Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was Bleach good?
This poll is closed.
yah 57 21.03%
nah 214 78.97%
Total: 271 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

have you considered reading web novels which are incredibly bad on their own merits even before you consider their incredibly bad translations?

I want to hear your suggestions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I want to hear your suggestions

well, if you want actual good wn's there is kumoko, i shall seal the heavens, and my disciple died again. for awful, there is the wuxia psychotic murder hobo genre, the poorly thought out vrmmo genre, and the power fantasy that was likely written by a 13 year old genre.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

well, if you want actual good wn's there is kumoko, i shall seal the heavens, and my disciple died again. for awful, there is the wuxia psychotic murder hobo genre, the poorly thought out vrmmo genre, and the power fantasy that was likely written by a 13 year old genre.

For a true trip, try reading this Chinese web thing's description.

quote:

A 23-year-old man who graduated from Harvard or (so his Info says )flew back to his home country to sell fried goat meat in his self-made small stall, representing a conservative generation of youth. He went to a bar looking for a girl to settle his lust and found a drunken beauty. They spent a wild night with each other, and the girl coldly and silently left in the morning in front of the guy’s face, leaving a small red stain on the bed sheet. After a few day, she forced him to marry her for 2 years by contract, and after the contract expires he’s free to do what he wants. She later revealed to him she’s the CEO of one of the biggest corporation in the country.

Will a girl with the burden of a giant corporation with her own emotional scar be able to find love and to share the person she loves with other beauties? Will a man who lived to kill his entire is life, with the burden of being Hades, one of the 12 gods of Olympus, be able to set aside his responsibilities to live with the girl(s) he loves or to improve his godly skills to protect everything he cares for from an unseen threat?

It's like 2 loving different stories.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ha ha, it isn't like there is nothing between "comic for children" and "barely comprehensible dead english dialect"

That's Finnegan's Wake. Ulysses is comprehensible on a line by line basis, but it's too busy dropping references and feeling smug to actually have a comprehensible narrative or an actual point. It's kind of "Ready Player One" for the English major set, only Joyce could write his way out of a paper bag.

And no. Of course not.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the best part about that description is that it has the polygamy tag

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why are the gods of Greece in China anyways.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

That's Finnegan's Wake. Ulysses is comprehensible on a line by line basis, but it's too busy dropping references and feeling smug to actually have a comprehensible narrative or an actual point. It's kind of "Ready Player One" for the English major set, only Joyce could write his way out of a paper bag.

And no. Of course not.

it continually dropped references to contemporary irish politicians. so, no one anyone alive today would recognize the name of, much less anything they had done. it was incredibly dated almost from the minute it was published and i really don't understand why it is considered a classic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
still better than finnegan's wake though, where that fucker joyce constantly made up nonsense words and never explained what they meant.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

more like they were too deep for you

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Kild posted:

Helck
Red Storm
Mob Pyscho 100
One Punch Man
My Hero Academia
Beelzebub

read 1 of those

Let's all go read Toriko!!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's what everyone who only read joyce because a lit class required it says

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

it continually dropped references to contemporary irish politicians. so, no one anyone alive today would recognize the name of, much less anything they had done. it was incredibly dated almost from the minute it was published and i really don't understand why it is considered a classic.

As I said, it's almost entirely made up of obscure references to make lit majors feel better than other people. It's like calling out how great the town your band's playing in is.

Never underestimate the appeal of appealing to people's innate sense of smug superiority.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Let's all go read Toriko!!

Toriko is very good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even when toriko is at less than its best, it remains endearingly bizarre. everything about the bambina arc is like a fever dream.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

even when toriko is at less than its best, it remains endearingly bizarre. everything about the bambina arc is like a fever dream.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I really like Toriko's imagery, especially early one, when everyone had mad awesome demon auras.

Or when they use their team attack on the Four Beasts monster.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I've been reading toriko since the gourmet pyramid arc and there hasn't ever been a week where I wasn't looking forward to the next chapter.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I've been reading toriko since the gourmet pyramid arc and there hasn't ever been a week where I wasn't looking forward to the next chapter.

Wouldn't you stop if you weren't?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I started reading like, 2 ~ 3 months back? A few chapters after Jirou kicked the bucket.

All it did was force me to ask myself why it took so long to start.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I really like Toriko's imagery, especially early one, when everyone had mad awesome demon auras.

