Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, multiplayer on handheld systems and home consoles for that matter was a crapshoot until the implementation of connecting the system to the internet and online mode unless you were in a situation where multiple people could play together.

And keep in mind, internet connectivity was in development Hell for years if not decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

IAmTheRad posted:

Sure didn't help that Nintendo was a generation backwards for internet connectivity.

Needing friend codes to play anything? A different friend code for the system AND the game? When they switched to Nintendo ID they finally were on the same level as the other developers. Don't need to trade codes to play with a friend, just play with your friend who is registered as a friend for your account.

That being said, Mario Party Advance has been the only Mario Party game I have enjoyed playing alone. The rest are too boring to play solo.

To be fair, Nintendo was arguably the biggest proponent of local multiplayer anyway and as mentioned before it took until Sixth-generation consoles namely the original Xbox for it to really take off and that was really in response to Sega's failed attempt to capitalize on the ever-growing online gaming scene with the Dreamcast and SegaNet in 1999 which itself was based on earlier failures such as Sega Meganet, Sega Channel, and Sega NetLink.

Like I said, this innovation took a long time to actually implement successfully and it wasn't like Nintendo didn't try to do so themselves with their own failed attempts of the Famicom Net System and Satellaview.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
As I said before, the reason that online multiplayer became so successful was because unless you had friends living in the same neighborhood/building as you, same game multiplayer is simply not viable outside of special events such as conventions.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Warmal posted:

Which I do understand. It was really amazing to get to play games with friends that either moved away or I didn't get to see very often. I just feel that perhaps we could have both local and online a lot more than we do right now. The last game I can remember buying with local multiplayer is Halo collection, and that was quite a while ago.

I don't think local multiplayer will ever die off completely despite its impracticality in the US as I imagine that it's more practical in countries with a higher population density like Japan which is why Nintendo was and still is a huge proponent of it. I believe fighting, party, and racing games still have local multiplayer since I know for a fact that Smash Bros.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I don't think the Nintendo's handhelds will ever lose local multiplayer completely either since one of their key demographics is Japan which as mentioned before has a higher population density than the United States making stuff like Spotpass much more viable there than it is here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I can a few passes on a good day when I take it with me to go out and about so I try to it take with me at least once a day whenever possible.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 7, 2016

• Locked thread