Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i am excited for pokemon this year and i hope everyone else is too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

what is everyone most excited about? i'm excited about alolan forms of old friends and hyper training making competitive breeding easier

e: i'm also excited for vgc's format to not be bad and dumb again

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zore posted:

Is this

Actually confirmed? It seemed pretty vague when described.

Also Sylveon sucks.

http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/max-out-your-pokemon-with-hyper-training/

quote:

In Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, you can draw forth a Pokémon’s power to its utmost limit with Hyper Training.

Pokémon grow stronger by raising their levels and increasing their base stats. However, their power is still affected by the individual strengths innate to each Pokémon. Now, with Hyper Training, Pokémon that have grown to Lv. 100 will be able to increase their individual strengths, which has never been possible before.

With Hyper Training, you can increase the strength of the Lv. 100 Pokémon you’ve been adventuring with!

they don't literally use the words 'Individual Values' but what else could this be referring to

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i judge harshly anyone who doesn't bring their first friend gifted to them by a kind professor with them on their entire journey

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the world championships stream just showed me how to pronounce 'yvetal' and it's hosed up

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

evil tall

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm pretty sure lightning rod and flash fire and the like straight up skip the attack's animation when they're triggered, that didn't happen when shelder hit the sandcastle

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zore posted:

And ORAS removed Sableye/Mawile/Nosepass/Aron by blocking off the lower areas of Granite cave when you could immediately go down in the originals. Its real dumb!

now i'm glad i never bought oras

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

They brought on a new character designer during development of black and white and that new artist designed every character in BW1 and all the subsequent games except for the BW1 player characters (can't remember the names but started with H). You can tell because everyone has a wider variety of facial expressions and tighter pants than they did before.

hilda and hilbert

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zore posted:

There are some Dark Types that aren't assholes!

Absol, Greninja, Pangoro, Umbreon, Shiftry and Sableye aren't at least.

The rest, yeah, you have a point.

protean definitely makes greninja an rear end in a top hat

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dexie posted:

*sits down*

Okay, I think I'm going to need this one explained to me.

Alomomola is an interesting option for stall teams that need a Wish passer. Unlike most Wish passers in Ubers, Alomomola checks physical attackers, such as Ho-Oh and Extreme Killer Arceus, instead of special attackers. It also has a pretty good defensive typing, as Electric- and Grass-type attacks are uncommon in Ubers. Unfortunately, Alomomola has zero offensive presence, meaning it's setup bait for almost anything carrying Taunt, Substitute, or Refresh. This means it can only fit on stall teams that can provide cleric support and don't mind Alomomola's lack of offensive presence. Alomomola also cannot take special attacks well at all, meaning it is forced out against mixed attackers.

With a monstrous base 165 HP stat, Alomomola is capable of restoring most of its teammates to full health, even in a tier where many Pokemon have large HP stats. Huge Wishes are extremely beneficial for Pokemon without reliable recovery, such as Ferrothorn and Primal Groudon. Protect allows Alomomola to safely receive its own Wishes and scout for Choice-locked moves. Toxic cripples threats Alomomola is supposed to check, such as Rock Polish Primal Groudon; Alomomola can then attempt to stall them out. Toxic also cripples overeager special attackers that switch in to prey on Alomomola's terrible Special Defense stat. Alomomola has two quality options for its last slot. It can opt to run Knock Off, which can 2HKO Mega Gengar and cripple opposing walls such as Ferrothorn, or can attempt to burn the foe with Scald. Knock Off is generally preferred, as it offers further team support by removing potentially dangerous items such as Life Orb.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

lezard_valeth posted:

I don't know if this was mentioned when the hyper training anouncement was made

But competitive No Guard Fissure Machamp is now almost definitely meta

Watch as Battlespot becomes pure cancer :getin:

does battle spot not usually have that rule about the pokemon having to be caught or bred in the current gen

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Calaveron posted:

So like what's the metaphysical difference between a ghost-type pokemon and an actual ghost

the ghost of your dead grandma won't go in a pokeball no matter how hard you try

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

tropius and skymin cough nervously

rowlet hoots softly

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Calaveron posted:

They absolutely were working on Pokemon Z right? What was the reason they shelved it?

kalos was so boring they couldn't think up enough good ideas to justify a third game

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it turns out the real dead mom is the friends we made along the way

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

GlitchThief posted:

It sounds like VGC uses a restrictive format that all-but requires cheating to compete in.

uh no not really

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

GlitchThief posted:

Well I guess you could put in all the time to be competitive with a bunch of other people who cheat.

the only difference between a legit pokemon that was bred or resetted for a billion times to get and a hacked but still vgc legal pokemon is how much time it took to get

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

Also you should nickname your monsters in the fashion of race horses. Game Freak should add characters to accommodate this

gonna start naming my showdown pokemon off of whatever comes up when i hit 'random article' on wikipedia

Orange (2010 film) the scrafty, Henry Cornewall the nidoking and so on

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

HoneyBoy posted:

That's more to do with VGC being loving retarded though, but I see your point.

uhh how's that?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

HoneyBoy posted:

It's brought up often enough, those team comps that are almost always Groudon/Xerneas/etc.

