be much slower going. Also, this is meant to be more of a micro-game that you play in an evening, so the rules are super short. I can probably come up with some other excuses as necessary.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Having an awful week while trying to work on a game with an awful subject is not fun.

I give up.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Sorry to hear of people dropping out; as someone who has a few half-games from old TG contests, I know it can be really hard, and I appreciate that you gave it a shot. If you want to keep tinkering with it and letting this thread know about your progress, I know I'd love to follow that.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I'm still missing a couple fundamental chapters. I'll spend tomorrow just puttinf stuff on paper. I swear this will get done.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I am also missing a few chapters - HOWEVER I do want to post what I have so far just to keep moving and try to polish off the rules tomorrow! This is my first time doing this, so it's actually kind of amazing when you start to put stuff down on paper and O poo poo IT KEEPS GOING as you think of little rules quirks you hadn't considered when the rules just existed in this nebulous form in your head.

So far, Character Creation and basic conflict resolution are down, which is the core of the system. I'll need to fill out some further details about the world, extended conflicts (combats) and what impact the major arcana in the tarot cards have (which is the primary method by which I actually live up to the concept of synchronicity).

BUT I'M NOT DROPPING OUT. I need to prove to the world that something can get done with Zybourne Clock.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-WgKIvPsDqYLXBGYXRYYTFFcmc?usp=sharing

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Antivehicular posted:

Sorry to hear of people dropping out; as someone who has a few half-games from old TG contests, I know it can be really hard, and I appreciate that you gave it a shot. If you want to keep tinkering with it and letting this thread know about your progress, I know I'd love to follow that.

I'm out , but if I get the rough draft ever finished up I'll post the google doc link in the thread.

Good luck to all who remain!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, I hate to say "me too", but I've been short on both inspiration and time and just need to focus on prior obligations and the moment, so I'm out. I'm really happy to see this run, though, and I'd love to see a return to more regular TG contests.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

Got some stuff written up, but not quite enough for a rough draft. Gonna keep plugging away for now!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

In light of people continuing to work, and the fact that I would rather judge as many games as possible, I'll bend the rules again and say that anyone who can post a playable draft by the Week 3 deadline is still in/will still be judged.

Speaking of which...

PART 3: PLAYABLE DRAFTS

For this week, post a playable draft of your game! It doesn't have to be complete or polished, but it should be in a state where it can be played. Deadline is Sunday night, the 25th.

BONUS CHALLENGE 3: INADVISABLE STRETCH GOALS: OUTLINES

The bonus challenge for this week is intended for those of you who may be ahead of the production curve. Time to get back in scheduling Hell by adding a stretch goal!

For this one, your challenge is to outline another project that will be attached to your main one. This project must also be named after a Police song, and it must be a song title that nobody used for their contest entry; however, this time you're free to choose. The new product can be a supplement for your main project, a standalone minigame, or the legendary ~fiction collection~ that adds dubious value to so many Kickstarters. In true stretch-goal fashion, you may farm this out to a friend (and then blame them when it's late, natch).

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Antivehicular posted:

In light of people continuing to work, and the fact that I would rather judge as many games as possible, I'll bend the rules again and say that anyone who can post a playable draft by the Week 3 deadline is still in/will still be judged.
Thanks for this extension. I had another thing to write last week which sapped my power to put my ideas down in writing.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I don't want to be That Guy, but is De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da available for this challenge? I see FutureVillainBand hasn't posted since declaring entry.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Rather Watch Them posted:

I don't want to be That Guy, but is De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da available for this challenge? I see FutureVillainBand hasn't posted since declaring entry.

Given that FVB has never posted, I'm okay with you snagging it.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Antivehicular posted:

In light of this I'm gonna hold onto what I have for a little longer as I can't help but think its terrible in the state its in.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Hey, I just discovered that the most convenient time for me to playtest will be next week on the evening of Monday the 26th. I'd like to claim a playtest as soon as I can, if possible. I'll be running for 4-5 hours and will have 2-3 players excluding myself. If anyone can have their playtest draft all set by the evening of the 25th, that would be great.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

DalaranJ posted:

Hey, I just discovered that the most convenient time for me to playtest will be next week on the evening of Monday the 26th. I'd like to claim a playtest as soon as I can, if possible. I'll be running for 4-5 hours and will have 2-3 players excluding myself. If anyone can have their playtest draft all set by the evening of the 25th, that would be great.

I'll commit to that. I'm on British Summer Time, but I'll have you a playable (but possibly bad) game by the time I go to bed on the 25th.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Will have my first playtest this thursday. Hopefully, IŽll have something to test with the players by then. Will let you know how devastatingly theyŽll critique the current design stage. Bwahaha.....ha....haaa.....haaaa.....hmpf.

potatocubed posted:

I'll commit to that. I'm on British Summer Time, but I'll have you a playable (but possibly bad) game by the time I go to bed on the 25th.

Bad but playable describes 90% of modern tabletop rpgs :D
So at least we are in good company.

Edit 2:
I present the Playable Beta for Truth Hits Everybody.
And of course, my own playtesting fell through tonight. drat.

Mr.Misfit fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 22, 2016

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
And hot on Mr Misfit's heels, here is the playable draft of Can't Stand Losing You

You'll also need the sheet of citizens; it's about 14 short of a full deck but there are enough people there to play with.

E: A maybe-easier-to-read pdf version.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 22, 2016

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
And here we go!

I have a design of No Thyme This Time up for review and possible play testing.

