Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
This thread is amazing, my to read list has grown exponentially.

Just finished Last stand of the tin can soldiers and Neptune's Inferno about fleet actions in the pacific and am currently reading Strong men armed: the United States marines against Japan. for a more general overview of the island hopping campaign, great book.

I'd like to throw my favourite book ever out onto the pile.

In Great Spirits: Archie Barwick's WWI Diary

Pretty much a direct reprinting of an Aussie soldiers war time diary. He and his brother were in the first division of Australians to ship out to combat for the empire and landed at the disaster that was Gallipoli. He survived that hell hole only to be shipped off to the western front and was involved in pretty much every action the diggers fought there.

The entire book is written in such a friendly, positive and casual Aussie style, can be a real disconnect when he's talking about the appalling conditions or being in charges. He's up beat and confident the entire book despite what he was subjected to and if I can get one random internet person to read it I'll be happy.

I've owned 4 copies of this now as I keep giving it away to people, worth a read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread