Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Eureka seveN

A 2005 anime created by studio Bones following a young teen as he finds himself in the odd situation of piloting a giant robot against the enemy. While the overall premise isn't all that different from other mecha anime, the story took a rather strange turn part way into it's first half which quickly grabbed the audience. Also going into great depth into the robots and the world itself rather than just the conflict, it still stands out among many anime to date, even if it's a hit or miss on whether someone can get past the first 10 episodes or so. It was popular enough to net itself many manga, three video games, a movie, and a sequel anime that's it. That's all, nothing else. Don't worry about it.

The Let's Play

We'll be playing through the entirety of the the first game, The New Wave, story line, while showing some of the side situations. The game is rather sparse in what it has to show and is generally a rougher version of what it's sequel has to offer. That said. You're piloting a giant robot where it actually feels like you're piloting a giant robot. Any game that lets you do that is really cool in my books. Also there's hover boarding. And who doesn't love hover boarding?
I, Michael, will be the one playing this game while my wife, Calli, helps co-commentate. She knows very little about Eureka seveN which works out perfectly as. Due to recording schedules I'll be taking this game on solo now, and Calli will join when she can. This game is a prequel to the anime. So even if you haven't watched the show you're not missing out on a whole lot for this experience. We plan to update once a week. This may change, it may not. We'll see how it goes.

In all honesty. We rag on the game pretty hard at times. When it comes down to it. I love this game for what it is, the series it's a part of, and what it lets me do. But there are some major flaws with it's plot and repetitive game play aspects. I do really love the game though, despite all it's little "quirks."

And Now The Videos

Episode 1
Part A - The Pink Void
Part B - Do You Lift?
Part C - Teenage Vandalism

Episode 2
Part A - The Cave
Part B - In the Dark
Part C - A Giant Tank

Episode 3
Part A - In Bester?!
Part B - Shaun's Friend
Part C - Super Stealth
Part D - The Best Militia

Episode 4
Part A - Black Market
Part B - Sky Needle
Part C - An Important Question
Part D - Radio

Episode 5
Part A - Sky Surfing
Part B - Not Flying
Part C - Why? Why?? Why???
Part D - Fly Into Sunset

Warmal fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

[Reserved for sci-fi terminology coming soon]

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Part B- Do You Lift?

We continue the tutorial as it brings in hover boarding and guns. Unfortunately it's not at the same time. Also, finally some actual story! Sort of.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Part C - Teenage Vandalism

The tutorial has finally finished! I really feel like the beginning of the game is the low point. There isn't much happening story wise and the battles pose no challenge what so ever. Even if you haven't played the game, they do little to push you to learn how to control everything as well as you're going to need to. That said, the next section might even push us a little to hard to fast.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Episode 2
Part A - The Cave

We move out of the tutorial and into the cave. Which might be the low point of the game. This is where we finally start getting some semblance of story and world building. But maybe not in a good way.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm with Mike on this one. Do you really want a military testing facility near a bunch of wind-surfing teenagers in training?

And drat Hooky, even Bland Protagonist Sumner is getting burns on you.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

EXACTLY. It seems like just a really bad idea. I mean, imagine some inexperienced surfing teenager get's into a giant robot and accidentally sets off a round that goes straight for the actual military base. Not to mention someone entering the school to be close to the base to do something actively against it. Such a bad idea.

Also. At least Hooky is enthusiastic. I'll give him that. He at least had some character compared to Steven and Gillian. More so than our generic anime protag right now.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

So we're still stuck in the cave. This part is actually not fun. I have lot's of great memories of this game, clearly it wasn't this part.

Part B - In the Dark

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I mean to be fair our communication equipment did get damaged so I dunno what the chief is all angry about :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Hah, i finished re-watching the series and movie last night on a whim and now I find this, You sir have my interest.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Just caught up with the videos, and I have some answers for you.

LFOs are a reference to a British electronica band called "LFO" which itself is a reference to Low Frequency Oscillators, which are used to modulate tones in synthesizers. KLFs are a reference to another British electronica band "The KLF", I have no idea why there's a distinction between LFOs and KLFs since basically every LFO that isn't a KLF is weaponized anyway but whatever.

The code numbers for all the LFOs are references to Roland Synthesizers (which have a lot of X0X numbering schemes for some reason) which were used extensively in the production of the soundtrack of the show.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I had a feeling they had to be a reference. It was too strange to really make any sense otherwise. Though, Light Finding Operation was a good way to use the acronym.

But we have an update! We finally make it out of the cave and move right into a really cool battle that I was bad at. In hindsight I could have handled it a whole lot better. Also, Holland turned out to be a tiny bit useless.

Part C - A Giant Tank

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So why do people hate the sequel anime? I've never seen the original myself, I kinda can never get into the 50 episode long runners anymore.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Broadly speaking, the original anime ends with a hard won happy ending that the main characters had to fight and bleed for to achieve. The Sequel anime takes away their happy ending and kind of needlessly shits on the themes of family and fatherhood that the first anime addressed with surprising maturity for a shonen anime. It also involves time travel, alternate universes, and in-universe retcons via a giant laser that can literally shoot people out of existence.

More specifically:

Human/Coralian Hybrids are apparently deathly allergic to Trapar despite the fact that the creation of a human/coralian hybrid was more or less the stated goal of the Coralians, and Trapar is literally Coralian thought. After their first child, a daughter named Amber turned to stone after about two years. Renton and Eureka used a seven swell to send Ao, their son, to an alternate universe. Of course the alternate universe really didn't like that and started loving up the time space continuum via sentient creatures called Secrets to try and kill him. Also some of the Scub Coral followed them to the alternate earth which was just loving things up even more and manifesting more of the sentient time-space anomalies to kill him. Meanwhile Eureka and Renton were going around killing scub coral because any universe that doesn't want their son deserves to die. Eventually Ao realized how hosed up the situation was and used the Retcon gun to remove himself from existence so that his parents could have a happy life with only one dead daughter rather than a never ending war against the entirety of the time space continuum. The show at one point basically says that it's all Eureka and Renton's fault for wanting to have children in the first place, and the sequel never addresses their adoptive children at all.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 27, 2016

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

What Kurieg stated under the spoiler tag basically sums up the main problem with the plot of AO. But if we want to put plot issues to the side, we can delve into what was mechanically wrong with the anime. It had a major lack of everything that the original anime strove for.

It is really not apparent in this game, at least not yet, but the entirety of Eureka Seven was driven by character growth and development. The entire first 25 episodes was about Renton being disillusioned by his life on the Gekko State and having to come to terms with what his life and reality really became. Each character, even minor ones really changed and it was through the adventure hardships that they had to face to get there. It was also really interesting to see how all the characters were really connected, and slowly uncovering the true story beneath the romance and giant robot fights.
Then you have the villains. Dominic and Anemone have to be my favourite antagonists I've still seen in anime. And this is coming over 10 years since Eureka Seven came out. They had stories and development that really made you feel for them, especially Dominic right from the start, in a way that was new and refreshing at the time. And by the end you enjoy them just as much as the protagonist. In the very end, the true villain in the story is actually not a person, but the thought of ideals, duty, and that really there is no right or wrong answer in life. And it's truly a story about how we all need to coexist with each other and that communication is the way to do so and that not everyone communicates in the same way.

Whereas AO's villain is????? I don't even know.
There's no character development. And I literally don't care about a single character. None of them. Not even Renton and Eureka coming into the anime could really save it because they are somehow out of character. At least Renton was. It really comes down to the fact that the antagonist was BONES themselves creating it. Trying their best to just push something out to satisfy the demand for a equal and giving us what they did. No care was put into making it.

But if you would like to go in depth on it's many problems. This article does a good job of addressing them all.

To put it in perspective. I can name basically all the major characters of Eureka Seven from memory despite not watching the anime in over 5 years now. And I watch AO just 2 or so years ago and can name no one other than Ao, Eureka, and Renton. So there you go.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AO's villain is Truth in name, Renton in reality. Since the end point of the show is that dreams are bad, family is bad, you should only blithely lust after your female harem and hate your parents for birthing you.

It is literally the worst show that happens to have some interesting mecha design.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I think BONES just greatly missunderstood what the fans wanted from the sequel. We didn't want just a story about Renton and Eureka's children. We wanted to see the reprecussions of the actions took at the end of the show. What the world does with the new knowledge and change that took place. Where all the characters we met ended up going and doing. So many questions left completely unanswered and that was the biggest issue. We just wanted it to continue. It would have been easy to do and they completely messed up.

