Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was Bleach good?
This poll is closed.
yah 57 21.03%
nah 214 78.97%
Total: 271 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
for bleach, whenever you ask "was x aizen all along?", the answer is always "yeah, probably"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

for bleach, whenever you ask "was x aizen all along?", the answer is always "yeah, probably"

.....the mod

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Aizen's illusions were never consistent throughout Bleach.

Like first, his fake corpse is revealed to have actually been his sword. He claims he can make a fly look like a dragon, and a lake look like a swamp. He needs an object unto which project an illusion.

Next time he uses his powers against Komamura he creates an after image clone out of nowhere next to Tousen.

Then, Turn Back the Pendulum, he reveals that the man Shinji thought was Aizen was actually a mook that was following him around. In Deicide, he switches places with Hinamori to get stabbed. Meaning that he needs a person to project his illusions into.

And then, on his final fight with Yhwach he takes the places of Renji, Ichigo and himself all at once...only he loses an arm as Renji-Aizen, and then said arm is still missing when he goes Ichi-Aizen. Meaning that his illusions follow some ghost law of conservation of mass? :psyduck:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
IIRC While Unohana couldn't see through his illusion, she could sense that there was something off about the body. Maybe using the illusion on an already existing thing makes it easier to maintain or harder to for someone to pick up on?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she didn't just see the body, she did an autopsy on it.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

lezard_valeth posted:

Like first, his fake corpse is revealed to have actually been his sword. He claims he can make a fly look like a dragon, and a lake look like a swamp. He needs an object unto which project an illusion.

Next time he uses his powers against Komamura he creates an after image clone out of nowhere next to Tousen.

Then, Turn Back the Pendulum, he reveals that the man Shinji thought was Aizen was actually a mook that was following him around. In Deicide, he switches places with Hinamori to get stabbed. Meaning that he needs a person to project his illusions into.

And then, on his final fight with Yhwach he takes the places of Renji, Ichigo and himself all at once...only he loses an arm as Renji-Aizen, and then said arm is still missing when he goes Ichi-Aizen. Meaning that his illusions follow some ghost law of conservation of mass? :psyduck:

These are all consistent examples though, if explained properly. All of them use an object upon which to project an illusion.

In the Komamura fight, Tousen is the object and the illusion is of Tousen and Aizen.
In TBTP, it's the mook.
In Deicide, it is Hinamori.
In Yhwach, it is himself, which is why him losing his arm doesn't change.

Actually, this progression of the application of his powers would be very clever if it were explained in a more understandable way.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Hell, in the last fight, Aizen's plan to "see if he could confuse The Almighty" could be better explained as him testing to see if Yhwach's perception of who/what is in front of him directly affects his vision. For example, if he sees "Renji" in front of him and looks into that Renji's future, will he see the future of Renji or the future of that person masquerading as Renji? If it is the former, this could have been a clever trick to destroy Yhwach's confidence in his own ability. He would try to fruitlessly rewrite the future only to see that the person affected is completely unaffected. Kyoka Suigetsu is an ability that could be used in interesting ways, but it really got wasted in lieu of sword-fighting. Aizen is a master of Kido only surpassed by Tessai and Hachigen and he could have done a lot more with Kido ability compounded with the ability to cast an illusion on any object. It suits him much better than having or using a sword.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
And who knows how what limitations still apply to his illusion powers after he touched the Hoagie.

Oh wait, the Hoagie told him to not use those powers again so that Ichigo could beat him. Imagine if he replaced his weird transformation arms race with "Hey, look at my sword!"

