Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

And thanks to the wonders of modern technology, your first friend gifted to you by a kind professor can, in fact, be Landoorus-T. :v:

TBH, I kind of burned out on trying to breed perfect specimens for online-competitive teams back in X&Y but I'd still like a 'project' so I thought I'd try for a living Pokedex this time. What are the odds of Diancie & Volcannion getting redistributed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hail teams are making a comeback this gen, you'll see! *sobs quietly into Walrein's mane*

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Flagrant Abuse posted:

The real all-star team:

Apparently I like bug, flying, and bug/flying, with a minor in ghost.
You I like.

Shneak posted:

So we got a literal monster made of sand that doesn't have sand stream but instead an ability that will not help it against a Shellder's weak physical water attack.

Hmm :crossarms:
Does it not? I'd have to watch the video again, but it looked like it's flat-out immune to Water attacks. Same way Lightning Rod works, basically.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Oh well. I was more interested in Minior anyway.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Clearly the only solution is to list your top 6 from all 17 types, plus your six favorite Megas.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Been trying real hard to avoid spoilers for this one, but there is one thing I'm keen to know in advance. How does the pre-National Dex stack up to X/Y? Putting like 400+ Pokemon at your fingertips pre-E4 was the best design decision they made in those games. Corrollary: how many new ones did they include? (Alola forms count since it pretty much turns them into radically different Pokemon.)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Okay if I am going with the seal (I am going with the seal) I must build a team of equally elegant Pokémon to complement it. Suggestions?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

alolan dugtrio of course
poo poo how could I forget that beautiful motherfucker? That's a keeper, I don't even care about typing.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

So, Team Elegant is looking like:
  • Primarina
  • Alolan Dugtrio
  • Alolan Ninetales
  • Lilligant
  • Oricorio (fire version, for coverage and also looking cool)
  • Mega Ampharos
I don't know if all of them are available, let alone Megastones, so there are possible substitutes as well (certain Evee forms, Tsareena, Bruxish, etc.) But does it work as a team? Beating the main game isn't really an issue but if there's something I'm overlooking that'll have me tearing my hair out it would be good to know in advance.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Alright, I know I'm way behind everyone here but I just made it to Route 4 and I'm seeking advice on new teammates since my current crew is starting to feel overleveled. The exceptions are Carmen (Brionne) and Fabio (Diglet) since they're permanent members of Team Elegance. That leaves:
  • K'nex (Magnetite)
  • Tora (Growlithe)
  • Redcap (Trumpbeak)
  • Metallia (Misdreavus)
Any team building advice would be appreciated--particularly anything local, and most especially anything ~*Elegant*~

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

What are the preferred Nature/Abilities for Mareanie? I finally caught one, and it was such a gigantic pain in the rear end that I thought they'd make good trade fodder. I don't have access to Hidden Abilities or checking IVs yet, however.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Just barely passed the Ghost trial by the skin of my teeth. Good God, I only knew mimikyu from the fanart. I didn't expect it to be that fast or that strong. The totem just used Play Rough over and loving over again to 1-shot my team as fast as I could revive them until I ran out of Revives and Pokemon... except for one. A level 28 Chansey from the in-game Happiny trade that I took along just to evolve. By this point, the totem was out of uses for Play Rough, and all its other moves were Ghost-type so it couldn't inflict damage. However, Chansey also lacked a direct attack move. So I spent 10 minutes spamming Copycat in-between turns spent asleep due to Hypnosis, in the hopes that one of the two ghosts would use Night Shade beforehand. It worked. Mimikyu fell with 3 uses of Copycat remaining before the battle would be locked into an unwinnable state for me.

Not my finest hour, but a win is a win. Mimikyu is a fuckin' beast tho'. Ghost type remains best type.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Well, I just caught the cover legendary so I assume I'm in the endgame now. I'm trying very hard not to take an overleveled team to the E4--admittedly with mixed results, since most of my regulars are under the boosted EXP buff from playtime--so what's the average level we're talking about there?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Man I thought Mimikyu was supposed to be the new hotness, but I'm putting up Jolly ones on GTS asking for a drat Mankey for the Pokedex, and no bites to be had. Is it in fact, Mankey that is the new hotness, somehow? (Or Trapinch or Rufflet or any of the other common ones that I thought would be easy to trade for in the name of saving time).

