Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
I picked up Shake Hands With the Devil on the recommendation of this thread and I've been reading it all morning thanks to a thunderstorm knocking out my internet.

This is the most horrifying thing I have ever read, it has made me feel physically ill a couple of times. To make matters worse, I'm ashamed to admit that I thought the Rwandan genocide happened in the 70s or 80s, we literally never read a word about this in any textbook in school, or even heard a single blurb about it as it was happening from any teacher. The most I remember from childhood was my mother talking about taking care of a refugee at the free clinic who had machete cuts all up and down get legs that were totally healed over but horribly disfiguring... I just never knew a time frame for it. A great success of the education system in the 90s.

Vietnam was covered by one paragraph in US history as well.
Speaking of, I just bought my dad a copy of The Village. How is No True Glory, Bing's other book on Fallujah? That's been sitting in my pile for a few years now waiting to be read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread