Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

HoneyBoy posted:

Tell me what the iconic tee is

put it behind spoiler tags

Professor Oak's face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I know that BST and ability changes have been shared, but is there any comprehensive stuff re: move list changes? I want to know if Scyther has anything new in his arsenal since he's in the Alola dex.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Avalerion posted:

Which of the pokemon that got alolan forms has competitive use? :confused:

Kanto Dugtrio is OU

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Professor Oak's face

That's.... stupid as hell lmao

I can't wait

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Fetus posted:

So if a Pokemon has an Alolan form, having them breed in Alola, even if they aren't Alolan themselves, will always result in the baby being Alolan. :cripes: Really, Gamefreak?

They have the same catch rate as most legendaries, 3. Basically you need a lot of luck.

i mean, at least it'll make sure my Exeggutor's egg children will be Alolan. Not sure bout my other party members, but lol if they gave the gen 1 starters alolan forms

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

spit on my clit posted:

lol if they gave the gen 1 starters alolan forms

They didn't, these are all of them:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Professor Oak's face

Excellent.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

less laughter posted:

They didn't, these are all of them:

huh. well rest in peace dreams of alolan porygon

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Avalerion posted:

Which of the pokemon that got alolan forms has competitive use? :confused:

Dugtrio, kiiiiiiiiinda Ninetales.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Supremezero posted:

In Gen V, it was seen very often, but once Mega Charizard Y came along, there was no reason to use it anymore.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Alolan Raichu hits like a mack truck when you first encounter it.

The new battle styles are learned from fighting notable trial based NPC's after you've done with their part of the story, beating the elite 4, clearing the fatal four way table and getting a 50 streak in the Battle Frontier thing.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Supremezero posted:

I dont know about it's stats, but Alolan Muk has the typing and moves to be a decent wall.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

lezard_valeth posted:

I dont know about it's stats, but Alolan Muk has the typing and moves to be a decent wall.

It's got the exact same stats as Kanto Muk.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Blaine the Train posted:

It's got the exact same stats as Kanto Muk.

Really? Wow...that's lazy haha. Still just the change in it's typing is a huge improvement, since it only makes him weak to Ground, and Muk has a decent Hp and Defense bulk to allow him to take an Earthquake.

edit: Holy poo poo, it's HA! Give an Air Ballon, team it up with a Shedinja, Shadow Sneak it and OMG

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 12, 2016

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

lezard_valeth posted:

Really? Wow...that's lazy haha. Still just the change in it's typing is a huge improvement, since it only makes him weak to Ground, and Muk has a decent Hp and Defense bulk to allow him to take an Earthquake.

edit: Holy poo poo, it's HA! Give an Air Ballon, team it up with a Shedinja and OMG

Pretty much all alolan pokemon have the same stats as the original version. Even the ones that got buffed, the original version also got the buff.

Edit: Passimian can't get Wonder Guard, no reason to think Alolan Muk can.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Supremezero posted:

Ninetales will probably be a hail team staple as a backup Snow Warning setter and speedy caster of that Aurora buff.

Too bad hail is probably still gonna be garbage :smith:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Supremezero posted:

Edit: Passimian can't get Wonder Guard, no reason to think Alolan Muk can.

Oh that's a shame haha. I'm surprised they foresaw that

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

lezard_valeth posted:

Holy poo poo, its HA! Give an Air Balloon, team it up with a Shedinja and OMG

Alola Muk's HA is a reskin of Passimian's ability and that has already been confirmed not to work on Shedinja.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Avalerion posted:

On the other hand, fps really shouldn't matter in a turn based handheld rpg. At least going by the demo (on a regular 3ds xl) while the slowdown was sometimes noticeable it had no effect on gameplay.

People's 3DSes were reported to be overheating during double battles. There's a point where performance issues becomes unacceptable, no matter what the genre is.

Also from what I'm hearing, there's no post-game in Sun and Moon, so prepare to be disappointed on that front.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dr. Fetus posted:

People's 3DSes were reported to be overheating during double battles. There's a point where this becomes unacceptable, no matter what the genre is.

Also from what I'm hearing, there's no post-game in Sun and Moon, so prepare to be disappointed on that front.

Except the post game Looker story.
And the battle tree.
And the worm hole to enter to get the other versions exclusive.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Actually, wait.

So we know how we get hidden abilities.

But do we not have anything for getting hidden abilities for pokemon that aren't normally in the wild? Like starters and such?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

less laughter posted:

Alola Muk's HA is a reskin of Passimian's ability and that has already been confirmed not to work on Shedinja.

Oh well. Still Assault Vest Acid Armor Muk can probably be a threat if left unattended when paired with Multiscale, Pure/Huge Power, Speed Boost, and so on.