Who has competition viable cover legendaries usually? People who generate them, I mean yeah you get 3 max IVs normally but if it's a tweak like mentioned before idk if people are gonne be SRing every time they need to change something.

Basically box legendaries are trash and only children use them.

oh okay if you specifically meant vgc '16 then yeah that poo poo is dumb

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zore posted:

imagine doubles with vgc 2016 rules

it was a terrible ruleset for any format, singles would not have made it worse

it would have made it worse by virtue of being singles and not doubles

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

Isn't allowing legendaries admitting you're allowing hacked mons in your event?

no you admit that by saying 'we're allowing hack mons at our event'

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CanUSayGym posted:

Let's just say that I am coming back to Pokemon from I don't know, Red and Blue, dabbled in Silver. Is there a non-encyclopedia form of information from all the new stuff or do I just need to scour Serebii and bulbapedia? Like holy poo poo there's like 40 different balls, so many new pokemon, items to be held, certain pokemon only evolve holding certain things at certain times; all of which throw me cause I enjoyed trying to fill the pokedex on the old games but theres 600+ more of them to catch. I'm looking for a laymans guide to all the new balls, items, and evolutions. I have read that an easy way to catch a lot of pokemon are either quick balls right away or a pokemon with False Swipe. I picked up X a while back but real life took over so I'm finally trying to out and quickly overloaded with all the new info.

honestly your best bet is to just not stress about it and play X and slowly absorb new info as it crops up

remember that this is a series for 7 year olds so by no means do you need to know all this poo poo just to have fun

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

also talk to all the npcs in town, every pokemon is game is someone's first so those rando unimportant npcs will dripfeed you info that's not immediately obvious, especially in the early parts of the game

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Diet Poison posted:

This would be a cool way to do the Safari Zone. Like Snap but with "throw Pokeball" as an option.

if you have a smartphone boy do i have some good news for you

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Diet Poison posted:

Come again? I know you're not suggesting that Pokemon Go is anything like being able to play Snap and be able to catch and raise something you see there, because then you'd need to be committed.

you can catch and raise and take pictures of pokemon in pokemon go, friend

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Except near the end of the series where only 2 of the 6 kids could help in battle at all, but that's a problem the show shares with Adventure and 02.

that was like half of the show

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Weren't all the kids in every series overshadowed by the designated protagonist being the one that does the most important poo poo?

season 4 was the worst with it though; instead of having one bonus form over the others the main two dudes got three more forms two of which required them to absorb the powers of the other kids

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

is Yokai Watch pretty good

i never played the games but i watched a few episodes while babysitting a cousin and it was p. funny, one of those dubs that felt like they changed alot of the humor to make more sense to western audiences

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm glad pokemon is going to teach a generation of kids that the poor who are pushed into a life of crime by a society that rejects them aren't the true evil, late capitalism is

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

pokemon SM? more like pokemon LF

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rudoku posted:

Thank you. I couldn't fit it into a post organically. That's what my Type:Null will be named.

the stupid wheel around its neck means it really should be named Type:Technic

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Maybe Ubone isn't the girl. Maybe its just her hat.

A ghostly jellyfish hat.

'the girl' has a name you know

it's UB-0

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

this guy is going to be the one good aether guy and the glasses girl people like is going to be super evil

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

only an absolute dipshit would see a character in a tropical setting with a tropical shirt and go 'hey wait i don't understand what happened to his skin'

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

clearly Aether is who you side with on the Law path and Team Skull on the chaos

i'm down for this because it makes lillie the obligatory lucifer in disguise

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

oddium posted:

who's the girl with all the butterflies

it's oddium~

thanks pentaro !!

dang, nice

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

Yeah but if they split what pokemon are available depending on the time of day I really don't want to be popping in and out switching the clock each route.

that's where trading comes in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

But I want my own precious pokemon not some garbage other person's gunk named Fartzilla or something.

that's where trading with your friends and going 'hey that's the precious pokemon my friend i appreciate traded to me' comes in