Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Geokinesis posted:

Another problem with oras is first area you run into wingulls and zigzagoons and few others. Later areas you just run into their evolved forms.

It would have been much better to have all the hidden pokemon that appear after groundon/kyogre are capture as normal encounters up to that point and add even more as hidden pokemon after k/g.

Or just mix up the encounters a little bit!

Linoone can be in the game without being on almost every loving route! You can also put pokemon like Corphish on land in some areas, or at least make things besides Tentacool/Magikarp catchable with the old rod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr. Fetus posted:

BW's Victory Road does not have a mandatory Surf section.

Yeah, I was confusing it with the X/Y victory road.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I've still never found a legit shiny. All mine are through the absurd amount of wondertrading I do and a good 2/3rds of them are almost definitely hacked.

:(

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dunban posted:

Exciting new Sun & Moon gameplay footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jgZhBxhyQA

It is so weird to see normally proportioned people on the overworld.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Really its mostly Gen 1/2 pokemon that have insanely lovely shiny sprites. Every other one is lime green or a shade darker (look up Pikachu's for the most :effort: thing)

Later gens are not immune by any means though. Shiny Garchomp for instance.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Good Shiny Sprites

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

sharrrk posted:

nice alolan ninetales

Will shiny Alolan Ninetales be yellow?

That would be a fun way to play mindgames with people since their models are probably the closest of the Alolan/Normal forms.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zoness posted:

have you ever used a ghost type arceus named arceus-dark

i feel like using arceus is sacrilegious tbh.

also I've never played Ubers and try to use as few legendaries as I can get away with. I've played OU for 3 gens and only ever used Zapdos, Terrakion and Mew.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

oddium posted:

i have no hesitations using my good friend thundurus. very strong, and very tricky

thudurus is an abomination.

really that goes for all the genies. dumb pallet swap idiots, the lot of them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zuzie posted:

I do wonder how the species clause that most battling formats follow will deal with Alolan forms, as they're so different from the regular forms that they function like different Pokémon. Would you be able to use an Alolan Ninetales alongside its regular counterpart in an official match?

How does it currently work for Wormadam? I'm pretty sure it only lets you use 1. Thats probably the closest to Alolan forms we have as 1 pokedex entry but three forms with different stats/movepools and typing that can't transform.

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 22, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Disargeria posted:

You can't use a male and female meowstic together and it upsets me.

You can't use both Basculins either despite having completely different abilities.

Pokemon is weird and arbitrary with all the form stuff.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

Dear Gamefreak,

Please make UnownLedian actually usable, because UnownLedian is cool as heck and it makes me sad that it's basically only nominally a pokemon.

Thanks,
The Lord of Hats

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zoness posted:

screw ledian, give ARIADOS some (more) love

Ariados is bad too, but Ariados actually has something resembling a movepool and attack stats. It is bad, but totally usable in game.

Ledian is not.

To put in perspective, Ledian's Special Attack is lower than Ariados'. And Ariados has a lovely Special Attack.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ka0 posted:

Also, would using repeat balls offer a higher catch percentage than an ultra.

Yeah, if the pokemon is in your dex its 1.5X as good as an ultra ball.

If not it has the same catch rate as pokeballs.

Best pokeballs:

Quickball- 4X catch rate on first turn
Timer Ball- 4X catch rate after 12 turns
Dusk Ball- 3.5X catch rate at night or if in a cave/building
Net/Repeat/Dive- 3x
Ultra- 2.5X
Great- 1.5x
Poke/Luxury/Heal-1x

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 22, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Even Heracross has finally been overtaken as Bug/Fighting King by Pinsir, the rightful lord. He's not even fighting type and does Close Combat better than Heracross.

no.

Also there are many several great Gen II pokemon;

Murkrow
Tyranitar
Donphan
Skarmory
Espeon
Heracross
Forrettress
Scizor
Bellossum
Ampharos
Xatu
Crobat
Houndoom
Lantern

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 22, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Okay here's an addendum to my statement: GEN 2 has no good pokemon, but it has a few mediocre one's that were saved either with Gen 3's mechanical changes or Gen 4 giving them evolutions that weren't poo poo.

Scizor, Tyranitar, Skarmory, Blissey say lol.

Murkrow/Donphan/Crobat/Forretress/Celebi/Suicune have also had several stints of being good even if power creep has out-paced most of them now.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Scizor is a poo poo design, Tyranitar is an awful x4 Weak to fighting waste of a slot and the worst Pseudo-Legendary Design easily. Skarmory is a poo poo bird with 1 set that's been out done over and over by now and Blissey's one entire claim to fame is being so lovely it makes Chansey better by design and mechanically.

Gen 2 is the generation of pokemon that were too lovely to make the cut into the first games but hey, we've got most of them done already so we might as well slap them in anyway.

They're pokemon that lost out to such inspired designs as Voltorb, Diglet, and Seel.

You're really flip flopping on if you're talking about mechanics or design.

Mechanically, Tyranitar and Scizor are absolute monsters.

Designwise, you can just get out of this thread if you don't think Murkrow, Skarmory, Houndoom, Heracross, Crobat and Bellosum are rad as gently caress.

:colbert:

It is the weakest gen overall, but it has some really good pokemon still.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zoness posted:

or a whatever the gently caress avalugg is supposed to be

:fuckoff:

Avalugg is good. Also its an iceberg aircraft carrier that carries tiny Bergmite on its back

Also the Ice Cream pokes are good, though not great.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zoness posted:

I guess I can't see it because avalugg is both mechanically worthless and it looks like something cubchoo left on the ground. But at least it's not ice cream.