On the other hand, the movie handled everything really well. It to was an alternate universe scenario, but it's handled so well because the themes are still rather similar. Characters still acted like themselves and the interactions were meaningful passionate and relevant. They even changed some rules as well as an AU does but doesn't make it completely asinine like AO does. Quite honestly the movie is a good introduction as it only really does a minor spoiler for the original anime.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The movie is actually a rather lengthy and... somewhat disturbing extrapolation on the role Dewey played in the TV series. That's one of the reasons I really liked the anime because it was a fairly bog standard "Boy falls into cockpit and meets love interest and has awesome shonen adventures and defeats all the bad guys" anime but partway through it stops glossing over the realities of war as the protagonist begins to notice what's actually going on. Instead it rather maturely addressed the idea that protecting the ones you love can sometimes mean having to kill someone, and shows what happens to the orphans left behind. Also the fact that the ending of the show wasn't them admitting that they loved each other, that was the cliffhanger going into the second season, after that it was them figuring out how their relationship was going to work and actually forging some semblance of a family out of their two very broken lives while the world was blowing up around them.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It feels like a couple anime, particularity the ones about war, had a bit more depth to them around the mid 2000's- 2010. I love Eureka Seven for taking away the black and white aspect war anime tended to have. "They are bad. We are good. We must win. They must lose." Instead it held more depth to the lives in the war, and how different ideals clash in that. While still keeping away from spoilers, the best example of this is Charles and Ray. They are very clearly antagonists, but in no way were they really bad people. In fact, I like that the show first shows them in an extremely human light and wants you to care about them. It broke many regular tropes for sure.

I'm actually thinking about dropping the no spoiler statement I made in the first episode. About the show and everything anyway. I'd still want a no spoiler on the game itself. We'll see. I'll state officially in the next video, which should be going up next week.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
Eureka seven owns.
All of the relationships and character growth in the anime is perfect and one of the best in all animes I've seen.
You really care for all of them.

There is no sequel.

Thanks for the thread.
Thanks for the LP.
Thanks for the discussion.

Please go on.
Back to lurking :lurkmore:

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I'm glad to have everyone here, even the lurkers. Lurk on.

But we are finally back. And though Calli doesn't enjoy it as much as I do. This episode is so much more fun than the last one. And we have new game mechanics even!

Episode 3
Part A - In Bester?!

As I say in the video, I think it's fair enough to say no one here hasn't watched the anime at least. I think we can open spoilers on it. I won't mention spoilers in the videos themselves, but the thread is open for discussion. How do you all feel Sumner compares to Renton would be a good start.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well, Sumner and Renton both idolize Holland, though Renton idolizes him for his lifting and Sumner idolizes him for his military skill. Also both of them fell for a woman roughly 3 seconds after seeing them for the first time.

I think there's more parallels between Sumner and Holland though, since they're both military men trying to escape the stigma of their last name.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I suppose it's a good idea to compare Sumner, Renton, and Holland. Because I feel Renton and Holland were supposed to have a lot in common in the anime. Renton also is trying to escape his last name albeit for different reasons. And I think we can chalk Holland up to falling for Renton's sister pretty quickly too. Even if that one doesn't work out. But if I remember correctly it didn't work out because of her choice to join the Scub. There certainly is a theme of trying to break away from family expectations. I feel like from the three though, Sumner doesn't really do much to get away. He still chooses to be in the military, even if it is riding an LFO he is still doing what his family expects.

Renton on the other hand completely forgoes his entire life to join the Gekko State. It isn't until he truly feels like there isn't a place there for him that he goes searching for where he belongs.

Holland could have easily been the protagonist of this game. It'll become more apparent near the end of the game. But this game could have been about Holland. Which I think could have been a more interesting story. We were told about him leaving the SOF and military in the anime, and I think that could have been a really cool story to see. Sadly, we won't be seeing that as this game is all about Sumner.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I seem to remember at one point in development that it was supposed to be Holland's story, particularly since apparently the second game deals with the CFS.

As far as Renton I never got the implication that he was running away from his name, as much as he was running away from other people's expectations of him. His grandfather wanted him to be a mechanic. His teachers kept building him up as the son of a war hero. Same with his uncle. His peers resented him for the unearned adulation. But all he ever wanted was to Lift, and to be a kid. Ironically, his father's war hero reputation was entirely a construct of Dewey. Which serves to give more parallels between Holland and Renton.

I could probably do a huge effortpost on how Holland, Dewey, and Renton are examples of different kinds of fathers and dealing with parental abuse/neglect but that's probably best done when I haven't been awake for twentythree hours straight.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I think what I dislike the most about the anime was when we finally got to meet Adroc and he didn't say a single word. He was built up at the beginning of the show as that war hero, even though we know he didn't save anyone for the seventh swell, and we finally got a confrontation between him and Renton. And got nothing from it. Because of him, Renton had to go through a whole lot. Especially after Diane had left. But that's a different discussion. The main power houses of the show had a lot of parallels as you said, and it's interesting how they all really stem from their fathers.

