Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Jeff
4 FP

He drinks a little more water. "You all got some practice. I don't. Where I come from, it's words, fists, bullets, in that order. And that's for against other men, not -" He tries to pronounce it right - "Liiw Yiim." It's not quite right, but he at least comes sort of close.

"No, them? I wouldn't hunt them without a weapon that keeps me far away. I mean, if they're what I think, I don't wanna get close to those claws and teeth. Guess that makes me less of a man to you all, but I ain't much accustomed to playing fair. You'd be surprised how you gotta keep yourself safe in the music business." He shakes his head while smiling. "Better run through the jungle, whoa, don't look back to see," Jeff sings, aping John Fogerty as best he can. "I ain't gonna break your rules either, though, since you're bein' so...hospitable. So maybe I stay here and play some music while anyone else who feels froggy enough to jump goes hunting."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Courtney D'Arvent - Fort?, FP 1/11, CP 5

"Yeah, uh..." Courtney coughs into their hand--the one that would have brass knuckles if there were a fisticuffs fight going on. "If I can't bring a piece, the only other way I know how to fight is to make like Jack Dempsey and box their ears, and I don't think that works on old birdies with naturally growing Italian-style shoe knives." Also they probably couldn't throw a punch properly even if they could punch a dinosaur in the teeth, but they don't need to know that, do they?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure
5CP, 3/10FP

The group gathers, Azure joining in with them, standing in a loose circle. Their hosts may ask questions if the conversation is too one sided - she stands so her back is to them.

~~The hunt appears to be a simple bait-and-kill process. A coming of age ritual for young men,~~ Azure casts, with a slight nod to Miles. ~~Participating could give us standing with the tribe. Alika says they have brought home others who have been abandoned here, so I think they will show hospitality in either case.~~ Azure's eyes dart around the group. ~~Having already come of age, I see no reason to do so again,~~ she casts. ~~I cannot imagine such an endeavor being...entertaining.~~

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi Aoshima - Wooden Fort
4/11 FP

It seemed a straightforward shot. If the only way off the blasted island was to participate in a dinosaur hunt, then by God, she would hunt dinosaurs. Naomi smiled as she realized the possibilities -- there were far worse reputations to establish than someone who stood toe-to-toe with a prehistoric monster. All she'd have to do was win.

"You'd be surprised what you can manage with a good pair of fists, Courtney," Naomi said. "I'd be happy to lend mine to our hosts, if they'd oblige."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Beach Fort

Alika allows the group to talk privately. The other islanders go back to other tasks, so as not to intrude on the Matang conversation (even though they might not even understand it).

Kanoa, the man by the fire and the story teller, continues to talk. The young men seem entranced by his talking. At one point Kanoa reaches into a pouch and brings out a talon of sorts that is a third of a meter in size. He then uses it to illustrate a point by making slashing motions towards the young men.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Unknown Settlement
3/10 FP

"If everyone goes on this hunt or is killed what then? Wait here till the next ship comes along, yes? Seems hunt should be something we consider just to stack the deck in our favor, both in show of strength and... getting out alive." She said having started to feel better with non bitter tasting water down her throat and eating the food that was offered. "I don't want to go in those woods and hunt again. Foul smelling place with big deenosars as you all call them." She said stretching her english as much as she can to try to fit in with the rest of the people at the camp. Scratching her head, she just looks dead tired at least.

Irina notices the other man being shown the force of the claw attack and wonders. "This camp looks defensible though if we had to hold up here." Standing again she takes some of the water and food and offers it to the others. "Not much taste, but good."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles
FP = 6

He listens to the others as they have their say and then ponders on their decisions for a time before speaking. With only himself and the lady Naomi willing to hunt, it seems the overall decision is made.
"I feel indebted to these people, but I suppose saving a life does not mean it should be risked again to return the favour. As much as I would like to help, if the majority of us feel it is too great a risk then we shall not be a part of it as we should stay together. After all, this is their tradition and what boy can call himself a man if strangers complete his right of passage for him, eh?"