Or when they use their team attack on the Four Beasts monster.

My favorite moment, when it comes to imagery, was when that evil lady cut that dude's body right off his bones without him even realizing it, in the bubble fruit arc.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

are you really asking that in a bleach thread

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

I did with bleach, haha.

I started reading like, 2 ~ 3 months back? A few chapters after Jirou kicked the bucket.

All it did was force me to ask myself why it took so long to start.

Oh wow, like, you started reading right at the end. There's probably less than 50 chapters left now.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Matoi Ryuko posted:

My favorite moment, when it comes to imagery, was when that evil lady cut that dude's body right off his bones without him even realizing it, in the bubble fruit arc.

Oh god that was brutal.

I wasn't actually expecting any of the Food Ethics dudes to die but wham.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I did with bleach, haha.

Oh wow, like, you started reading right at the end. There's probably less than 50 chapters left now.

Yeah, I'm stoked for the ending.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

are you really asking that in a bleach thread

lmao

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Oh god that was brutal.

I wasn't actually expecting any of the Food Ethics dudes to die but wham.

Another cool moment I really liked was the starjun fight at the gourmet tournament. Super badass fight.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I liked the 2 fights against Tommyrod.

I also miss Greenpeace or whatever his name was. Such a fun dude. Too bad he and Tommy went down so quickly after their return.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I liked the 2 fights against Tommyrod.

I also miss Greenpeace or whatever his name was. Such a fun dude. Too bad he and Tommy went down so quickly after their return.

Tommyrod's fight with sunny had all kinds of crazy rear end faces.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Tommyrod's fight with sunny had all kinds of crazy rear end faces.

Tommyrod in general seems like one of the most expressive dudes.

Another favorite moment is Sunny falling unconscious during the Durian arc despite being nowhere near the Durian when ti falls.

And then fainting again when meeting Toriko and Komatsu.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
anyone could tell that cannibalism was inevitable, but i don't think anyone predicted that the one to start it would be sani.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Tommyrod in general seems like one of the most expressive dudes.

Another favorite moment is Sunny falling unconscious during the Durian arc despite being nowhere near the Durian when ti falls.

And then fainting again when meeting Toriko and Komatsu.

That ark STUNK. Ha...I loved it though, really.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the least appetizing food in the manga was that eho maki monchy rubbed his filthy, hairy body all over.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wasn't fond of mushrooms because I am not fond of mushrooms in real life either.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Why are the gods of Greece in China anyways.
It was a thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhist_art

Evolving like friggin' pokemon.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 25, 2016

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Please join me for my Let's Read thread where we read a Chapter a day and discuss it.

lol you could read 5 chapters a day and come up short on content

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Wow nice food spoilers guys... Haha psyche, just a little food joke.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Man, will people still care about Bleach in 2018? Maybe even later if it spends some time in development hell? And how're you gonna market it?

"Based on the hit manga that got cancelled!"

Still, knowing my Western adaptions, this will probably be (more or less loosely) based on the first arc, aka we get to see telephone poles and giant hamsters.

(I'm also surprised Ichigo will not get whitewashed like Goku.)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Ghost in the Shell getting an adaptation will make a lot of studios try to follow the leader

...Right up until the crash and burn period where a bunch of movies see a sudden budget cut. :v:

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ghost in the Shell getting an adaptation will make a lot of studios try to follow the leader

...Right up until the crash and burn period where a bunch of movies see a sudden budget cut. :v:

Wasn't that one in development hell for quite a while? Just like that NGE movie, and maybe also a Battle Angel Alita flick? I'm also pretty sure a Cowboy Bebop movie is stuck there as well, seeing how huge the show was in America. It's like that Dragon Ball movie was enough to make all of these projects a somewhat lower priority.

Lol, an Akira movie is als burning in development hell. What's next? Voltron?

*Does some quick research*

Oh my, just how many layers does this hell have? Seems these adaptions only work if your movie is only loosely based or inspired by anime, but that only seems to happen with Satoshi Kon's work. Still waiting for a Hollywood movie in the Millenium Actress style.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I tried Toriko, but the whole food theme seems incredibly forced and tiresome at all times, and since that's the whole thing... Apparently it's not for me.

Also Komatsu is really, really ugly; I just find flared nostrils so utterly repulsive that I don't want to look at him ever again.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 25, 2016

• Locked thread