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

boy are my arms tired posted:

ah okay, i don't mess with non-vgc normally so if he shines in uu thats cool, i thought the conversation was about vgc
I mean, if you're playing VGC then you're p. much always going to see the same 6-12 Pokemon ad nasueam. The fact that Turtonator isn't literally one of the top 12 Pokemon out of 350+ in the Alola-dex isn't really a knock against him (although it is a pity since I like the design). TBH my experiences battling online thus far have taught me an appreciation for Smogon's attempts to separate them into tiers, even if I still find the Stealth Rock obsession dumb.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Speaking of Psychic Terrain, how do Bruxish and Tsareena hold up in the new meta? I'm sorta struggling to come up with a moveset for either of them.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

The only place Tsareena belongs is dancing on Dugtrio's grave
Agreed

i use both, come at me

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Yo where are you all getting the template for your E4 teams? I'm climbling the mountain as we speak, so I'll need it sooner or later. (PS: thanks WT guy who sent over a Sensu Oricorio, I was super pissed I wouldn't be able to complete my team theme until the post-game.)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, that raises an interesting point. Are any of the eShop Pokemon games not the horribly buggy messes they used to be? I could see playing through Yellow maybe, but no Pokemon is worth revisiting the original Red & Blue.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

TBH I kinda want an A-Marowak with the Rock Head HA so I can spam recoil-less Flare Blitz with a Thick Club. I just need a Thick Club, and a level 50 A-Marowak with the Rock Head HA. :v:

Is it possible to get HAs via SOS chains?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

JackDarko posted:

Sure, added you my FC is 3067-4597-8138 in game Luis jumping on Plaza now.

Edit: would you like one of my killing machine Miniors as well.
If you're still offering, I'd love one (the Rockhead Marowak, I mean, though I wouldn't turn down a Minior either) but I don't have much to offer in exchange. Jolly Mimikyu, I guess?

FC: 3926-8948-4855
IGN: Rangpur

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Alright, I know Tsareena isn't super popular but I'm breeding them anyway to see if I can remake my original E4-beating team in a properly bred/raised fashion. Does anyone have cast-off breeding spares they'd be willing to part with? I don't care about nature, ability or egg moves--so long as it's male, with decent IVs and in the Grass egg group. I'm specifically going for Adamant Bounsweets with Play Rough and the ability that turns into Queenly Majesty, which you are welcome to once I can get a stable breeding pair.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

No such thing as a male Bounsweet
I know that, s'why I need literally anything male from the Grass-egg group with good IVs. If someone's got a Comfey like that it would be ideal, but I'll take what I can get since I don't have much to offer.

edit: to be clear, I already have Adamant Bounsweets with Play Rough. I need a male from the Grass egg group to patch in the rest of the IVs.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Ice_Mallet posted:

I have a spare Lurantis with 5 perfect IVs and he has a "Very Good!" in Speed.

My FC is 2895 - 9068 - 6799 and my in-game name is Schmidt.
Oh, that would be perfect, thank you!

I'll be on momentarily. I just need to finish hatching these eggs.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...why not just chain up a 4 IV Ditto, then? Maybe two or three to get one with the IV spreads you need, but you know what I mean. :confused:
That's on the agenda too, but I'm making use of Poke Pelago so I can multitask--I'll leave the eggs there while I hunt Dittos and see what I get.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 30, 2016

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

U.T. Raptor posted:

Just use a 6IV Ditto. Egg moves will still get passed on.
Ah yes, those 6 IV Ditto which are so very common. (TBH I still need a Destiny Knot anyway so... But hey, at least I finally got a Razor Claw after chaining Hakamo-O for like 2 hours! :suicide:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

leftist heap posted:

Put up a Castform for trade for a level 91+ Ditto. There you go, a legit 6IV Ditto! :v:
Wait, seriously? That's why I keep seeing requests for level 91+ Dittos? I thought it was just kids who didn't realize asking for max level was a poor idea.

