Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I5 3570k or something. Its good but old (2012) and suffering because i need thermal paste

8gb ran

120gb SSD for the OS and 280gb SSD for games.

Some dvdrw drive who cares ive used it 3 times ever since i bought it

Geforce 750gtx aka disappointment in a box.

32 inch 1080p monitor. Microsoft keyboard. Some kind of Gaymer mouse with two extra buttons and a lightshow LED thats annoying when im trying to sleep.

All told i like the PC but i would happuly replace that gpu this year and the mobo/cpu next year if i can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

for $55 you could just buy a used mini fridge on craigs list and put your entire PC in there. ultra cooling!

Sounds like a great way to overheat your PC in record time.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

hemophilia posted:

I5 3570k or something. Its good but old (2012) and suffering because i need thermal paste

8gb ran

120gb SSD for the OS and 280gb SSD for games.

Some dvdrw drive who cares ive used it 3 times ever since i bought it

Geforce 750gtx aka disappointment in a box.

32 inch 1080p monitor. Microsoft keyboard. Some kind of Gaymer mouse with two extra buttons and a lightshow LED thats annoying when im trying to sleep.

All told i like the PC but i would happuly replace that gpu this year and the mobo/cpu next year if i can.

man i really want some SSDs how much did you have to pay for them

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

notZaar posted:

Sounds like a great way to overheat your PC in record time.

:thejoke:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Frog Act posted:

man i really want some SSDs how much did you have to pay for them

The 120 was back wheb they were really pricey and cost me about $250 but i got the 280 off Amazon last year for about $115 after shipping.

You can get quite a bit more data than i did last year this year, maybe 500gb for under 150

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Frog Act posted:

goons have so much loving money, look at these specs. god

you could just save up. a very good gaming pc can be built for 8-900 usd and it will last you for 3-5 years especially if you upgrade stuff like your gfx card later.

CPUs have hit a performance wall and my 6 year old i5 760 is just now barely starting to have trouble with newer games

a good PC is literally the best investment, so much free entertainment..

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The best upgrade I made for my PC in the last year is buying a Steam Link so I can play my games in the living room.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
150 tmk
4 c
Maltrex 900
Cool Bung 69
All Stampner Feets
Window MX

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

:haw:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

AEMINAL posted:

you could just save up. a very good gaming pc can be built for 8-900 usd and it will last you for 3-5 years especially if you upgrade stuff like your gfx card later.

CPUs have hit a performance wall and my 6 year old i5 760 is just now barely starting to have trouble with newer games

a good PC is literally the best investment, so much free entertainment..

right now i have a Dell with the following guts

i7 4790 @ 3.6 ghz
12gb RAM
GTX 960 2gb which was $200 about a year ago
generic 1tb HD which is pretty much full, but I have two more slots for disks, I think
oh and i disabled the CD drive because it couldn't plug in around the 960, which juuuuuust fit into my case

i'm thinking what i need to do is get some more ram and figure out the best card i can get that will loving fit into this dell case, which i just realized the 1060 may not

i just wanna play the Deus Ex game during Christmas

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Frog Act posted:

right now i have a Dell with the following guts

i7 4790 @ 3.6 ghz
12gb RAM
GTX 960 2gb which was $200 about a year ago
generic 1tb HD which is pretty much full, but I have two more slots for disks, I think
oh and i disabled the CD drive because it couldn't plug in around the 960, which juuuuuust fit into my case

i'm thinking what i need to do is get some more ram and figure out the best card i can get that will loving fit into this dell case, which i just realized the 1060 may not

i just wanna play the Deus Ex game during Christmas

You dont need more ram at all, 8gb is the minimum these days.

I'd get a new case and the 1060 or a Rx 480 depending on how much you can spend.

May wanna get a small ssd for Windows to run on too.

Edit: just realized there is a really small 1060 out, it would fit

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

is it....possible to move the stuff from inside this dell into another case?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Frankenstein PCs are how people who dont have stupid amounts if disposable income to blow building entirely new pcs every year do. This SSD was bought back in 2011 and has been paired with 2 cpus 3 graphics cards 2 motherboards etc

So yes it can. OEM pcs sometimes gently caress with form factor and poo poo to make it harder but it's almost always doable.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
If you aren't planning on upgrading the CPU/Mobo anytime soon I'd personally bump up to 16 gb. DDR3 is probably as cheap as it's going to get. It'll only get more expensive as DDR4 gains traction.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
you guys are dumb i bought the xbox one and i can play all the latest games at the highest possible resolutions in 3d with the best possible sound and best possible ram

revolther
May 27, 2008
I plunked down and got an i7 6700 with 8gb of ram from Dell outlet I could upgrade cheaply. Threw 32 more gigs of DDR4 in it coz I like to mess with 3d modeling and vm's and an SSD for the OS with a nights tips from the bar, recently finished it off with a gtx 1060, everything runs slick and cool and quiet, it's nice to have a nice computer again.

Turns out video games kinda aren't as fun any more, but the eye candy does look nice.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

JiveHonky posted:

150 tmk
4 c
Maltrex 900
Cool Bung 69
All Stampner Feets
Window MX

actually regret going with the Stampner Feets, they tend to gum up when the Cool Bung revs to the 1.5-1.7 limiter.