He wipes more sweat from his brow and helps himself to another mouthful of water. In truth, he feels far too exhausted to be of much use in a hunt and the others seem in equally bad shape, if not worse. "No. I suppose we have been through enough ordeal as it is. Let us ask then for passage to their home island. Perhaps there is some task there we can accomplish to pay our debt. One that does not require fighting beasts we have no knowledge of."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Unknown Settlement
3/10 FP

Irina scoffs at the implication that she wasn't fulfilling any debt. As if a Knight knew more about honor than her, the very idea was more than insulting. She dragged herself to her feet. "If someone has to pay a debt it is only fitting that the ranking officer be present." Irina said in a much less formal way than she had before, but only due to the fatigue.

"I will not have these people say that a true Russian Patriot does not pay her own way."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure
5CP, 3/10FP

~~There is a difference, Sir Miles, between fighting in extremis and seeking out danger when unnecessary,~~ Azure casts. Her head turns towards Irina.~~I would happily help these natives with their filing or dinner arrangements. Hunting dinosaurs is rather outside my area,~~ she continues. ~~We are not all warriors here.~~

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Courtney D'Arvent - Fort?, FP 1/11, CP 5

"Honestly, I wouldn't mind the chance to punch a raptor in the jawbones, but, uh..." Courtney stands up and noticeably staggers, as if they'd been drinking already. "I think the dino would bite my arm off first in my current dryness."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles
FP = 6

The knight nods to Azure and Courtney."Indeed. The simple fact is only a select number of us would be useful in this hunt. And I feel we would be more a hindrance to these people than helpful. I think it best we simply take their offer of passage to this other island and see what answers we can find there on what to do next. If this is their rite of passage, then perhaps it best we do not interfere." He look to Irina. "Unless you object, Captain?"

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi Aoshima - Beach Fort
4/11 FP

"Far be it from me to get in the way of everyone's eagerness to not beat the gizzards out of a dinosaur," Naomi said, "but I can't help but feel that there should be some give-and-take here. I feel wrong taking advantage of hospitality without doing anything to deserve it."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Beach Fort

Time goes by and the sun begins to go down. The group can see the islanders preparing for the ritual hunt by putting on pieces of armor made out of some kind of woven fabric. They don vests along with separate pieces on the arms and legs.

Alika addresses the group.

"Now hunt or stay." Alika offers. "Soon they go out."

Quick post to keep things going. If anyone wants to go on the rite of passage hunt, then now is the time to speak up.

Everyone has rested long enough to recover all of your fp as well.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

For quite some time, the motormouth doesn't say a word. The strength, at least, has come back into his legs; food and coconut water did the trick, for sure. Then, with a quiet scoff, Jeff starts to speak. "I mean, you ain't wrong," he says at first to Naomi. "We gotta make it up somehow if we don't go. I just - just think about how nuts this is, you know? Stabbing one of the drat things to death is a drat sight trickier than just lining up a good shot. I'm sure they got some sort of way of doing it, but still, it feels about as safe as trying to go three rounds in the ring with a grizzly. We got lucky showing up near land at all, blowin' that good fortune this way just seems wrong."

"But," he adds, standing and testing his legs, clearly energized again, "if people are on the fence about goin' or not goin' based on how many of us take this drat leap of faith, then I'll go too. Even if it's nuts. Don't really want to, but...well, honestly, I'm startin' to feel like whatever we do is gonna be nuts for a long time, anyway."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Beach Settlement

"Look it from their point of view we are travelers. By doing this, we might become part of the tribe. Then we get more help and standing. The Native Territories were similar. It is best to gain respect in their eyes now, instead of later." She said a bit more confident. Shouldering her gun again, she looks from person to person. "Besides it is not like we have to use our hands to kill them, yes?" She looks at Alika and nods seriously.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Courtney D'Arvent - Fort, FP 11/11, CP 5

Actually, now that Courtney can actually feel their drat legs again (holy goddess above, how long had they walked?!) the idea of punching a dino in the jaw with brass knuckles actually sounds...interesting? It'd certainly make good advertising when they get back to the city--Courtney D'Arvent, Private Investigator, Punches Dinos and Thieves. They check their brass knuckles and stand up.

"Jeff's...got a point. And suddenly I wanna feel how something with sharp teeth feels when it's punched, and I'm not sure why."

Also it would be very pulpy, and Courtney already reads like one kind of pulp protagonist, so we can call this stepping out of Detective Stories and into...some other cheesy rag.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

All this talk of deciding their next action may be taxing on the mind, but his body is feeling ready once more now that they've had time to rest and have a fine meal. "Very well then. Let us join the hunt to return their kindness."

