Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I would do a write up for the 13th Valley but I haven't reread it in a few years.

Excellent book about the life of a grunt in Vietnam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
3) You immediately contact any and all press you can find and whistleblow the poo poo out of everything, and tank your career in the process

That's probably the best case scenario, but the end result was the same. After Mogadishu, American intervention in Africa was finished for at least a half century and no one else in 1994 had the capability or will to intervene, certainly not the UN

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The people not caring thing was the main issue, really.

I know I remember that time on the news, right in the wheelhouse of when my dad and I would watch Peter Jennings every night. The main poo poo was always the war in Bosnia back then.

When I look at how bad the Bosnian War was, and how it was the benchmark of conflict in post WWII Europe, I can't help but contrast it with Syria today and I kinda have to laugh. Who knew you could turbocharge that style of conflict?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
To be fair to the UN (I know, I know), the ramifications of the Bosnian War still influence current affairs today, and Rwanda is much more localized of a thing. Certainly there's ripples among the conflicts in Africa today, but you don't have Putin pointing at Rwanda like he does the Balkans.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

P-Mack posted:

Rwandan genocide led directly into the Congo wars that drew in half of Africa and left millions dead.

.... and sadly it barely affected the rest of the world.

The Balkans almost brought the US and Russia to the point of armed conflict then, and it has clouded Russia's relationship with NATO ever since. Far, far more influencing on a geopolitical scale and it's not even close.

• Locked thread