Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
why doesnt hollywood make a new movie? we already have Blade Runner :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Decebal posted:

They should include more cell phones and social media in the remake to connect with modern audiences.

Weird how no sci-fi author predicted this turn of events

back in the 1950s issac asimov predicted that Google/Facebook would achieve sentience, then kill itself after having become self aware
http://www.mcguiremarks.com/uploads/3/9/7/9/39793909/isaac_asimov-all_the_troubles_of_the_world_(1).pdf

quote:

“I don’t think so,” said Othman, in soft despair. “I’ve never thought about this
before. I’ve never had the occasion to until this happened, but now that I think of it, it
seems to me we have reached the end of
the road because Multivac is too good.
Multivac has grown so complicated, its reactions are no longer those of a machine, but
those of a living thing.”
“You’re mad, but even so?”
“For fifty years and more we have been loading humanity’s troubles on Multivac, on
this living thing. We’ve asked it to care for us, all together and each individually.
We’ve asked it to take all our secrets into
itself; we’ve asked it to absorb our evil and
guard us against it. Each of us bring his troubles to it, adding his bit to the burden.
Now we are planning to load the burden of human disease on Multivac, too.”
Othman paused a moment, then burst
out, “Mr. Gulliman, Multivac bears all the
troubles of the world on its shoulders and it is tired.”
“Madness. Midsummer madness,” muttered Gulliman.
“Then let me show you something. Let me put it to the test. May I have permission
to use the Multivac circuit line here in your office?”
“Why?”
“To ask it a question no one has ever asked Multivac before.”
“Will you do it harm?” asked Gulliman in quick alarm.
“No. But it will tell us what we want to know.”
The Chairman hesitated a trifle
. Then he said, “Go ahead.”
Othman used the instrument on Gulliman’s desk. His fingers punched out the
question with deft strokes: ‘Multivac, what do you yourself want more than anything
else?’
The moment between question and answer lengthened unbearably, but neither
Othman nor Gulliman breathed.
And there was a clicking and a card popped out. It was a small card. On it, in
precise letters, was the answer:
‘I want to die.’

• Locked thread