I have a play testing date set up for October 1st; I'll see if I can delay in choosing a game to playtest as a result, see if I can accommodate some late-comer.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, right, the deadline is tonight not Sunday. Well, I can handle that.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Oh gently caress. :smith:

I'll be a couple of days late.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Deadline is Sunday night, the 25th.
:confused:

I only have one and a half chapters left to write. I might have it up tonight so I can have it out there fornat-be-damned.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, well, now I have some RL people to apologize to.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Managed to make some progress, but a bunch of life issues have killed my free time. Coupled with some mechanics issues, I'm going to claim that shifting over to Flexible Funding on Indiegogo will help provide a high-quality product that totally isn't a complete scam designed to part people from their money.

I'll have to post it up in the design threads, as it's good to have constraints to guide things and I know I'm a slow writer.

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

Holy hell, I got this done.

This is a link to the Too Much Information playtest packet. It contains:

-The Too Much Information Playtest: 79 pages long (:sludgepal:). The Google Docs outline will serve as the table of contents. Hopefully I can add an table of contents and an index in the future. I'll separate it all by chapter in the folder if the playtester requests it.
-The Too Much Information Character Sheet
-The Too Much Information Library Creation Worksheet

Please enjoy this mild parody of Monte Cook games and 90s gaming that got more elaborate than I ever thought possible. Now, without further ado, it's time for Bonus Challenge 3 because boy do I love writing words!

I am pleased to announce my first supplement for Too Much Information: Secret Journey, a collection of alternate worlds and settings for Too Much Information:

Secret Journey

Opening Fiction: "Y2K Compliant"

Chapter 1: Other Views

Snowman: If you had access to all the human knowledge in the world, what would you do with it? If you answered anything other than "strip mine it and sell off the parts," you're not going to hack it here. You are an agent of Snowman, and you know the greatest secret: there are no nations or ideologies. The world is a business, and you will rule it.

Icebox: The bear is running ragged. Nations are leaving the Soviet Union and the center cannot hold. The Americans are tearing things apart on a cosmic level, and you and your comrades can only bandage the wounds. No more. With leaked access to Furnace's technology and techniques, you'll bring the fight to them.

Exiles: The border between the planes is thinning. The people that live on the physical plane, they think that nothing in The Library can cross over to them. As an Intruder, a Tulpa, or a Homo gestalt that has crossed over to the physical plane, you're about to prove them wrong. But be careful: living on their turf means playing by their rules.

Chapter 2: Other Times

1901: The Golden Age of Magic is coming to a close. Once revered and beloved bringers of truth, magical orders have become petty disgraces, wrapped up in the drama of society pages and the minutae of physical things. It's going to take one hell of a magical ritual to turn the tide. Luckily, you have just the thing to do it. You're going to enter a place no one has dared step into before: The Akashic Record. You are a member of the Order of the Argent Moon, and you are about to make the biggest mistake of your life.

1999: The veil has fallen, in more ways than one. Furnace's crimes have come to light, and The Library and its astral plane have crashed into our physical plane, flooding the earth with infinite amounts of possibility and memory. You are a Furnace escapee, or a Burner who has awakened from what has become known as The Crash. You must band together with you fellow outcasts to split the two realms once more, all while avoiding the detection of a Furnace with nothing to lose.

Chapter 3: Other Worlds

Home by the Sea: It was supposed to be an easy job. Break into some nobody's home, steal their stuff, then turn a profit and live like kings. There's just one problem: the house is full of angry ghosts and bad memories. Hold on to who you are if you want to make it out of this heist alive: once they've taken away everything, you'll be floating with the rest of them.

Storming the Wizard's Tower: Huzzah! The Foul Wizard has died, and his treasures are for the taking! As golden knights of good, you will do what is right and take his ill gotten gains for queen and country. Now if you can only avoid the Foul Wizard's monsters and traps, and the terrible curse in the walls that threatens to make you into the Foul Wizard reborn...

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
Sorry to say, but I'm dropping out.

This contest forced me to come up with some fun ideas, but I was unable to put them together into a cohesive game in time considering other commitments.

Best of luck to everyone!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Alright, Here's the playtest version of When The World Is Running Down You Make The Best Of What's Still Around

Sorry about the appearance of some of the tables, but I don't have the willpower left to fight against whatever monster thought it was a good idea to default to a non-monospaced font on google docs.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

I have made something, and if I don't submit it now, it won't get done.

You could say ambition was my downfall.

Hungry For You, with main book and character sheet. I can... only hope this conveys everything as intended.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
So, I have a playable draft up already, but at this point I must withdraw from the contest.

My health is now at a point where I can't reasonably playtest a game.

I wish you all the best of luck.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Black Wombat posted:

So, I have a playable draft up already, but at this point I must withdraw from the contest.

My health is now at a point where I can't reasonably playtest a game.

I wish you all the best of luck.

I'm really sorry to hear that. Take care of yourself, okay?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I've downloaded all the games available thus far, and am looking them over.
Given the limited amount of time I have remaining for prep (basically the next 3 hours), I believe I should, with no irony, choose No Thyme This Time!
My apologies to potatocubed, but I'm not certain my host would be okay with the potentially adult content of Can't Stand Losing You as his children tend to invade our play space fairly regularly.

In any case, I can already tell that I have lost. Many of you have done a fantastic job with this.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, wait, drat. Black Wombat had to withdraw from the contest. Should I still playtest their game?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

Oh, wait, drat. Black Wombat had to withdraw from the contest. Should I still playtest their game?

I would prefer you playtest an active contestant's game, but I will certainly allow No Thyme This Time playtests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Then I will claim Hungry For You

• Locked thread