I guess if I need one that badly I can always just burn two bottlecaps on a 4 IV Ditto, but it's all sort of academic until I scare up a Destiny Knot.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

They don't change IVs? That's what I was hearing from everyone else...

edit: they only max IVs for battle. OK, I see now. Better off saving them if I happen to get a Shiny with bad IVs or something.

apokaladle posted:

Side note, I ended up trading for 2 separate Destiny Knots yesterday and bred my first 6IV Pokémon this afternoon (Dratini!), you're welcome to my spare.
Wouldn't turn that down; very kind, thank you. I have an extra Razor Claw if you like. Apparently using Thief doesn't actually remove the item if you catch the 'mon afterwards? Anyway, my FC is 3926-8948-4855 with in-game name Rangpur.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I am, yes. I'll attach it to one of my failed Wimpods (wrong nature, poor IVs, but it has Aquajet).

EDIT: this saves a ton of time. Thanks again!

On a related note, I went through my entire box checking IVs and it turned out I have a pair of amazing male and female Grimers with Curse & Shadow Sneak. What's the preferred nature between Adamant and Careful?

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 31, 2016

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Grubbin, as mentioned. Butterfree would be useful in the early game. There's also Ledyba & Spinarak but it's questionable whether they're ever useful. You can be the first to find out! :v:

(The real answer is probably Pinsir & Masquerain. Mega-Pinsir can be a beast, but you'd need to earn the mega stone at the battle tree, so it's no good until you beat the E4. Post-game also gives you access to Buzzswole and Pheromosa.)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Yet another reason to give thanks for Team Skull. Thanks, Team Skull.

Theamskull.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'm rapidly approaching full dex completion, and the Shiny Charm you get as a reward. When trying to breed a Shiny Pokemon via the Matsuda method, do you have to be the OT of one of the parents, or does it work with any two Pokemon from different language groups regardless of origin?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

They were a pain during the main game, but afterwards? I really appreciate how they made getting IVs and hidden abilities easier to control.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Is Tapu Lele the one everyone is losing their poo poo over in competitive battling? Because I have the 'best' one: Modest nature, perfect IVs across the board, with the exception of Sp.Atk. Which is zero. Well trolled, GameFreak. Well. Trolled. :golfclap:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Does Psychic Terrain boost the power of Psychic attacks? I would swear the exact opposite was true of Terrains in X & Y. Then again, that was years ago now.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Is the Gible male or female? I don't have a spare HA Dratini yet but I could make one for a male Gible with good IVs for breeding stuff. What's your preferred dump stat?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What do you prefer? I have both, they are 4IV. I'd prefer Sp Attack be the dump, but I'll just breed more Dratinis for myself
Male for preference. Give me like an hour or so to make sure I popped out a Dratini with the right spread.

Also, where are you all getting spare Moon balls anyway?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Added you; I'll be on momentarily. Unfortunately the best I could do in this time frame was an Adamant male with Defense as the imperfect stat. Dratini eggs take for-bloody-ever to hatch.

edit: oh right

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 1, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Is there anyone willing to swap their spare Celesteela for one of my spare Kartana? GTS doesn't seem to be giving me any hits (or the trades are being snapped up as soon as they're posted), and I'm just a couple 'mon short of the complete Pokedex.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

mastajake posted:

Have you tried placing yours up instead? I would help but I only have the one, since I'm on Sun as well.
Oh yes, that was the first thing I did. Once I realized you could catch more than one copy of some Ultra Beasts I made a point to snag them all. I mean, if there were a way to put more than one Pokemon up for trade at a time, I'd happily trade 3 Kartana and a Xirkitree for a Celesteela because I don't actually intend to use any of them. I just want the Pokedex (and ultimately, a natural Pokedex once the Bank opens up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

leftist heap posted:

AFAICT nobody wants Kartana at all right now, despite the fact that it's very good. Celesteela seems to be in very high demand. Hell, I can't even get a Zygarde for Kartana, which seems like it should work. I have a good 6 crappy Kartanas right now just wasting in boxes because nobody seems to want them. I haven't tried trading them for Mareanie or Castform yet though.
Well, gently caress it then. Anyone mind just swaping Celesteela for Kartana and back again? I don't need to hold onto it to complete the 'dex at least. I offer Adamant/Careful 5 IV Grimers w. Curse/Shadowsneak for your troubles.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 2, 2017