Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Nooner posted:

Today I had rasins for breakfast, picadillo cubano for lunch, and shrimp/greenbeans/green onion for dinner

im gassy af right now, just farting up a storm, wtf why what did I eat to do this to me?

Genesplicer, you're a scientist, can you explain this phenomenon?

:confused:

I'd be happy to explain. Everybody swallows a small amount of air while they eat. This gas comes out as burps. However, once the partially-digested food enters the intestines, bacteria begin working on it. This happens particularly in the large intestine. The bacteria produce many waste products, some of which take the form of gasses. There are several major gasses that form:

Carbon Dioxide (Lotsa volume)
Methane (The part that allows you to light your farts on fire)
Indole and Skatole (The fart and poop smells associated with farts)
Hydrogen Sulfide (The rotten eggs smell part of farts)

What you produce with each fart is a result of your particular bacterial population and what you feed them. The more you feed them, the greater the gas volume. Some foods, like beans, tend to provide lots of food for the bacteria. A varied diet will produce varied farts.

Fun Fart Facts:

-The average person farts between 14 and 19 times per day.
-The average person produces enough gas to fill an average party balloon
-The average person is not normally offended by the smell of their own farts, but will be offended by the exact same scent, if they think it was farted by another person.
-There have been many people over the years who had such complete intestinal control that they could play songs with their farts. In medieval Ireland, these people were known as braigetoír. In Feudal Japan, they were called heppiri otoko (Farting Men). The best known of these was probably Le Petomane, a French artist who performed to sold-out houses in the late 1800s to the early 1900s. Although he played various songs, he was also known for telling stories and providing the sound effects. He would also play an ocarina via a rubber tube inserted into his anus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Chief McHeath posted:

So if I put a balloon in my B hole I could have it mostly filled up by the end of the day!?

Yes, you would. And your pants would look really funny for most of it.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Lt. Tanaka posted:

Why does beer cause so many farts?

Lotsa nutrients for the bacteria in your gut. Also, some of the Carbon dioxide that carbonates the beer may come out in the intestines, which means it's easier to go out the back door.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Moon Atari posted:

I ate about a litre of cauliflower and potato soup earlier and ever since my anus has been stretched open goatse style by the sheer force of one continuous fart that at this point has lasted for hours.

i had a case of norovirus a few years back. The vomiting and diarrhea were absolutely the worst, but right at the very end I had truly massive amounts of gas. It actually made me laugh out loud, from the sheer volume, length and quality of my farts. It was amazing, and almost worth the sickness before.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

rock rock posted:

Yeah thanks gene I'm trying to convince my mate to play her ocarina with her butt now. Wish me luck.

Well, How'd it go?

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
Someone needs to dive into the archives and find the thread I did about all the different kinds of farts. (It was titled "Farts!") I would, but I have a bone in my leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Mariana Horchata posted:

i once had a gallballler ultrasound after being stuck in the hospital for a few days and they could hardly do the scan because i was so full of hospital food gas as they also showed me

i hope ur being serious because my curiosity is peaked!

Yeah, I did a couple of technical threads about farts and vomit. This was a few years ago.

Oh, and it's "piqued".

• Locked thread