Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
Nobody wants to share nothin' with nobody. Fine, I get that. And that's all well and good until Alpha Centauri comes knocking.

There's more at stake here than the old well and your countless auto wrecks held up with cinder blocks. Humanity needs a response to aggression, whether that be the rogue asteroid or comet or a full-on, by-God armada of hostile aliens. Granted we will likely be at a disadvantage, but we need to maximize our defensive capabilities. We NEED orbital platforms with nuclear, laser, and mass-driver capabilities. We NEED to develop an energy shield, to provide some kind of defense, however minimal, to the expected bio-weapons and rape-virii of the assailants. And if all else fails, we need a contingency DNA load, wrapped in enough metal to send our own sun into supernova.

Are YOU ready? Can YOU give what it takes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

Enjoy posted:

We are gonna cook ourselves to death with carbon dioxide within a hundred years so who cares about aliens and asteroids

That is negative thinking. We have the means to sequester excess carbon. We can lift it off into space, or recycle it using thermal conversion. Even the nihilists among us must come to the conclusion that existence is preferable to non-existence, because it is our experiences, however hedonistic, that give life its meaning. We must see the Earth not as a small rock circling the drain, but as a slingshot launching us into the great unknown. And in time, we will be able to give back to the Earth. And when our Sun implodes, we will be ready, and it will be a new step in our journey. Humanity! I cry out! HUMANITY!

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

icantfindaname posted:

IMO it's time for a revolt of the rightful elites against the filthy, ignorant masses

NAY!!! Only the elite are ignorant with their Playstation Platinums and their XBox sexbots! We, the true bearers of humanity's collective yoke must prepare for señor Centauri's DN-invasion.

erosion fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 19, 2016

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

Forget the aliens, it's silly to even mention it. Far more likely is an asteroid or comet. Let's look at some ideas for asteroid or comet defense. This link has several options, such as attaching rockets to an offending body, that I hadn't thought of. If you consider yourself an environmentalist in the slightest, or even if you're just concerned about American survival, you must at least consider the threat posed to the earth (and America) by large rocks/ice in space. Our children deserve no less.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

Doc Hawkins posted:

But even if you disagree with Carl and think the benefits of preparation outweigh his concern, it sounds like you're just making the case for asteroid defense, not globalism.

Actually, what do you mean by that word? I was expecting this thread to be a defense of global trade, however uncharacteristic it would have been for D&D, but it sounds like you're talking about having a global and inclusive perspective on the possibilities and dangers of human affairs. Something like the overview effect?

If that's roughly what you mean, who are you trying to convince? Who do you see as arguing against a global and inclusive perspective, such that you have to make the case for it?

It's a poo poo post intended to poke fun at lolbertarians. I've also been playing at turning the xenophobia outward and making morons afraid of space aliens instead of blacks, but not so much on this forum as Facebook. Example:

quote:

I will build a great shield — and nobody builds shields better than me, believe me —and I’ll build it very inexpensively. I will build a great, great shield above our atmosphere, and I will make Alpha Centauri pay for that shield. Mark my words!

A planet without an energy shield is not a planet at all. We must have a shield. The rule of law matters.

and

quote:

Progressive? Yeah, I believe in progress. We shouldn't be rolling around in gas guzzling tanks firing depleted uranium shells at each other. We should be marching around in nuclear powered walking tanks firing lasers at each other!
And where the hell are my energy shields???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

-Troika- posted:

The fact that the universe isn't infested by self-replicating Von Neumann probes is pretty good circumstantial evidence that there's no other intelligent life.

WE COME IN PEACE. WE ARE A FRIENDLY RACE EXPLORING THE COSMOS.

PRIORITY OVERRIDE; NEW BEHAVIOR DICTATED. MUST BREAK TARGET INTO COMPONENT MATERIALS.

• Locked thread