Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Sir Charles posted:

This challenge concept is hilariously elaborate.

Got to pad out that run time i guess.

That chick was awful. She broke two of RHAPs golden rules in the span of 5 minutes.

The flaw in a bunch of these players is thinking they know the game really well and telling everyone about how much they know about the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm really glad disaster tribe wasn't a total challenge disaster this episode.

edit: Oh drat. I liked her.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 22, 2016

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm uncertain about how much we can expect from these players strategically; people either seem to have no clue or are massively overplaying way too early.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

It's also early days but it feels like there's a different dynamic with these Australian players... A lot of wariness about those who players perceive to be there to 'play the game.' Kind of like if someone shows a glimmer of a strategic thought they are immediately a threat.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
This wouldn't be available next-day on Hulu at all, would it?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

The things that make this cast bad right now are the things that might make this cast good later. Too many overplaying young contestants who are starting to niggle each other but still the boring outcome of older contests on bottom due to their reduced numbers from casting decisions. There's a lot of players that fancy themselves good players. They don't have to actually be good for it to be good TV; they just have to be doing something. If we get 10-12 people with individual plans playing medium to hard, that's going to be good.

They do need to turn down the music volume though. I can't hear anyone loving talk.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Retail Slave posted:

This wouldn't be available next-day on Hulu at all, would it?

I don't think so.

I can't help exactly, but the r/survivor and r/survivorau have plenty of links/tips on how to watch (or just google it)

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
I wonder how many evacs there are on this season. Do we know how many eps are there gonna be?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
25 total I think.

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
2nd boot is mind boggling really, considering they kept a player who will not eat or drink much water and will be out before next tribal at that rate. Good start so far.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Any of you elite internet ninjas able to PM a link to those of us who constantly trip and fall on our internet katanas when trying to find poo poo like this?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It was nice to see the one non white dude finally get a confessional. It was funny that the guy they seem to be reluctant to let speak is in fact a radio presenter though.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

It was nice to see the one non white dude finally get a confessional. It was funny that the guy they seem to be reluctant to let speak is in fact a radio presenter though.

It probably means hes somewhat elegant and reserved knowing how editing can work so they cant crate some plot/personality via editing, hence waiting until they can put together a big enough reel first.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Rob Has A Podcast is covering this season with Stephen Fishbach.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 25, 2016

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
By the way, haven't seen it mentioned on here but it seems to be airing three nights this week, according to Wikipedia. Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, I believe.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Yes they changed the scheduling. Three nights from now on.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Three hours, three boots a week. It's a bit much.

quote:

etwork Ten chief programming officer Beverley McGarvey said: “We very pleased with how Australian Survivor has started. It has attracted solid audience numbers on television and on social media, and produced big increases in Ten’s audiences in its timeslot. The response from viewers has been extremely positive. Clearly there is a strong audience for Australian Survivor and we want to capitalise on that by giving viewers more of what they want.”

:jerkbag:

We're not getting MORE survivor. We're just getting what you already made faster.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 26, 2016

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it was fine at 2 nights a week, we are going to be survivored out

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I hope someone lets RobC know. His first podcast was great.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I told Stephen on Twitter to make sure they knew and he said "I am aware and dreading it" haha

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Oh good. He just needs to man up and embrace hardcore Australian reality schedules. How would he cope with something like Masterchef?

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006

obliriovrons posted:

By the way, haven't seen it mentioned on here but it seems to be airing three nights this week, according to Wikipedia. Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, I believe.

Awesome, I wonder if it will still be a full episode(ie challenge+tribal). I guess they are happy enough to burn it off over 7 weeks(assuming no double eviction episodes).

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Is there a reason why they have the episodes on back to break days?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

when I first heard that there would be multiple episodes a week I assumed we'd be getting one boot per week, with extra time to show all the in between stuff. Having the same pacing as US survivor, but burning through the episodes in a third of the time is just weird.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

The Lord Bude posted:

when I first heard that there would be multiple episodes a week I assumed we'd be getting one boot per week, with extra time to show all the in between stuff. Having the same pacing as US survivor, but burning through the episodes in a third of the time is just weird.

Overdose incoming.
Then the US version starts and feels weird with 1 episode per week as our brain is being getting used to 3 eps a week.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The new season of The Block is murduring survivor in the ratings so yeah, push it out quick to compete.

