Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Mario Party

Everyone knows Mario Party. And everyone hates someone because of Mario Party. And ultimately, no one can really ever agree on the best Mario Party. What I'm sure most people won't say however, is that Mario Party Advance is their favourite. As far as the series goes, Hudson managed to make a video game perfectly emulate the feeling that Monopoly gives you towards those you are playing with. Whether that is a good of bad thing is also up for debate. But digression aside, Mario Party has always been a game meant to play with your friends. A game that is mostly a board game with the end goal to have the most stars. This game is not that at all.

Released in 2005 on the Game Boy Advance, Mario Party Advance is actually mostly single player. Taking in a quest like game mechanic rather than collection. But still keeping the collection in the form of “gadgets.” Which are really just glorified apps. But we'll get into that later.

The Let's Play

As Calli is the one that played this a lot years ago, she will be in control while I, Michael, take a back seat to truly experience this game. We will be completing all 50ish quests and showing off as much of everything as we can. Videos will post once a week unless we feel we have enough content to warrant more. As for lengths of the videos, it will be rather random as we won't be cutting off during a quest. So it may be 10 minutes, it may be 30. It'll be a surprise for us all!

And Now The Party

Episode 1 - Mario
Episode 2 - Yoshi
Episode 3 - Luigi
Episode 4 - Luigi
Episode 5 - Bonus 1
Episode 6 - Mario
Episode 7 - Peach
Episode 8 - Peach
Episode 9 - Peach
Episode 10 - Bonus 2
Episode 11 - Peach
Episode 12 - Mario
Episode 13 - Mario
Episode 14 - Mario
Episode 15 - Mario
Episode 16 - Mario
Episode 17 - Mario
Episode 18 - Luigi
Episode 19 - Peach
Final - Bonus 3

Warmal fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Yeah, I didn't really plan on reading all the voices. It takes a skill and dedication to do really good Mario voices. And that is something I do not have.

Calli agrees with you as well. She enjoyed this game so much because it's one of the ones where Peach got to be the hero.

That said, we aren't playing as the princess just yet. We'll be tackling it as everyone's favourite green dinosaur.

Episode 2 - Yoshi

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I think what I've enjoyed most about this game so far is it's minigames. They all feel very fresh and well thought out. Posing just enough of a challenge without it ever feeling unfair. Which is more than can be said for some minigames from the recent Mario Party games. The design of them is just very solid.

Insurrectionist posted:

This game looks pretty good. Honestly I'd never heard of handheld Mario Party games (but until last week I hadn't owned one since my old Gameboy Color so), and while the focus on minigames and moving on a board is the same this still seems different enough I'm kinda surprised they didn't give it another title. After all the 'Party' title comes from their multiplayer focus.

Keep in mind that this game came out on the GBA. There wasn't a huge focus on multiplayer games for the early handhelds, seeing as it was only achieved via link cable. And honestly, I can count on one hand how many times I had used that. So wanting to make a handheld Mario Party, I can't actually think of a better way to do it other than this. After all it is much easier to sell a game if it has a title people know. It probably wouldn't have sold very much at all if they had names it a different title entirely. Later hand held Mario Party games do forgo this style and stick more to the traditional way of playing.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I also feel that with the advancement of online gaming and multiplayer, we've really lost the old split screen games. Same game co-op is slowly dying out and it's actually kind of sad in a way. When Calli and I first started going out we played a lot of games together, and now fewer and fewer really give us the option to do that.

But anyway, UPDATE!

Episode 3 - Luigi

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Which I do understand. It was really amazing to get to play games with friends that either moved away or I didn't get to see very often. I just feel that perhaps we could have both local and online a lot more than we do right now. The last game I can remember buying with local multiplayer is Halo collection, and that was quite a while ago.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

That is true. Once I reached high school and hanging out with friends got harder, playing online became a lot more practical. As long as party games and stuff of the like exist we won't see a complete loss of it. I just remember it seeming like 90% of games back in the 90's to early 2000's always had at least some sort of multiplayer mode. Even games that were mostly single player. Like Donkey Kong 64 and Conker's Bad Fur Day. Again, that's Nintendo though. And perhaps I'm a little biased as I didn't have a Playstation until a third or so into it's life cycle.