I kind of wish Sumner had something else going for him as well. Like you said, Renton would probably have been a mechanic, and there are a few points in the anime where that does come up, even if only a little. Sumner has nothing. Though that is the point of him.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

According to the director, they couldn't get someone who both A) sounded right and B) was cheap enough to pay for his single "I'm proud of you son." line so they decided to just cut away to a long shot so you never heard him speak.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
I love the way Holland just can't help but be an rear end to Renton for seeing himself in him.

Also they way he sees in Eureka a chance to be a better parent.

All of them are trying to escape from what they were and what was above them, and bring something better to what's coming next

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I mean. If the director says they couldn't find someone they couldn't find someone. But I don't really feel like it'd take the most amazing voice actor in the world to convey that one line. Heck, they could have had Keiji Fujiwara do the voice and just really drive home the comparison of Holland being a father figure to Renton.

Holland being a dick to Renton was also more than just because he saw himself in him. It was a way to vent out his anger from basically telling Diane to kill herself and then she vanished, his own hatred for his brother after idolizing him for his whole life, and because he was so certain that he was going to be Eureka's partner but NOPE.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Holland wanted to be Eureka's partner because he saw that as making up for several shortcomings in his life. Probably chiefly in that he was the Sacrifice King and meant to bring peace to the land. It wasn't until Eureka finally stood up to him shortly before the season break that made him realize that he was doing exactly what Dewey was doing, forcing children to fight because they were useful.

Which is why in the later episodes he takes that burden on himself, he won't force Renton and Eureka to fight (Even though he is unashamed of giving them the means to do so, if it is necessary) instead waging a one man war with the Devilfish which was literally killing him.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Technically Holland didn't become the sacrificial king as Dewey killed their father before hand. In the end, Holland always did what he thought was correct, aside from beating on Renton, and then what he thought was right changed. Out of all the characters he probably changed the most. At least in a way that was very clearly observable. Renton's change was very gradual, as was Eureka's in a way. We saw her change after being absorbed in the Scub, but it wasn't until after that that she even really became her own character.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well, he was supposed to be, and he's got the warpaint crown tattooed on his arm. Wheras Dewey had the paint wiped away by his father (SYMBOLISM). So it's clear he still thinks of himself that way whereas Dewey thinks that the planet betrayed him. But it's true he developed the most out of any character (Save maybe Anemone and Dominic) since he was able to let go of his past and move forward.

As far as Eureka, the first 15 or so episodes is Renton (Unintentionally) replacing her in every positive relationship that she has in her life. It wasn't until Renton pulled her out of the Scub that she realized that she actually was valuable, but then Holland punished Renton for it which drove another wedge into their relationship. It shortchanged her to be sure, though. At least the last half of the anime makes up for it.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Since it kind of broke up perfectly between 25 episodes, I always saw the first half being about Renton's growth and understanding, and the later half being about Eureka. Not that either of them had any less of a spotlight or growth in the other parts. It was just rather apparent.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We get to the meat of the investigation and it turns out that we're better at it than anyone else on Sawyer team. This is both a great confidence boost as well as completely terrifying. One thing I really like about Bester is that it actually feels like a fleshed out city. We don't see a lot of it, but compared to the towns we come across in the anime, things are actually going on here.

There's gangs. There's a lift race track, you have coffee that has a "back story" and ruins and a bunch of things. It's a fleshed out location! It's amazing. I love it. I love this area. Compared to Bellforest. Also. Neat fact about Renton. He's 14 at the start of the show and 16 at the end. Apparently 2 years passed.

Part B - Shaun's Friend

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We're slowly wrapping up this case. For some reason, Sumner is still the only reliable one in the group. Which is TERRIFYING. Imagine if Renton was the only one reliable person in the show. I think the coraleans would have wiped everyone out. Also, the fights are now getting more fun and interesting.

Part C - Super Stealth

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Warmal posted:

Imagine if Renton was the only one reliable person in the show.

Don't say something so horrible.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Just think about it though. If Renton was trying to pull everything by himself, nothing would have been done. On the other hand. Charles and Ray may not have died then.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Remember when I said we were dependable? Welp. This marks the end of our teams first mission as a group. And I'm hard pressed to say what anyone else actually did in it.

Part D - The Best Militia

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I take control of this one by myself as Sumner starts his next mission. Let me know if you like this solo commentary, I talked more about the series as a whole and how I think the game could have improved a bit more.

Episode 4
Part A - Black Market

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Sumner makes a friend who is only proving just how oblivious and trusting Sumner is. Seriously. The military couldn't have sent any one else to go undercover?

Part B - Sky Needle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We finally do our actual job and nearly die because of it. Also. Plot twist? I dunno. I'm sure everyone saw it coming.

Part C - An Important Question

• Locked thread