Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

iyaayas01 posted:

Also On Killing is underpinned basically by bullshit, as the studies by SLA Marshall showing US soldiers in WWII weren't firing their weapons were........not historically accurate (by that I mean they were more or less made up). Grossman's response when this was pointed out was basically "well none of his critics are published anymore, he's still revered in the Army, and I'm on the Commandant's Reading List and getting all sorts of speaking engagements, so suck it." Also Grossman has a hard on for saying that violence in our culture (specifically video games, more specifically first person shooters) is directly influencing kids to kill, to the point where he's in the pearl clutching camp of arguing that Doom was directly responsible for Columbine. I think it would be an understatement to call that line of thought problematic. On Killing is still worth reading, but go into it with eyes open and I wouldn't recommend his other stuff.

Echoing this. SLA Marshall's data was always suspect, and someone here (can't remember who) put it best that his studies were less about showing men weren't killing and more about getting the archaic leadership of the U.S. Military to revise and revamp it's combat training methods instead of just doing a shitload of PT and shooting at square targets as it had been done for the previous 50+ years.

Also bears repeating that Grossman's takes on psychological stuff is mostly good in On Killing, sociological stuff, not so much. Blaming rap music, violent movies and video games for inner city violence is pretty :allears:

Anyways, some recommendations of my own

Crucible of War
A fantastic book on the Seven Years War(AKA The French and Indian War) and the effects that helped to bring on the American Revolution. The book is extremely well written (as well as concise) and doesn't feel like a chore at all to read through. Also the prologue opens up with a pretty :black101: story about one of Washington's first forays into the Ohio River Valley as a militia officer.

Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
Probably the best book written about the Battle of Midway and it does a pretty awesome job destroying a ton of myths surrounding the battle, including the "lost squadron" allowing the SBD's to bomb the Japanese without coming into intense AA fire and Japan being on the verge of launching a fatal strike against the American carriers.

Barrakketh posted:

The High White Forest by Ralph Allen is a pretty good book if you have the chance to pick it up

This sounds good, gonna grab it at the library tonight or tomorrow. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Burning Beard posted:

Tommy by Richard Holmes

Want to know more about the Western Front? About how lovely it was? Bust some WWI myths? This is the book for you. Holmes breaks down the experience into sections covering weapons, the soldier and others. Highly recommenced (and cheap).

Echoing this. He also wrote a similar book called Redcoat about the life of a British infantryman from the American Revolution through the Napoleonic Wars. I've yet to read it but I hear it's really good.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Burning Beard posted:

More fodder

Browned off and Bloody Minded: The British Soldier Goes to War 1939-1945

loving excellent book. A social history of the British Army in WWII. Every page earns my respect for those guys even more. One small story is a mutiny when guys come back from training and are given two small grey potatoes, a small rectangle of meat and weak-rear end tea. They literally mutiny over the poo poo food and it's wonderful.

Totally picking this up. Since Richard Holmes died before he could do another book like Tommy but for WWII and beyond, this seems exactly up that same alley. Thanks!

This book is really loving good too.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Smiling Jack posted:

Dispatches and Matterhorn are loving amazing.

Also it is not war literature and its 25 years old but Homicide and then The Corner by David Simon are some of the greatest works of non fiction ever. Period.

David Simon could probably write the phone book, and I'd still probably read it cover to cover. Homicide is really really loving good.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

FWIW, a ton of Irish went and joined the British army because gently caress Nazis.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I forgot about that, didn't he say he only did it out of protocol or some poo poo?

Either way, hosed up on his part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

666 posted:

Matterhorn is a masterwork in how it brings it's characters to life (and kills them off). It's probably the only war novel that has made me cry reading it. loving vancouver, man

It's been seven years since I've read it but yeah, Vancouver :smith:

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 24, 2017

• Locked thread