Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

oldskool posted:

:stare: How did anyone think that was a good design decision?

The worst part? The frequency of Koopa Kid popping up heavily increases as you start getting more Gaddgets. Shroom City is practically unreplayable if you feel like going through that again after unlocking everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I actually don't remember that mini game being that hard to beat the AI at. Switching between lobbing and spiking was usually enough to mess them up. Now against actual people, that mini game is pretty much a crapshoot on who wins since countering is fairly easy.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Warmal posted:

My final conclusion to Volleybomb is that it's completely random. It doesn't seem to be based on time, nor on the number of hits. Unless a smash counts as two and lobs count as one. But if that's the case it would take some extensive research to really figure out the mechanics. What it really boiled down to was the computer AI changing once it was no longer Peach. Perhaps each character has a different difficulty, and the fact that Peach was the only one we got in the previous recording session was just bad luck on our part.

Yeah, the AI is actually dependent on the character you face. Peach's behavior is calm until she gets down to 1 life, at which point she gets a lot more frantic.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, I don't think the later Mario Party games do this, but the N64 games differentiated each character's AI and gave them different tendencies, such as which items they liked to go for. So there was a precedence for it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Warmal posted:

Also. Did anyone think we were a little too happy during this for a Mario Party? I mean. That's just not what Mario Party is about. As I mentioned a few times, we are going to LP ALL THE MARIO PARTIES. At least 1-10. Unless the DS and 3DS games go onto the virtual Console as well. I'll be leaving this thread open for a week from Friday so everyone can get their final thoughts in. And after that the Mario Party Thread will be open.

Well part of the reason Mario Party can be rage inducing is because of the sheer amount of luck involved. Mario Party Advance doesn't have a lot of that. The only real luck based portion is navigating Shroom City, and you kind of have a ton of room to do things there. None of the mini-games are luck based because that would make for a terrible single player experience. Mario Party Advance is pretty much an entirely different title from the other games, so I didn't think that was unusual.

• Locked thread