Sillyman posted:

In case you somehow didn't notice, the Mushroom Challenges aren't random. They happen every three turns. Since they give 3 turns, this means you can go forever. Unfortunately, since you start with 5, it also means that unless you land on (and win) a Minigame space or get a super challenge, if you fail a single challenge it's over (rolling again because of a green die space doesn't count as taking a turn towards the next challenge).

Calli knew that, and I did notice it. It brings out an interesting way to plan your moves. Unless you're like me and completely lose track of how many turns you took after jumping into a quest.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The downside to that is that when you come over to America, it is a lot harder to get the spot pass. If I go to my local mall, I might get lucky and get a single street pass. So when games that rely heavily on it come here, it makes it very hard to play. Now I imagine it wouldn't be that way in big cities like New York and Toronto. But my small city certainly doesn't have enough to make it worth taking my 3DS out.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

That's pretty lucky. Part of me wishes we lived in a bigger city just for that. But it is what it is.

Hey! An Update!

Episode 4 - Luigi

We're still a long way off from completing this one. But we're thinking afterwards we might do all the main game Mario Party games. Just because this isn't causing enough conflict obviously.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Update!
Episode 5 - Bonus 1

We've made it pretty far already, and now it's time to check out some of the things we've been collecting. As I said, the gadgets are glorified apps. But they are charming none the less.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

That would make a lot of sense. Perhaps there was some sort of context we were missing for it. When playing them all in a row like that you certainly forget that some of them aren't meant to be played by yourself.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We're now moving on in the main game. Things get a little chilly.

Episode 6 - Mario

I have to say I really love Bowser in this game. He has an amazing personality and may very well be the best of the best.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Time to break out the final playable character. This is also when we start making some actual progress on our quests. Making progress makes the game even more fun!

Episode 7 - Peach

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It definitely wouldn't if it was a full game. But the multiplayer gadgets aren't so bad. We can have a little fun with them for a minute or so. The game clearly wasn't meant to be a multi-player experience.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

And now we reach our greatest challenge thus far! I make it sound interesting but it's card games. A card game is what stumped us. In all of this a children's card game did us in. Almost.

Episode 8 - Peach

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Did you know this was going to become a stealth game? Cause I didn't. All Peach needs is a cardboard box and she'll be a regular solid snake.

Episode 9 - Peach

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Those are some fighting words right there. Unfortunately I am allergic to cats so we have no cat children.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

You are completely correct I have no idea what you're talking about.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We did a long session there with Peach, so now it's time to check out what we've been doing all of this for! Namely, more gadgets. These ones are admittedly much more fun than the previous batch.

Episode 10 - Bonus 2

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Okay. Bonus is now done, it's time to continue this game. Peach is still in the reigns as it seems she may be the best at Mario Partying. This time we also come face to face with a lot of power rangers. Well, one in particular. How fitting considering the Power Rangers 2017 trailer came out not too long ago.

Episode 11 - Peach

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

They truly were in it for the long game. No one saw it coming. A plan beginning all the way back in 2005, teased 9 years before they finally came out.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I stand by everything is say to the thwomp. Honestly, some of these missions are kind of strange. I love the idea that this is a giant city and there's landmarks and stuff, but some of the things these characters do is just strange. And there are no repercussions to anything they do. I.E. Blooper pulling people into oceans.

Episode 12 - Mario

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

So. I noticed the path right away. I thought Calli did. When Calli didn't follow the path, I thought maybe there was a short cut she knew and that when she failed it was just from having trouble with the water controls. So I didn't call her out. Having her read this comment and rewatching the video, she just now can see the path. She says she couldn't see it on the dimmed screen of the gamepad. So she learned something new tonight! We play the game later and I try my hand at it and do follow the path.

get that OUT of my face posted:

Well that was a love-filled episode.

It really was. Love! Love for everyone!

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Here we see exactly why no one does anything when Bowser runs rampant. It turns out, there is zero consequence to any action. I suppose aside from a 25 year old Italian plumber jumping on your head.