Although he's been lost amongst that which he does not understand up to this point, at least now he can prepare for something he does understand; war. No matter the time or place, war never changes. "Although I am used to this sort of combat, you all might be best off with throwing spears and bows, if they are of use." He smiles. "Perhaps my size and shine of my armour will keep our prey's attention fixed on me whilst you all fire from a safe distance."

Speaking of weapons, he joins Irina's look to Alika. "What weapons can you spare for us to use?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Beach Fort

Seeing that some of the group wanted to participate in the hunt, Alika says, "Good"

He then walks over to a corner of the fort where numerous weapons have been collected. Among the collection are six six foot tall spears made of some kind of a black wood with metal tips and two spears with barbs carved into the dark wood of the spear. There are a multitude of various clubs. Some of the clubs are merely handles with a large protuberance at one end. Others are have various sharp points carved into them, while a couple clubs have large teeth embedded within them. A couple of slender sword like weapons are there as well. These appear to be sword shaped, but with some kind of black glass embedded into them. Sifa walks over to the weapons and gives a quick demonstration on how the weapons should be used. He demonstrates that the spears can be thrown or thrust towards an enemy. Some of the clubs are used for throwing (and there appear to be more of these clubs than other weapons), other clubs have a point on the head. Sifa shows that the point is meant to strike an opponent's head. The sword like weapons are shown next.The use of them is easy to understand. Sifa points to Miles sword and nods to show approval of that weapon's use as well.

The young men going on the hunt appear to have chosen their weapons. They seem to carry a couple clubs and one or two other weapons besides.

Here are the weapons available to the group. Even though I mention the amounts of each weapon, I'm not concerning myself about sticking to the numbers. Basically everyone going on the hunt can choose up to 2 melee weapons and two throwing clubs. Here is the list of weapons and the skills needed to use them proficiently:

Axe/mace:
Knobbed Club dam sw+1 cr st 8
Round Mace Dam sw+2 cr st 12 (can be thrown)
Small Round Mace dam sw+1 st 10 (can be thrown)

Broadsword
Wooden sword with obsidian shards dam sw+2(0.5) cut st 10 or dam thr+1 cr st 10
wooden club with shark’s teeth dam sw+1(0.5) cut st 10 or dam thr cr st 10 or thr-1 imp

Shortsword
Small wooden sword with obsidian shards dam sw+1(0.5) cut st 8 or dam thr cr st 8

Spear
Short Spear dam thr+1 imp st 6 or dam thr cut st 6 (Tip Slash)
Spear with pieces of obsidian inserted around the perimeter of the head dam thr+1 imp st 6 or dam thr cut st 6 (Tip Slash)

Thrown weapon (axe/mace)
Throwing clubs dam sw+1 cr acc 1 range x1/x1.5 st 10

Also any knives, daggers, and/or swords would be allowed as well. With Sifa's guidance, everyone can take a +1 against any penalties on using these weapons.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So I take it I can't use my sling?

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

Without much fanfare, Jeff produces his knife from the interior of his jacket. It was a bit more for cracking helmets than cracking dinos, based on the spike-like shape and the rather sturdy-looking knuckle-guard, but it would do. At least he'd held it before. And it isn't like his vest is made for prehistoric murderbeasts either. But if it could stop a .38, maybe it could stop claws. Jeff had to hope for that, because otherwise he'd just signed himself up to get killed.

He offers up the knife for show. "Jack the Knife aside, is this within the rules?" He smiles, and with his off-hand gestures to one of the obsidian spears. He didn't really know what he'd do with one, but at least it could give some reach and help keep beasties at bay, he figured. "Would take one of those two, if you don't mind. Keep some options open."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Courtney D'Arvent - Fort, FP 11/11, CP 5-1

"Hey, someone knows a trench rat!" Courtney exclaims when Jeff brandishes his trench-knife looking blade. Or maybe he's just...something tells them that comments like that won't go over well. "Actually, you know what, that reminds me..."

They grab one of the spears and heft it, one hand close to the blade, the other in a strange grip on the other side.

