Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Just here to recommend Phillip Caputo's A Rumor of War. Vietnam as seen by a Marine LT who was there from the start of guarding an airbase to patrolling the jungle dealing, to being the Officer in Charge of the Dead and back to patrolling. If you were there for the invasion or early parts of Iraq it's eerily Deja Vu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Godholio posted:

This was one of my favorites as a teenager reading as much Vietnam memoir poo poo as possible. One of the few that I kept.

I especially like the part where the BC cares more about a football betting pool than actually doing his goddamn job, that's when it hit me that he wasn't embellishing poo poo.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

tastefully arranged labia posted:

The way the book poses it, the CIA completely failed to fulfill its primary task of intelligence gathering and focused entirely on bungled special operations.

Wait till you get to the Vietnam era part of the book, remember Forrestal and Nightengale? Weiner does list every source he used in the back and it's all publicly available FOIA stuff mostly. He gets a bit angry at the very end but I don't disagree with his analysis of "maybe we shouldn't let these guys set foreign policy by default when there's a foreign policy vacuum".

• Locked thread