Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
This space reserved for marketing puff.

Tired of numbers and formulas and maths informing your roleplaying experiences? Then this will be the game for you! Using a revolutionary new system it turns the everyday language you use into game rules, getting out of the way while you roleplay. Gone is the mindless hack-and-slash of yesterday, replaced by intricate backgrounds and detailed relationships, all set in a sprawling weird-fantasy city the like of which has not been seen since Lankhmar! Fully designed for online as well as face-to-face play, you can play whether your friends are in the country or not!

As a special reward, backers of the Insightful tier and higher will receive a set of hand-painted element cubes with their game. No need for you to break immersion with a handful of six-sided dice!

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Are you sure you're a first-time game designer because these ideas are gold.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I'll grab Can't Stand Losing You.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
God, I just looked up the lyrics to Can't Stand Losing You and that song is a lot bleaker than I remembered.

Oh well! Time to sweep all that under the rug and just use the song title!

E: That said, I just brainstormed a bunch of stuff and it looks like this game is going to be one of those Indie Games With A Message that I always feel profoundly unqualified to make. Yeah!

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 2, 2016

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
So far, so bitter about past failures.

CAN'T STAND LOSING YOU

Introduction
Xx

What This Is
Can’t Stand Losing You is a game about telling the stories of a handful of characters trying to win over their true loves, set against the backdrop of Sylthar -- a city of weird fantasy. It is at heart a tragedy, because the protagonists all have terrible and misguided opinions about relationships and as a result are going to suffer a lot -- but you can play it as a black comedy if you prefer, the main difference being whether or not the main characters are sympathetic.

With some tweaking you might be able to play it as a genuine romantic comedy, but that’s beyond the scope of these rules -- the mechanics of the game explicitly resist standard romcom tropes, so if you’re determined to go there you’re going on your own.

Experienced Roleplayer?
If you know the basic drill when it comes to roleplaying games, Can’t Stand Losing You is a GM-less game where each player controls a single character. You can play from an authorial standpoint, an in-character standpoint, or whatever point between that you like -- the game accommodates the whole range. The game supports PvP, but that’s not the focus. In fact, player vs player conflict should probably be rare unless you have players who are seeking it out.

New To Roleplaying?
If the paragraph above means little or nothing to you, don’t worry. All you need is a friend or three who are willing to sit down and tell stories about strange folk in search of their strange loves for a few hours. It’s just like watching and then talking about a Current Hot TV Show together, except the stories you’ll be talking about are also the ones you’re making.

What Do I Need?
In no particular order:

* At least one friend. As a theoretical maximum this game can handle fifty-two players, but the practical limit tops out at around five.
* A spare afternoon or evening. You should be able to create a complete story for each protagonist within a few hours.
* A large blank piece of paper, and pens to draw on it with. This is going to get messy with lines and words and crossings-out, so you’ll probably want several colours of pens to signify different things, and maybe some replacement pieces of paper if you feel the need to copy across ‘only the relevant stuff’ to clean things up a bit.
* A set of element cubes. If you don’t have them, a handful of six-sided dice will work almost as well.
* A pack of citizen cards. If you don’t have one, a deck of regular playing cards will work almost as well.

You’ll probably also want some scratch paper and writing utensils for each player, some snacks and drinks, a table to put the blank piece of paper on, a house to put the table in, a job to pay for the house… you know, all the things millenials dream of.

Overview
Each player controls a single protagonist, who is a citizen of the fantasy city of Sylthar. They’re trying to find and win the heart of their true love, a task which will require them to undertake quests, learn new skills, question their own integrity, and manoeuvre through the shifting social network of Sylthar’s notable personalities.

Play happens in cycles, each one of which contains a social phase and an action phase. During the social phase characters -- all characters, not just the protagonists -- manipulate and manoeuvre on the relationship map. During the action phase the protagonists do whatever they feel is necessary in order to win over their true love -- or at least get themselves one step closer.

After [xx] cycles Sylthar refreshes, and protagonists can choose to keep their old true love or move on to a new one. Games can be run to a set number of refreshes, providing a clear end-point to all the romance.

While doing all this the protagonists must manage their hope and integrity. If they lose all hope then they make an exit to live as an embittered hermit somewhere. If they lose integrity then the other characters in Sylthar will trust them less, making it harder to attain their ideal relationship.

XXBOX
Everyone is Pansexual; Everyone is Polyamorous
The city of Sylthar is so full of alien beings and strange dimensional travellers that the population have long since moved beyond the models of gender and relationships that we are familiar with. And they’ve got sorcery to handle all kinds of edge cases! In Sylthar, with a little effort, any set of freaks can get their cumulative freak on.

Also, it makes the game much easier to manage if you just assume that anyone can be attracted to anyone.
/XXBOX

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

LuiCypher posted:

oh god what am i doing and what have i done?

God's work.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Well, here's a sketchy outline. There are a few spots which need filling in, but I figure I'll have them sorted by the deadline.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

DalaranJ posted:

Hey, I just discovered that the most convenient time for me to playtest will be next week on the evening of Monday the 26th. I'd like to claim a playtest as soon as I can, if possible. I'll be running for 4-5 hours and will have 2-3 players excluding myself. If anyone can have their playtest draft all set by the evening of the 25th, that would be great.

I'll commit to that. I'm on British Summer Time, but I'll have you a playable (but possibly bad) game by the time I go to bed on the 25th.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
And hot on Mr Misfit's heels, here is the playable draft of Can't Stand Losing You

You'll also need the sheet of citizens; it's about 14 short of a full deck but there are enough people there to play with.

E: A maybe-easier-to-read pdf version.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 22, 2016

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Hey DalaranJ, do you have diagrams of the circuit diagrams that When The World players need to calculate equipment? Or is that a joke I didn't get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Oh right, that makes sense now I see it.

Never underestimate the density of your audience! (In this case, me.)

• Locked thread