Look I just want more cool ice types like mamoswine. That thing is a beast.

also walrein.

Avalugg really isn't mechanically worthless. It has some intense physical bulk and hits like a freight train, plus it has sturdy and recover.

What ice really needs is better physical attacks and way more resistances.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

alcharagia posted:

Cute! Cool! Rockin! Squishy! A true champion of disadvantaged Pokemon and a good parent to its many children! Magcargo is deeply epic and great and it's hosed up they haven't made him good somehow yet!!

You watch, he'll get a poison/steel Alola form that trades off defense for more attack!

:shepicide:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Is there a way to gain affection with Slugma in Aime?

it keeps burning my hand :(

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Pokemon that are related to legendaries but aren't really legendaries suck though. There's never any hope for them to get better.

RIP Phione, Carbink especially.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

what's a good mono-gen 2 team?

Scizor, Tyranitar, Skarmory, M-Heracross, Suicune, Raikou would probably be a decent start.

You could sub in Blissey for Raikou if you want something more stall-y

Ka0 posted:

Smeargle, Miltank or Lanturn, Skarmory, Pinsir or Tyranitar, Blissey and Heracross.

Pinsir is Gen 1 dude.

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 22, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

notoriousman posted:

It's Quacklin' in X/Y and CH'DING in FireRed/LeafGreen

It will always be DUX in my heart.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nth Doctor posted:

Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best.

which is why I only love strong pokemon.

And Leavanny.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I hope they make more abilities like Strong Jaw and Mega Launcher. They're really cool and give some love to underused move-types.

Also Iron Fist should really be buffed up to a 50% boost to put it in line with them imo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Eox posted:

Any Pokemon can be dark type as long as they're kind of an rear end in a top hat. Luxray can see through walls, just toss a pokedex entry in about it using the power to dig up bunnelby warrens or something and we're good.

There are some Dark Types that aren't assholes!

Absol, Greninja, Pangoro, Umbreon, Shiftry and Sableye aren't at least.

The rest, yeah, you have a point.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

greatn posted:

What was my missing ingredient apart from Alakazam

Thunder wave or Seismic toss over flash.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

greatn posted:

Are those TMs available in Celadon? It's a loving pain since they don't have their names attached at the store so you have idea what any of it is.

Blizzard is in the basement of the manor on Cinnabar, Rock Slide is in Rock Tunnel, Hyper Beam is at the Game Corner.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

greatn posted:

Hyper beam is probably the only one I don't have then. How much is it/which one?

Its TM 15, 5500 coins.

Blizzard is TM 14, Rock Slide is TM 48

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zoness posted:

i keep mixing up which one tm 13 and tm 24 is, i'm going to be honest

13 is Ice Beam and 24 is Thunderbolt.

I think that's been true literally every gen except gen 2.

Gen II had the worst TM set ever though. Zap Cannon, Icy Wind, Snore, Curse, Dragonbreath, Protect and Detect.

:psyduck:

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 23, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zoness posted:

at least tm 26 will never betray my trust and expectations and is also the best physical ground move (unless you are groudon or maybe excadrill in doubles) to boot

And 49 will always be worthless garbage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Txn posted:

Any nickname suggestions for slugma?

The slugma in question:

why would you have a timid Slugma?

Its got 30 base speed. There are pokemon that are literally immobile that are faster.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zoness posted:

calm is probably the best nature sure but I mean are we really looking at minmaxing a magcargo

like there's nothing you can do for it that lets it take one more surf/waterfall/scald/hydro pump from name a water type pokemon

Its just weird to breed something for speed when its outsped by luminaries like;

Kakuna, Bronzong, Wormadam and Turtwig.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zoness posted:

most typings can be avoided but water is probably one of the most ubiquitous ones. having a 4x weakness to water is almost a death sentence in and of itself.

mostly I did the calculation because I wanted to see if magcargo could survive the worst fully evolved water type pokemon.

but you're right it was weird to focus on a single 4x weakness when magcargo has a host of other awful weaknesses.

although if magcargo had offensively-oriented stats it could be interesting, it's just awful to have defensive stats with a really bad defensive typing combo

Maybe if Rock attacks didn't have so many horrific downsides.

Why is the Rock version of Earthquake 80% accurate with half the PP? Why does almost nothing learn the Special Rock attacks, especially Rock types.

Seriously, of the 19 pokemon that learn Power Gem 4 are Rock types. And none of them are the few Rock types who actually could use a special Rock attack.

Its a really good attacking type in a vacuum, but goddamn Gamefreak shits on Rock moves like it does on Ice Pokemon.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

make it into a flareon?

Or Leafeon/Umbreon which aren't garbage and look cool with shiny colors.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I get you. I started a Black Nuzlocke two days ago just to do something Pokemon-wise, and that's the only gen I haven't Nuzlocked yet.

I have horrendous Nuzlocke luck.

Literally all my pokes have hindering natures and are also fairly bad right now

Bold Furret, Adamant Vivillon, Impish Combee, Modest Venipede.

Everyone else is dead :negative:

I really, really hate those two assholes with the Furfrou double battle on the way back from Poke-Versailles.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

do hidden pokes still show up if you use a repel

Dustclouds, shadows etc. yes they do.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Man Zygarde looks goofy in all his incantations. Either goopy thing, goofy doggy, some sort of weird snake or a digimon. What's his deal.

We don't really know since all his non snake forms are Anime and Sun/Moon exclusive. Probably a relic of a scrapped Z version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

oddium posted:

regular snake zyguarde is the best legendary behind articuno

Agreed.

His other forms are okay, but Snake-Zygarde is rad as gently caress and I wish it was better and not just a kinda-worse Garchomp