Not that I watch either show, heard it on the radio.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
good to finally see some hidden immunity idol rumblings

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Lord Bude posted:

I hope someone lets RobC know. His first podcast was great.
Stephen's take on voting out Bianca was so funny. Basically, to defend it at all he had to invoke the Intentional Matsing which says that losing and being the smallest tribe in a three tribe season is fine or even good. That might actually be true... but it basically puts all reasonable discussion into a blender and turns it into paste where strong tribes and weak tribes and winning and losing are all indistinguishable in terms of strategy, which is necessary for Stephen's argument because how else can you justify keeping someone who's gearing up to literally quit, even though you don't need him to control the tribe?

Anyway, the first two boots were so bad at this game. Des is an older guy who wasn't going to be very good in challenges, so he decided to compensate for that by... refusing to help around camp, and socially isolating himself, not sleeping with the tribe? Bianca is a detective or whatever so she decided to sit back and watch while other people bond and make alliances without her, making her able to correctly identify the alliances she's not in? She even called the two women out for being friends in Tribal Council.

The show is good though. It's just about everything the American version of Survivor is, except with too many players to keep straight, which to me says that people worrying the show will die if Probst steps down might be able to relax a bit.

edit: I don't know why production is letting two guys on the blue tribe wear red hats either, makes it even harder to keep people straight!

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 28, 2016

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Just finished the third ep and it was pretty interesting. Unlike the first couple boots, I think Evan had a good enough head for strategy but he just wasn't able to appear trustworthy enough to assimilate with the group. That tribe had already been saying all he wanted to do was talk strategy, so obviously he came off as kind of schemey, and him bringing out that clue just kind of blew it up. It's ridiculous on the surface that he's caught out two other people lying about the immunity idol and that he should be the one to suffer for it, but it makes sense when you see him bring the clue to El and El's reaction is just sort of, well I'll check with them, they were probably going to tell me anyway. It goes to show where the bonds really were and who people trusted and didn't, that even those circumstances work out the wrong way for him.

There's an interesting question about if Evan handled finding that clue right (should he just have left it in camp anonymously for someone else to find, should he have taken it to Phoebe and Rowan instead of squealing on them, should he have kept it to himself, or did he play it right). Obviously what he did do didn't work. But I also think it didn't work less because of the route he chose than because he was already seen as a gamer and pot-stirrer. If you imagine the roles reversed and Phoebe - who really impressed me by the way - or Rowan finding out that Evan had lied about the clue and the beans, and telling a couple folks, he clearly would've been buried by it.

Evan was right about Lee, the cricketer, being a loyal guy and a good ally to make. I think Lee probably gets away with (knowingly, I assume) voting against the tribe and his own alliance even though that was a questionable call.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 29, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
...third episode? When did that air?

e. Ah! It's Monday in Australia. Okay. I'll catch up when I can.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Met posted:

...third episode? When did that air?

e. Ah! It's Monday in Australia. Okay. I'll catch up when I can.

I'm australian and I'm already completely lost by this 3 episode a week poo poo.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, I'm a pretty big evangelist for the 5x/week Masterchef, but that's doable in part because the format keeps things switched up and interesting. With the more homogenous Survivor format, it's a bit rough, and I'm saying this as a superfan who full out marathoned a few seasons when I rediscovered the show.

The episode length also isn't helping. The editing feels loose and sloppy.

Ten is clearly paying attention to ratings so hopefully they can sort this out, because at its root the show is very well-done, it's just got some very unfortunate kinks.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
There's a lot I like about, say, the 55 minute length of the second episode. It gave everything a bit more room to breathe, especially tribal, compared to how recent seasons feel for me, with an inordinate amount of time given to challenges. If/when more strategy comes into play, I think that would be a good length, but I don't know about the weird hour-and-fifteen minutes of the Sunday episode. And I do agree that three episodes a week is a bit much for how dense a Survivor episode generally is.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The red tribe's ongoing dumpster fire is just incredible :allears:

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Phoebe seems to be playing well within that dumpster fire though..

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

This is actually a pretty good episode.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Potential spoiler tag rules for this thread seems weird. Yankee privilege~

I guess we can reliably get to episodes 12 hours after they air? That's accounting for the workday and such.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

OH MY GOD I CANT BELIEVE THEY VOTED OUT LEON

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Dropping 3 players per week is a great way to accelerate the pace of the season but it's hard to keep track of how much time they've been on the island.

I loved that no matter what the 2 tribe members claimed, everyone else was suspicious and didn't believe their stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Australian TV is hosed. This is a dumb twist. Voted out people should be gone.

Episode spoilers above.

• Locked thread