Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueDiablo
Aug 15, 2001

Slippery when sexy!
Granted, I'm a civvie puke, but I have my students read (sections of) these two books for my section on WW1:

Under Fire by Henri Barbusse
If you want to get an idea of the psychologically crushing weight of fighting an industrialized war, look no further than Under Fire. It is THE WW1 anti-war novel, published during the war after Barbusse was discharged for TB in 1915/1916. Great, great stuff.

Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger
Basically this is the antidote to Under Fire, and the anti-All Quiet on the Western Front. Compared to Junger, who served on the front lines from 1914-1918 (and arguably one of the first storm troopers), Remarque is a cry-baby bitch who spent the war digging trenches and maybe two weeks on the front line in total. Described as psychopathically brave, Junger's memoirs of the war are a unique perspective to say the least. Spoiler alert: despite all of Junger's statements on war being a means of purging weakness from the body, surprisingly he's not much of a nazi supporter during WW2, to the point that Hitler stashes him away in Paris as a cultural attache since he can't kill him outright.

BlueDiablo fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread