Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I'm still waiting on confirmation for the starters' final forms and types. and if I don't like any of them enough, ditching my starter becomes a good option, as it is for HGSS and BW/B2W2, where the starters are okay, but weak enough to be easily replaceable.

but I will try out most of these new friends, especially if the EXP Share still works the same way, so I can get a rotation going. I expect I will not hang on to Yungoos to the end, though. The only trash rodent I've ever taken to the end was Raticate in a run of Fire Red, and only because it had the Super Fang gimmick and could learn Thunder Wave, so I'd send it in to paralyze, take one hit, then Super Fang, then switch out or let it die. but the rest of the trash rodents fall off in usefulness a few levels prior to evolving, and then you have to drag them along until they do evolve, and then their stats aren't even that great. at least Bibarel and Diggersby have another type.
A lot of team choices will depend on where the Pokemon are caught, what type I need at that point, and what moves the Pokemon have when I catch them. If there's one I want to use, but it doesn't learn good STAB until level 50 or with a TM I can't get until the 4th island, into the box you go, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I like Hoenn a lot, and the Gen III Pokemon are cool, but yes, Aqua and Magma were dumb as a bunch of rocks. I feel like the designers didn't really know what to do when they had to move on from Team Rocket, and possibly also that Kyogre and Groudon were conceptualized and designed before the actual plot of the game.

I'm not surprised, but I am disappointed that ORAS ignored some of Emerald's best changes, and left out the fuckin' Battle Frontier. now I'm really torn about whether I should even bother buying the game, at this point. maybe I should just save my money for Sun or Moon.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

GreyPowerVan posted:

Mega Ampharos is extremely good.

my laptop background is still the Mega Ampharos wallpaper that I downloaded in the run-up to X&Y's release. I see no reason to ever change it.
iirc the links to download the cool wallpapers were posted here. :3:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

bobjr posted:

I was talking with someone about how to make Ice better as a type defensively, since it only resists other Ice types. If it got one other type it could resist what would make the most sense, because I thought water. Then again I also thought Poison should be super effective on Water types as well.

yeah. Ice should at least resist Water. It should probably also lose at least one weakness. Steel or Rock, maybe.
and Poison got a bit of a buff with the advent of Fairy type, but I've always thought it would make at least a little sense for it to be strong against both Water and Fighting. alternately, comedy option, bring back Bug and Poison being mutually weak against each other.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Despite cats being the best animals, they are pretty bad as pokemon :smith:

well, Meowth, Skitty, and Shinx are all pretty good playable characters in the PMD games, fwiw.

also Pyroar is not completely terrible. Persian has a niche.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Geostomp posted:

Golurk just needs to muster the willpower to call his beast expansion mech, you just wait.

It very much was. We are very, very lucky the core idea shined through enough to keep us hooked to that broken mess long enough for them to fix some of it.

jesus, it's hard, now, playing Pokemon games with physical/special moves tied to typing, limited use TMs, and tons of Pokemon not learning any good STAB until level 60 or so, or never.
at least HGSS gives out infinite Headbutt, and there's no reason not to teach it to everything that could possibly learn it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Itemfinder is necessary, imo, if you want cash cash money, 'cause you can find items to sell using the Itemfinder (sell all Ethers, Elixirs, and Vitamins unless you're one of THOSE PEOPLE that actually uses them). and you do want cash cash money, for the Ultra Balls to catch the birds, and the Full Restores for taking on the Elite Four.

unless the VC release still has the whole coast of Cinnabar glitch nuttiness, then items are no longer a problem.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Zore posted:

What are you using at that point then?

The only gen II pokes you can even get before Bugsy are

1) Starters
2) Hoothoot
3) Sentret
4) Mareep
5) Wooper
6) Spinarak
7) Ledyba
8) Hopip
9) Dunsparse

.... yeah, those are all p. bad unless you have Cyndaquil and maybe Mareep.

Gen II way backloads its good pokemon, and the ones you can get early are mostly real bad. At least Gen IV gave a bunch of them evos to make them not total garbage.

ooof, yeah, you basically have to use some Gen I Pokemon if you want to not have a Bad Time in the early going. Well, or you start with Cyndaquil and grind quite a bit, because you'll need some HP to tank a U-Turn (if we're talking HGSS).
I guess you could also grind up Mareep till it evolves and rely on Thundershock & Flaaffy's okay bulk to carry you through. Scyther is part Flying, after all, and does not like special attacks much.
but generally the solution for Bugsy is Geodude or Spearow.

hmmm, I'm thinking about HGSS Gen II Pokemon availability.

Before Gym 1
Chikorita/Cyndaquil/Totodile
Hoothoot
Sentret
Spinarak
Ledyba
Mareep (Primo)
Wooper (Primo)
Slugma (Primo)
Dunsparce (but really, only feasible after, when you have Rock Smash)
Unown :buddy:
Crobat (if you grind like crazy!)

Before Gym 2
Togepi
Hoppip (lol)
Steelix (if you trade it to a game that has a metal coat, attach it, & trade back, lol)
Slowking (same as above, but with King's Rock)

Before Gym 3
Pineco
Heracross
Aipom
Yanma
Sunkern (lol)
Bellossom (National Park-won Sun Stone)
Scizor (same as w/Steelix & Slowking)

Before Gym 4
Sudowoodo
Espeon
Umbreon
Stantler
Marill (rare as gently caress)
Snubbull
Miltank
Corsola (rare as gently caress, need Good Rod)
Qwilfish (rare as gently caress, need Good Rod)
Chinchou
Girafarig
Entei & Raikou (theoretically)

Before Gym 5
Politoed (same as Slowking)
Shuckle
Smeargle
Natu
Mantine

Before Gym 7?
Misdreavus (Safari Zone)
Murkrow (Safari Zone)
Larvitar (Safari Zone)

Before Gym 8
Kingdra (same as w/ Slowking, Steelix, and Scizor, but with Dragon Scale)
Delibird
Swinub
Remoraid
Phanpy
Teddiursa
Gligar
Skarmory
Wobbuffet

Pre-E4
Tyrogue/Hitmontop
Lugia or Ho-Oh

Post E-4
Houndour
Sneasel
Ho-Oh or Lugia

lol I'm so glad Nintendo never did anything like this again.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Where the gently caress do you get Slugma that early

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Primo
http://www.filb.de/games/tools/aikotoba?l=en

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

dunsparce is the best gamefreak troll and i hope they do not ever give it an evolution or make it better in anyway

Dunsparce is great just the way she is. :3:

worst Pokemon would be something that meets these criteria:
poorly designed
not much in the way of lore behind it
garbage in-game and in every tier to a degree that it wouldn't find a niche in the lowest active tier.

what fits that criteria?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

The mark of a bad fanfic writer is when they start mixing in religious and angelic references where they are inappropriate (everywhere)

what's the mark of a good fanfic writer, then?

speaking of fanfic, I haven't read much in the way of good Pokemon fanfic even though I went through a long period of reading it. Most of it was amusing junk, but there was a pretty wild one with Team Rocket's Wobbuffet as the main character in a dystopian future where all the humans had died. I swear I am not making this up. It was the best fanfiction I've ever encountered, because it was aggressively weird, and had a good sense of character and place. The plotting was crazy, too. iirc Meowth was the main villain. the same author did a spin-off prequel featuring a Glalie as the main character, that was also pretty good, and harrowing because it showed a Pokemon being captured against its will by a human in a fairly disturbing way. The fact that the trainer did not abuse the Glalie made it MORE unsettling. like eventually it comes to like the trainer, but it's written as a kind of Stockholm Syndrome thing.

the other great one I remember involving a Linoone trying to organize a bloody revolution of Pokemon against all humanity. had a lot of good things to say about the nature of revolutions and why they usually fail.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I like that Throh and Sawk are just blatantly muppets. :3:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Alxprit posted:

Speaking of berries, a friend of mine recently managed to get 999 of every berry after starting the process early January. It was the only reason he felt like playing Gen 6 postgame at all. I have to commend him but I also have to wonder what the heck.

once you start, berry growing can easily turn into a sickness. I remember for a few months in 2004, I was planting and watering berries nearly every day on Ruby. I had hundreds of every berry that could easily be obtained. It wasn't Pokemon Ruby anymore, it was Berry Farming Simulator 2004. This also happened in Pearl soon after it came out. I was sort of relieved when it wasn't a big feature in gen V, because it meant I couldn't get sucked in. and then it wasn't as fun in Gen VI because it was just one large patch.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

X/Y now seem like proof of concept for making Pokemon handheld games 3D, and Sun and Moon seem to represent the full implementation based on successful testing. people are normally sized in the overworld now, there's no grid, etc.

Maybe at some point they were intending to make Z, and certainly there's evidence for it, but what I think may have happened is that they just got antsy and wanted to clear the table, and springboard off the innovations in X/Y to bigger and better things rather than making a slightly improved remake of the game they already made.
It might also be that the brain trust made a decision to stop making third versions.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

CanUSayGym posted:

:words:

Awesome. I'll probably play through super slow and try and get everything. There was just so much I saw reading about the games before I decided to buy it before that I kinda forgot about till I started playing it again and got overwhelmed.