Get what you pay for I guess...

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
-Devil's Canyon i7 (let's use its proper term plz)
-16gb of RAM (lol if you don't have 25+ tabs always open 24/7)
-GTX 970 FTW (if anyone buys a 1060 you are an idiot esp. if it's the 3Gb version)
-Samsung 850 evo (you are an idiot if you don't buy a Samsung or Intel SSD)
-Noctua fans (lol If your PC makes noise)
-Corsair 750 hxi silent PSU
-No one cares about how much non SSD storage you have

S my D Fman.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

Unless you're doing video editing/encoding or running virtual machines nobody needs more than about 10GB atm

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Let me just install my two dual channel 5 gig sticks really quick.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Archer666 posted:

50 SSD's in RAID 0 running the latest MS DOS

:fap: :gizz:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Prorat posted:

-Devil's Canyon i7 (let's use its proper term plz)
-16gb of RAM (lol if you don't have 25+ tabs always open 24/7)
-GTX 970 FTW (if anyone buys a 1060 you are an idiot esp. if it's the 3Gb version)
-Samsung 850 evo (you are an idiot if you don't buy a Samsung or Intel SSD)
-Noctua fans (lol If your PC makes noise)
-Corsair 750 hxi silent PSU
-No one cares about how much non SSD storage you have

S my D Fman.

How's that last 512 megs of VRAM on that GTX 970 treating you, gently caress man?

Steve Youngblood
Mar 19, 2007

***Hollywood Cobbler***

treasure bear posted:

Unless you're doing video editing/encoding or running virtual machines nobody needs more than about 10GB atm

If you have 32 GB of ram or more you can make ramdisks and put your games n such on a ramdisk file and then mount that every time you want to play a game with essentially 0 load times. If you go this route, you should reevaluate your life choices and factor in how much 5 seconds agonizing loading screens ruins your days.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
your computers are all pieces of poo poo mines better

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

reallivedinosaur posted:

your computers are all pieces of poo poo mines better

Nah, I got a ram-doubler.

Now I can run two of everything, including two copies of Razer1911-cracked Photoshop, both open with images of your avatar that I wrote "Your a big homo!"on.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

TheMostFrench posted:

Here's my motherboard, notice that there is no socket to insert into the pcie slot. That's because I ripped it out by accident when replacing the gfx card. It still works perfectly in the other slot.

this exact motherboard died on me last month and i'm still salty

gary oldmans diary posted:

Its a great upgrade from the Celeron 300A I was rocking before.
lol what? ownage.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
I'm a poor scrub.

i3-4170 @ 3,7 GHz - box blue
2x8 GB RAM - blue
MSI Z97-G43 motherboard, also blue
Zalman 650 W active PS - black
1x 64 GB SSD with 550 MB/s RW - black
1 X 1 TB HDD 7200 rpm - aluminum
1 x 2 TB HDD 5400 rpm - aluminum
and a loving red MSI 960 GTX 4 GB because the blue one died after one day and i couldn't get another one.
This all packed with 3 fans a bigass CPU cooler in a Zalman mATX case. 850 € plays everything on high to ultra settings so far. I still need new screen so I can enjoy goatsies in HD.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
What if the Xbox Mr. Scorpion comes out next year and is powerful enough to obviate all but the most expensive gaming PCs and yet only costs $400?

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015

Archer666 posted:

50 SSD's in RAID 0 running the latest MS DOS

The Norton Commander experience was never so same.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015

The Dennis System posted:

What if the Xbox Mr. Scorpion comes out next year and is powerful enough to obviate all but the most expensive gaming PCs and yet only costs $400?

Then Steve Balmer wakes up with his hand in a chamber pot.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Then I guess I'll buy one if that turns out to be the case.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

$400 for something that only plays Xbox games and streams video is a rip off.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
A 37 Hectare Smart Processor with a strong core
A Duramax 1500 RAM (2009)
4 Hogshead Storage
Overbearing Jewish Mother's Ironing board
A 350W copy of Hearts in Motion by Air Supply

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

cool alternate reality but in actuality the next one will already be 2 years behind a $500 gaming pc lol

cnut
May 3, 2016

My other computer is a Babbage Analytical Engine :smug:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I want one of those 34 inch ultrawide screen monitors that are like $1000+, but lol at spending that much on a monitor.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
what bad rear end video game are you running that uses 64NB rams???

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
i just retired my 8 year old laptop and bought a cute little NUC for pocket change that's connected to my tv

since I'm not a mental infant I couldn't care less about games, so the specs are more than I will ever need

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hemophilia posted:

Frankenstein PCs are how people who dont have stupid amounts if disposable income to blow building entirely new pcs every year do. This SSD was bought back in 2011 and has been paired with 2 cpus 3 graphics cards 2 motherboards etc

So yes it can. OEM pcs sometimes gently caress with form factor and poo poo to make it harder but it's almost always doable.

lol if your kickass rig isn't something you spent a total of ~300 on because people don't know the value of pc parts and give them away to thrift stores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
I'm reading this thread to help me sleep.

I've got a quantum bio-puter in a cranial dome-case that's shaped like my skull :whatup:

I hate it sometimes but it gets the job done.

• Locked thread