"The Great War ended before I could take an all-expenses-paid tour of England and France, but they did teach us some basics about this." They start going through a series of motions--anybody familiar with a 1910s manual of arms might find some of them familiar. "Yeah, this takes me back...cold tents...bad food...screaming sergeants...fun times!"

They swing the spear back and forth while singing "Ya gotta get up/ya gotta get up/ya gotta get up this morning/someday the bugler's getting a shaaaaaanking/someday he's going to get up deaaaaad~"

Going to cash in one of those CP to pick up Spear DX-1 = 12.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 19, 2016

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Beach Fort

Hector looks around and sees that one of the young men also carries a sling with him. It seems that slings are among the weapons allowed in the hunt.

Alika looks at Jeff's knife and nods in approval. The man looks at the knife with admiration as well. When Jeff points to the spears, he nods to let him know he can take a spear.

PG, sorry forgot about Hector's sling. I planned on having one of the young men having a sling already, so its definitely good for the hunt. Also Davin, good idea on putting a point into spear. Anyone else can do that as well. Assuming your character has some experience with spears or bayonets.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Hector

The young man holds onto his sling and touches his staff and knife, finding comfort in their weight. It's a scary thought, hunting monsters with these odd men and his odder still companions. But he has as good a chance as any to do it. "I'll use me own weapons, I think. I'm used enough to them that it'll be better than using something I've never hold onto in my life."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

The knight chuckles at Courtney's comments. "Your talk of military training sounds none too different from my own experiences. I suppose time and place does not change even the basics of warfare."

He nods in agreement with the young Hector. "I shall also stick with my own blades," he says, tapping the sword and knife at his sides. "They have not failed me yet. And although these beasts are likely to be more fearsome than any I have fought, I am sure a well struck blow will see them fall as easily as any other."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure
5CP, 10/10 FP

They actually want to do this. Azure's forced to confront that these people, her travelling companion, may all be stark raving mad. She'd thought better of Miles and Irina, at least, competent warriors that they seem to be. Perhaps that's the gap, that reasonable as they may see, they are at the heart warriors, ready to prove their mettle and unwilling to back down from a challenge.

Azure finds among the weapons a simple, light sword, closest to a foil she can find. The balance is adequate, even if using it against actual, full on dinosaurs smacks Azure as ridiculous. It's not as if the lizard will stay on the piste, follow right of way and bow when it loses.

Going to buy Azure Rapier (DX/A) 12 for 2 CP, largely for flavor, on the theory that she's a regular fencer. And been dealing with a lot of RL, a layoff, so... :-(

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

He nods back at Alika, assuming that was as good an endorsement as he is going to get. Even then, though, he still wishes the gun could be in play. It'd make him feel a whole lot more secure about this craziness. Jeff laughs, in turn, at Courtney's comment. "Trench rat? Nah. Bought it second-hand. This thing's probably...at least eighty years old, you know?" He flips it in his hand, casual-like. "I mean, we're talking Johnny Get Your Gun, here. Guess you lived through that, huh?"

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi Aoshima - Beach Fort

Naomi reached for the knife that wasn't there, and only stopped herself once she'd made most of the motion. She'd left one hell of a bladed arsenal in her spot for whoever came sniffing by, now that she was gone. If only she'd known she'd be jumping across worlds again, she could have made sure they'd end up with folks who'd appreciate them, and who she owed. There'd be too many obligations and favours going sour while she gallivanted off... wherever she was.

"After everything we've been through, a bit of smashing's the sort of release I need," she said. "But only smashing things that deserve it."

She tested the weight of a small mace, rounded on the end. Heavy, but nothing she couldn't handle, and if things came to it, she'd just let loose. Sure, she'd have to answer all those questions again, but it would be worth it to have a proper stretch.

Taking the Small Round Mace dam sw+1 st 10.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Courtney D'Arvent - Fort, FP 11/11, CP 4

"Well, some things about war change," Courtney stop mid-stab maneuver and answers Miles with a wince. "I got a lot of buddies who will tell you how." They look a bit distant for a moment, but brightens up when Jeff makes his comment. "Goddess above, if I ever hear that song again it'll be too soon. I've heard too many crappy player piano renditions to ever sing it right again!"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Beach fort

Alika begins to draw a diagram into the sand.