Like if this is true, how the gently caress did it get found out or was it data mined out: Inkay evolves into Malamar starting at level 30 while the Nintendo 3DS system is held upside-down.

actually, what happened was that a game store in Canada inadvertently sold copies of X and Y a week early, and several people started posting screenshots, and doing everything they could to find all of the new Pokemon. IIRC one of them was having trouble evolving Inkay, and then was like "no, wait, it couldn't be this..." and held the 3DS system upside down. SURE ENOUGH. Obviously people could have found out from game guides.

I'm not even sure if 3DS Pokemon games can be datamined in the way older Pokemon games were.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Ampharos can use Power Gem, but...Diancie can't...huh. Nintendo is weird.

Power Gem is okay for Ampharos, making it possibly the only decent Pokemon that can use it to some effect. my normal Ampharos in-game moveset is Thunderbolt/Signal Beam/Power Gem/Thunder Wave. sometimes Iron Tail, lol.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

that Snorlax Z-Move singlehandedly justifies Z-Moves. :syoon:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Dexie posted:

Zoroark could have been a thing if, y'know, it wasn't a lovely event only 'mon.

I hope whatever scrub in marketing was behind that got canned. :argh:

it was easily obtainable in B2/W2 though? you just get given a Zorua by an ex-Plasma guy in Driftveil.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Boomstick Quaid posted:

We know that you have to have the z stone held item attached on the Pokemon, and for the type-specific z stones a Pokemon has to have an attack move of that type at least; we don't know yet whether status moves of a type will suffice. For the Pokemon-specific z moves, we have no idea how they work, you might not actually have to have a move of the z move's attack for all we know. Furthermore it seems there are also key item counterparts to the z stones that actually are slotted into the z stone bracelet. The bracelet holds a max of six stones, which I guess is for freaks who want to have z stones attached to each one of their Pokemon despite that fact you can only launch one off per battle.

And if mega evolution is in, we don't know if you can both launch a z move and mega evolve within the same match

I imagine the six slots are as much for accessorizing as anything. Which Z-stones together will look prettiest? A tough, time-consuming question. I say this only slightly ironically.

also, Champions...

1. Blue - gotta give it up for him, it's such an iconic moment thinking you're done and then he somehow got there first, and he's there, taunting you.
2. Cynthia - for offering a credible challenge, and not sitting on her rear end when evil was afoot in her region, and for showing up in later games and still being totally terrifying to battle.
3. Alder - very cool guy, first meeting him when he JUMPS OFF A CLIFF to greet you, has a neat team. but it's weird because you don't battle him until the second go-around because Plasma hijacks things at that point.
4. Lance - credit for going after Team Rocket mk.2, and inspiring a massive inferiority complex in his cousin Clair.
5. Diantha - very stylish, and I like the idea that she's a fashion/film celebrity in addition to being champion, and how her ~aesthetic~ meshes well with Mega-Gardevoir. Also she might be a bit of a reference to Audrey Hepburn, so there's that.
6. Steven - meh. at least he gives you a Beldum. He got knocked over by Wallace though, which must be humiliating.
7. Iris - reused the Wallace idea, but somewhat better. Nice dress? not much else to say.
8. Wallace - the most trivial champion ever. Emerald is mostly a hard game, but he is such a chump.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hugh's theme owns so he's cool in my book. And him being really mad about his sister's cat getting stolen 2 years ago is also good, he's just not that great as an actual rival imo. He doesn't really have any beef with you and he doesn't actually want to compete with you either since your goals don't conflict or anything. It's not like Barry where you're both aiming to be champ, he just really wants to beat up a criminal organisation and is happy you're helping him out with that.

Colress as a crazy mad scientist who disagrees with Team Plasma's doctrine but helps them anyway because Ghetsis is funding his science, and then just leaves to keep doing what he's doing without them once they're beat is actually a really great characterisation and does not need to be changed.

Colress might be my favourite Evil Team Leader, even if he's only like co-leader. Also, he has my favourite theme.