I'm just happy my Poison boys Muk and Beedrill got a buff :)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

So if a Pokemon has an Alolan form, having them breed in Alola, even if they aren't Alolan themselves, will always result in the baby being Alolan. :cripes: Really, Gamefreak?

whaaaaat

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

lezard_valeth posted:

Oh well. Still Assault Vest Acid Armor Muk can probably be a threat if left unattended when paired with Multiscale, Pure/Huge Power, Speed Boost, and so on.

I'm just happy my Poison boys Muk and Beedrill got a buff :)

Uh, how exactly do you intend to use Acid Armor on Assault Vest Muk.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Supremezero posted:

Actually, wait.

So we know how we get hidden abilities.

But do we not have anything for getting hidden abilities for pokemon that aren't normally in the wild? Like starters and such?

You probably can't right now.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Supremezero posted:

Uh, how exactly do you intend to use Acid Armor on Assault Vest Muk.

Dammit I'm not thinking properly this morning :(

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

It's really not a big deal. The only Kanto form out of all 10 that has any use is Dugtrio anyway, and you can just trade that over from XY or ORAS.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And the battle tree.

Huh, so basically the same as XY's post-game then? Not sure how that first one really plays out.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

People's 3DSes were reported to be overheating during double battles. There's a point where performance issues becomes unacceptable, no matter what the genre is.

People didn't bother with it so they stopped putting it in.

extra row of teeth posted:

Ninetales will probably be a hail team staple as a backup Snow Warning setter and speedy caster of that Aurora buff.

Too bad hail is probably still gonna be garbage :smith:

Maybe if Ice got any kind of change in resistances to be a better type, say resisting water but it's not allowed to be competitive (along with poison, a type which should definitely be super effective to water but is not).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
dang i want to use an Oranguru and, while i have a pretty low standard for usable movepools in campaign, that thing's level up movepool is abysmal for campaign stuff. dang

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Countblanc posted:

dang i want to use an Oranguru and, while i have a pretty low standard for usable movepools in campaign, that thing's level up movepool is abysmal for campaign stuff. dang

TMs to the rescue! It can learn:

TM01 - Work Up
TM03 - Psyshock
TM04 - Calm Mind
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM12 - Taunt
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM24 - Thunderbolt
TM25 - Thunder
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM29 - Psychic
TM30 - Shadow Ball
TM31 - Brick Break
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM48 - Round
TM52 - Focus Blast
TM53 - Energy Ball
TM56 - Fling
TM57 - Charge Beam
TM59 - Brutal Swing
TM60 - Quash
TM63 - Embargo
TM66 - Payback
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM77 - Psych Up
TM78 - Bulldoze
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM85 - Dream Eater
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM92 - Trick Room
TM96 - Nature Power
TM100 - Confide

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Countblanc posted:

i used sludge bomb mawile in an emerald playthrough. i believe in you

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And the battle tree.

That last part is false last I heard from testing. You can't obtain version exclusives that way, but it does allow you an easy shift between day and night for getting evolutions on your own time regardless of version.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
did they improve snivy's tm list

this is important

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

did they improve snivy's tm list

this is important

How do you improve on +2 to special attack Overheats, Dragon Pulse, and amazing support coverage

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So wait, how does this "There is no National Dex" thing even work? Like, say it's next January and I bank some guys over that aren't found in Alola by any means. Is there really nothing in-game that tracks that I've caught it? And nowhere I can go to get flavor text about it?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Bongo Bill posted:

So wait, how does this "There is no National Dex" thing even work? Like, say it's next January and I bank some guys over that aren't found in Alola by any means. Is there really nothing in-game that tracks that I've caught it? And nowhere I can go to get flavor text about it?

The National Dex will likely come bundled with the Bank update in January.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Okay, so all Pokemon born in the Alola region will be Alola variants. And presumably the ones that aren't variants (Pikachu, Cubone, Exeggcute) will evolve into their Alola variants if born in the Alola region.

But do non-variant base forms (those three) from other regions evolve into Alola variant forms if evolved in the Alola region? Or will your Kanto/Hoenn/whatever Pikachu evolve into regular Raichu?

if that phrasing is confusing: I import a Pikachu from X/Y, OR/AS, or R/B/Y into Sun/Moon. I use a Thunder Stone on this Pikachu. What does it evolve into?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

It'll be in the bank. You can't access it in game.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Okay, so all Pokemon born in the Alola region will be Alola variants. And presumably the ones that aren't variants (Pikachu, Cubone, Exeggcute) will evolve into their Alola variants if born in the Alola region.

But do non-variant base forms (those three) from other regions evolve into Alola variant forms if evolved in the Alola region? Or will your Kanto/Hoenn/whatever Pikachu evolve into regular Raichu?

Pokemon imported from places other than Alola will not evolve into their Alola forms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TheKingofSprings posted:

How do you improve on +2 to special attack Overheats, Dragon Pulse, and amazing support coverage

well first you'd have to add overheat and dragon pulse to snivy's possible learnset idk