"In clearing. Fire at center." He points to the center of the mostly drawn circle. "They," He says pointing to the young men "Stay by fire." The crude stick figures represent the young men.

"You," he says pointing to the group, "stay by trees. Bait by fire. Liiw Yiim come." He draws stick figure dinos entering the clearing. "The young ones strike LIiw Yiim first. Then you can strike."

He looks up to see if the group understands how the ritual hunt will go.

For Azure. The plan is for the young men to sit next to the fire and the bait, while everyone else hides by the trees. When the dinos arrive, the young men are expected to get the first hit in. After that, everyone can join the fight.

Also, Platonicsolid, sorry to hear that. Being laid off sucks.

character buys are all approved.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

This is actually going to happen. She's survived a plane crash, a night on a mysterious island with strange people from different worlds, and somehow this is the most unnerving, the most terrifying thing she's faced yet. Azure sucks in a deep breath through her teeth as she listens to the plan get explained. It reminds her vaguely of a bull fight she and Guenivere had gone to. The young man gets to show off and be the matador. Alright. The foil in her hand seems even more inadequate. A rifle would be nice. Also a horse.

~~If this goes poorly,~~ Azure casts to the group, ~~expect no heroics from me. I will flee with vigor.~~

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Beach Settlement

"Well, it is good that we are not the bait, yes?" She said after a few minutes of contemplation and selected one of the short swords with black glass on the edges. She looks at the others as they prepare themselves for the attack and hunting of the lizards. It was going to be fierce, and the voiceless Azure seemed to only make her roll her shoulders.

"Try not to run and be too frightened, as they will follow you." She said pointedly, before looking at the diagram and nodding as she looked at the others.

"I am ready as I can be."

She is taking a shortsword which defaults to -4 to knife which she has at 14!

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

"Actually," Jeff says, studying the map written in the bright sand, "as plans go for this sort of thing, I guess it's not that bad." He rolls the knife around in his palm. The whole thing is still drat foolhardy, but the expectation for he and the other 'visitors' seems to be lesser. So much the better for them. drat shame he can't think of any songs about dinos, though. Songs by T-Rex, sure, but not about. He'd have to write one, maybe, if he isn't dead in a few hours.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He looks over the battle plan with a critical eye, but finds nothing to make him speak out and suggest differently. "Indeed," he says in agreement with Jeff. "A fairly straightforward plan. So long as we keep our wits about us, we should fare well."

The knight nods to Alika. "Understood. Your boys strike first and then we join in." He helps himself to another drink of water and bite to eat before making ready for what is to come.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"As long as the plan doesn't call for me to march towards the raptors with roast beef in outstretched hands, it works," Courtney nods their assent.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Beach fort

Sifa leaves the fort by himself and Alika stops anyone from following him.

"You know. Good." Alika points to the door. "Sifa go. He make the site ready and then you go."

A half hour later Sifa enters the fort again. He nods. The young men all get up and begin to walk towards the door. As the young men begin to leave, Sifa signals that the group should follow.

Sifa takes lead of the group and he goes down a trail into the jungle. The sun is beginning to set, but there's enough light to see, so that there's no danger of tripping. The path itself is well kept up and easy to follow. It looks as though its been used many times before. Less than a mile away from the fort. Sifa guides the group to a clearing in the jungle. The clearing is roughly twelve meters in diameter. At four points around the circle are lit torches mounted to poles. In the center of the circle is a large fire with some kind of meat roasting over it.

Sifa has everyone enter the circle and then places a log across the path into the circle. He looks to the group.

"Go. Hide in trees. Stay in shadows, but stay close."

Surrounding the clearing are numerous trees, but little in the way of undergrowth. There are ample places to where a person can hide amongst the shadows cast by the trees.

At the southern end of the clearing is another path entrance. This one has a piece of meat hanging from a branch dangling about five feet off the ground.

As the group begins to take in the surroundings, Courtney feels an odd sensation. Around the clearing, a meter outside the clearing actually, there is some kind of a magic barrier. Its a weak magic, but magic nonetheless.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

As they wait for Sifa to return, the knight occupies himself with making sure his blades are sharp, his armour clean and that his mind and body are ready for the challenging fight ahead. He also sneaks in a few more bits of food when no one appears to be watching, unsure of when his next meal might come.