Episode 13 - Mario

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Rochambeau is generally considered as you described it. However, it is also another name for rock-paper-scissors. It's mostly used in other cultures aside from North America, and I believe specifically it's what Japan calls it, but they usually add in the 'don't look where the winner points' at the end.
I don't know what Mooninite is.
If divorce happens, it would most likely happen at MP4. As that is Calli's favourite, and if I win most of the games there I'm sure it won't go well. Same can be said though if she wins a lot of MP and MP2.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Sorry for the delay in this. Life happened really hard for a while there. Thankfully, we're back on track with this game, and we're starting the countdown to the final video!

Episode 14 - Mario

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

And here we have the moment that could be called one of the funniest, and biggest dick moves in the game. To this day, it still hurts my soul. You'll know it when it happens.

Episode 15 - Mario

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

That may very well still be my favourite Simpsons scene. Though, they do have many.

Bruceski posted:

You didn't accidentally load state did you? I don't think my heart could take that.

If you're referring to loading state in an emulator, we can't. It's on the Wii u's virtual console. We did actually buy another copy of this to LP. If it's about something we said in one of the videos then I'm sorry, I don't know what it is. These next few videos have been Queue'd for quite a while actually.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Oh no. We have only brought up the Wii U menu by accident a few times. As I don't think we've saved a state, I don't know what would happen if we hit to load it. The dick move I refer to is where we get to pick between 2 monsters. And the obvious choice could end a run for you.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It was a good guess though. Because I know it would fall on me to load a state after making a ton of progress and losing absolutely everything. Which is why I make a point to not save states when emulating games. We'll see how long that lasts during my future endeavors. We're both just super stoked that people are watching this.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I'll vote for Poochy as best Mario character. And the game is almost done, but they do have a chance to bring him in.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

As we nearly complete our Quests, we get thrown and even BIGGER DICK MOVE. I'm starting to think this game doesn't want us to finish it. That said. We have no finished recording the game. So we'll have a straight shot through to the end.

Episode 16 - Mario

Warmal fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 7, 2017

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I would imagine it not being so bad if you still have quests all over the board. It really kicked us though since we only had the one area. If we needed to go to the green part of the board it wouldn't have been as big of a dick move as it was.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We'll see if we can handle it in the last little bit here.

As for our Teddy. Here is his picture from Halloween 2015

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

The worst part? The frequency of Koopa Kid popping up heavily increases as you start getting more Gaddgets. Shroom City is practically unreplayable if you feel like going through that again after unlocking everything.

It could also be complete coincidence. But it seems like Koopa Kid pops up just when you get where you're needing to go. But we'll get to that in tomorrows update.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Speaking of tomorrow. It is now that day. Surely we are on a roll that will in no way be stopped by a sport of some sort. Or an explosion or 10.

Episode 17 - Mario

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Joke is that customer takes portable phone outside, and is blamed for it breaking. Is not very good joke.

I think the main problem is even with the explanation. I don't see it as a joke. It's not even a non joke. Which I guess is why it's a part of the game. It's there to trip you up so you don't know when to laugh at the right time. But I'm not sure if that's actually a fair mechanic.

And Volleybomb seems to be completely random. Sometimes Usually it's impossible, but other times it's completely easy. I wish we had actually come and done this one sooner so it didn't feel like we got booted out right at the end.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

You ready to kick that minigames butt? Because we sure were. And this truly marks the last recording session.

Episode 18 - Luigi

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

My final conclusion to Volleybomb is that it's completely random. It doesn't seem to be based on time, nor on the number of hits. Unless a smash counts as two and lobs count as one. But if that's the case it would take some extensive research to really figure out the mechanics. What it really boiled down to was the computer AI changing once it was no longer Peach. Perhaps each character has a different difficulty, and the fact that Peach was the only one we got in the previous recording session was just bad luck on our part.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It's nice that each character has a different program to them. That way the experience won't be the exact same. But at the same time holy cow did we start losing hope over it.

On a side note. Who's ready to finish this up? Only 2 updates left and they'll both be coming this upcoming week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I can't remember if Mario Party 1 did. I know for sure that Mario Party 2 did that. IT's a really nice touch that was completely unnecessary. But really. The original Mario Party games had a lot of pride in the details. Which I'll be bringing up in the All Mario Party thread since I don't think I touched upon it enough in the recordings so far.

• Locked thread