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I like the complete lack of effort after getting close to his goal. That's very fitting for someone with Aizen's god-complex. It's even consistent with how he just forgot to keep using his power after Ichigo cut Yhwach down the first time. Actually, if any character has been consistent since they've shown their real personality, it is Aizen.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
It's obviously unclear and rushed, but the idea I got from Ywach's death speech wasn't that he was going to make everybody happy, but that the current state of death and fear was undesirable and that even not existing would be preferable for all beings. It's unusual because his motivations appeared to change out of nowhere and for 90% of the last four years he was just getting revenge for the Quincy extermination so suddenly becoming double god and waxing poetic about his plans for all creation got weird but that's Kubo for you. His problem was building up Aizen for most of the entire manga and then having an arc with a new villain be the final one, so he felt the guy needed to be sufficiently omnipotent to pose a real threat, which gives us The Almighty.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I was 100% convinced the plot was going to get hijacked by Aizen at the last second but there you go.

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
I like that we're so acclimated to Bleach that a ghost autopsy isn't even blinked at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KSSo2QK6o4

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I kinda liked and kinda miss Tessai. Like you see him and think "why is he there"

Then we find out he's pretty much the most powerful Kido user in the loving world.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Scyantific posted:

Then we find out he's pretty much the most powerful Kido user in the loving world.

Which is like being the fastest unicyclist.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Alright, you guys finally convinced me, I'm going to read all of Bleach.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Please join me for my Let's Read thread where we read a Chapter a day and discuss it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Nooooooooooooooooooooo

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

DolphinCop posted:

i hope the next wsj release has twenty pages of "This Space Intentionally Left Blank"

I see Kubo's drawing backgrounds again.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Please join me for my Let's Read thread where we read a Chapter a day and discuss it.

I'm up for it.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ah, the two year long simulread

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

lezard_valeth posted:

Not an afterimage clone. It was Gin.

You can see Aizen's captain's cloak changing into Gin's version. And then a few pages later you see Gin standing where Aizen was.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASSFz1g7RpI

Well, thank you anime, you made me look silly on the internet

Though this only reinforces that he was blowing smoke up his rear end when he said he could make a fly look like a dragon.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Tomorrow is Thursday and I don't have anything to hate-read.

WE'VE MADE A HUGE MISTAKE

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

lezard_valeth posted:

Tomorrow is Thursday and I don't have anything to hate-read.

WE'VE MADE A HUGE MISTAKE

Just read the final chapter again lmao

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sydin posted:

I was 100% convinced the plot was going to get hijacked by Aizen at the last second but there you go.

Same. It looks like there's an awful lot of plot (and Ichigo transformations!) that ended up on the cutting room floor.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Just read the final chapter again lmao

I really didn't care much about waifu canonicity.

My favorite kind of hate-read was my favourite captain that was hyped for 10 years failing to deliver against a chicken god

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Start reading Reborn it is somehow overall worse than Bleach

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

slev posted:

Start reading Reborn it is somehow overall worse than Bleach

Read The Night Land. Sure, it's a 104 year old book, not a manga, but it does start off as a post apocalyptic exploration and then take a sudden turn into the propriety of beating the poo poo out of your wife!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

perhaps you could read something good, my friends in the bleach post-mortem thread. I have many manga I could recommend

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Knew it, Warner is doing it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

perhaps you could read something good, my friends in the bleach post-mortem thread. I have many manga I could recommend

How many of them are Mob Psycho 100?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Helck
Red Storm
Mob Pyscho 100
One Punch Man
My Hero Academia
Beelzebub

read 1 of those

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kild posted:

Helck
Red Storm
Mob Pyscho 100
One Punch Man
My Hero Academia
Beelzebub

read 1 of those

Where's Black Clover.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Read The Night Land. Sure, it's a 104 year old book, not a manga, but it does start off as a post apocalyptic exploration and then take a sudden turn into the propriety of beating the poo poo out of your wife!

The Stoddard version is a lot easier to get through.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Where's Black Clover.

black clover is ok but I wouldn't tell anyone "hey, you should definitely read this"

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

have you considered, reading something that isn't shonen

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
have you considered reading web novels which are incredibly bad on their own merits even before you consider their incredibly bad translations?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

I'm a young man at heart manchild, so no.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

I tried Ulysses once.

So, yeah. Sticking with shonen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ha ha, it isn't like there is nothing between "comic for children" and "barely comprehensible dead english dialect"

• Locked thread