When Sifa does return and they make their way through the jungle once more, he follows close to the front but behind the young ones out to prove themselves on this task. The walk is not nearly as strenuous now that the heat of the day has subsided a little in the growing twilight and that he is now refreshed from fresh water. "If anything should go wrong," he says calmly to his companions. "Run back to the fort without a second thought. I shall attempt to distract the beasts from you should they prove overwhelming."

Their arrival at the site of their objective comes soon enough and he nods to Sifa before taking up position back the way they came, obscured by the thickest part of the jungle he can find but one that also gives a decent view of the circle ahead. He also makes a point of keeping himself out of what sunlight remains to prevent the light from bouncing off of his armour.

Slowly, he draws his sword and holds it ready with a firm grip, his eyes now scanning the jungle for the first sign of these bird-like creatures.

Stealth 12 - to remain hidden as best I can.
Per 13 - to keep an eye out for trouble.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

He nods once in reply to Miles. "Best we keep it quiet," Jeff whispers, before stalking his way into the treeline as instructed. He almost looks like he knows what he's doing, his steps careful and oddly practiced. And he resists the urge to hum or whistle anything, for the moment, even with - suddenly, for little reason - a little Steve Miller Band riff in his head. Thinking of getting up to trouble and being on the run, which...well, being this far from home qualifies well enough. He feels lucky for the knife, for the vest, that he still has them with him, that he'd correctly reckoned that running off to the middle of nowhere for a spell meant being properly and paranoid-level prepared. He'd feel luckier for the gun if their hosts had allowed it, but, he supposes, those are the breaks.

And of course, he figures the violence to come will probably do as good a job as anything for evicting the song from his skull to be replaced by another...then again, so would the claws on the things they were hunting, if it came to that. If he isn't careful.

Observation 12, Stealth 14.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

Yet another hike through the jungle. Next time she goes through a plane crash and gets stranded on an island, could it perhaps have a resort, or at least a decent restaurant? Azure discretely takes a moment to check her pistol in her purse - rounds loaded, safety on. Good. She may not be much of a shot, but merely having it makes her feel a bit better, a feeling that persists even though she knows it's largely false comfort.

The group marches on, with Azure lingering close to Miles. Of all of them, it's the ancient knight who gives her the most sense of comfort. Perhaps it's his authority that comfort with this kind of situation that does it. Perhaps it's just that she knows he'll stand and fighting, giving her more time to escape.

Observation 14, Stealth (IQ-5) 9

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Stakeouts are something Courtney knows, like the back of their hand. Stakeouts in the wild are still in familiar territory--most illegal distilleries would be sniffed out, literally, if they set up in the middle of the Big City, after all. Stakeouts in the wild to get dinos. That's where it gets a bit off the map.

Still, it is, essentially, a stakeout, and even though they don't have their piece in hand they still need to keep a lookout.

"There's a tugboat/by the river, goin' slow/a cement bag/drooping down..."

Observation from Detective! is 13, Stealth is also from Detective! at 13, and I'm also committing Aura 14 into this mess!

[22:29:44] <Davin_Valkri> !r 3d6
[22:29:45] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 10 = 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Circle of the hunting ritual (Jungle)

Night comes and the clearing is lit up from the fire at the center. Arranged around the fire are the five young warriors. In the shadows and foliage surrounding the clearing the group has taken spots with a view of the clearing. The young men seem ill at ease and focus their attention on the opening to the jungle clearing. Courtney notices that the ground of the clearing appears to have been cleared and cleaned up to hide evidence of previous activities. This could be because the islanders don't want to tip off the dinosaurs from realizing this is a trap. On the other hand, it might have something to do with the low level magic they are picking up around the area.

After waiting for about an hour, the ambient noise of the jungle goes silent. It seems that something has spooked the small animals and insects that inhabit the jungle.

If there's any last minute adjustments, now is the time to do them. Like if anyone needs to move where they are on the diagram. Also I need people to post their combat stat blocks (or you can ask me to post them for characters). Also for anyone who wants a light blade similar to a rapier, here's the stats: Light shark tooth sword damage: sw cut reach: 1 Parry: 0

Characters are listed by first initial. Sifa is the S and the young warriors are listed by numbers.

• Locked thread