Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Steezo posted:

Just here to recommend Phillip Caputo's A Rumor of War. Vietnam as seen by a Marine LT who was there from the start of guarding an airbase to patrolling the jungle dealing, to being the Officer in Charge of the Dead and back to patrolling. If you were there for the invasion or early parts of Iraq it's eerily Deja Vu.

This was one of my favorites as a teenager reading as much Vietnam memoir poo poo as possible. One of the few that I kept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Third World Reggin posted:

A book I read years ago and still seems ok.

https://www.amazon.com/Dear-Mom-Joseph-T-Ward/dp/0804108536
Dear Mom: A Snipers Vietnam by Joseph T. Ward

In between stories of him doing neat poo poo are letters he sent home to mom around the same time, full of lies of what he was doing.

From a review

That's actually a really interesting idea, but I'm not sure how to even pursue it. So much of what we know about historical battles comes from official histories written based on commanders' reports, and surviving letters from troops is often used as a reality check to see if the official documents were accurate.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

"Let's move on." drat.

I've never heard of that system or anything like it from that era.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yes, Ireland (which was still rather pissed off at the UK having just fought a war for independence to something like a draw) with it's army of about 10,000 (admittedly) poorly-trained soldiers, it's navy of two PT boats, and air force of two biplanes surely would've done something besides bring Ireland to its knees through embargo. :lol:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I haven't put pen to paper for a couple of years, but I'm interested in reading their poo poo. I'll be following along.

• Locked thread