Colress is a neat character, because he's just pure :science: , and not only does he bear the player character no ill will, he's pretty friendly. When I was playing for the first time and went to confront him in the airship, I was feeling more, "oh boy it's time to battle with my science buddy!" than "Imma beat that smug evildoer". He's, I guess you might say, an anti-villain.

to be honest B2/W2 has a hella dumb plot, but the game progression, Pokemon availability (hello, friend Growlithe!), and the new areas make up for it. I like that weird little mountain town a lot in particular. Plus the postgame being largely the beginning areas of B/W is kinda inspired.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Barry is amazing. I love his sprite from the beginning of battles, where he's just SO HYPE. he's all YEAH YEAH YEAHHHHH!
and he's constantly running off, and charging into danger, and generally being a total hyperactive spaz. everyone has known a Barry. he's a good boy, and a good friend/rival.
and there's also the nice background detail that his dad is basically head of the Battle Frontier, so he's really got something to prove, but he doesn't ever really come out and say it in so many words. and when you tag battle with him, he's not completely useless like a lot of tag battle buddies.

that Cynthia figure someone linked to the other day? I would totally be interested in a Barry one of those. :3:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Tierno should've had Maractus. and definitely Spinda.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Togemon was always my favorite Digimon.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Flopsy posted:

I may sound like a bitter old woman, but what sticks with me the most was that girls were rarely if ever in the special kick rear end snowflake groups. it was alway give up your powers for the greater good or some poo poo so spiky haired dude can have enough power ups to fight this evil motherfucker right here. I got tired of it really loving fast. Like after the last time it happened my eyes rolled out of my skull into orbit and I just gave up the series right there.

Bancholillymon is still a boss though. Wish she'd actually show up in something outside of the cards.

edit: Although to be fair to Adventure the ending battle truly was an equal experience for everybody. That was a bomb rear end ending.

Question: Mimi, great character or greatest?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

yay, I'm finally downloading Pokemon Bank and then Pokemon Transporter, so I can finally start a new game on White after using it for storage for gen III, IV, and V games.

Is there anything I need to know going into it?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Because DS games can't go online any more, you should avoid lines that require trade evolutions - Roggenrola, Timburr, Karrablast, Shelmet.

pssssh, I have a DSi and an old broken-hinge DS, and a copy of White 2. but that makes me think, maybe I want to use one of those in my soon-to-happen Bug run of White 2.

So I'm thinking...
Escavalier
Vespiquen
Crustle
Volcarona
Galvantula
Leavanny

Scolipede and Heracross are my good buddies, but I have used them a lot. The plan will

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Aether being a thing kinda solves the problem I'd been having trying to think about the game's plot. Guzma seems personally motivated, and Team Skull seems to be doing mostly petty, street-level things. I was having trouble understanding how Team Skull would be wrapped up in the legendaries and the escalating crazy town plot we've come to expect from a Pokemon game now.

But the Aether Foundation, whether they're villains or just naive dumbshits that stumble into the discovery of evil entities from another dimension, kinda solves that.

I'm really hoping that the Aether Foundation are the baddies, though. I mean, they have grunts, they have a massive artificial island HQ, they're tied to the Ultra Beasts, and I can easily see Lusamine and Faba being bad. Wicke not so much, which leads me to think if Aether is bad, that she's being kept in the dark about the bad stuff.

Also hoping we team up at the end with our boy Guzma, Plumeria, and Emo Boy at the end. I would love that so much.

final thought: Lusamine, Emo Boy, and Lillie are obviously related (blonde hair, green eyes). not sure how yet. I don't THINK UB-1 is Lillie though, that'd be a bridge too far in weirdness. I don't think Lusamine is old enough to be Lillie's mother, though it's hard to tell, so I'm going to assume the three are siblings.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

El Burbo posted:

i want dexio's shirt

drat that's a fine shirt. They should sell that shirt in real life. big merchandising opportunity, I mean everyone loves Alola Exeggutor.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

Why are people assuming the teams are version exclusives. They would've said it, considering they announced the shifted day-night cycle.

yeah, also it's the "Aether Foundation" not Team Aether, so you know they're extremely on the up and up and not ever up to any bad things at all, never mind that they're researching extradimensional entities and have their own artificial island.

It's like, Team Skull are the obvious threat, but Aether Foundation being secretly evil is about the best Nintendo's ever going to manage in terms of a twist in a Pokemon game's plot.
My theory is that the legendary version exclusive is going to be summoned to protect Alola from the Ultra Beasts.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Rather than actually being her it could be a psuedo pokemon creature that was created by the Aether foundation performing bad science, with her as the test subject. So the ultra beasts aren't actually people but weird monsters created as reflections of people they performed experiments on.

Its probably all Lusamine's fault for being a bad mom.

Also I can't imagine Nintendo would actually have Lillie turn out to be an extradimensional creature. Also the description suggests the creature is probably not sentient, but Lillie seems to have a distinct personality. My thought is that Lillie imprinted on the thing somehow, as it is a shapeshifter.
Lusamine is definitely a terrible mother. One of her kids became a research assistant to a professor to get away from her (my theory), and the other went emo and joined a gang.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

Rockruff is cute and a good dog

but if he gets a lucario style Dog Man evolution its okay to dislike that one

I would be okay if one of the evolutions is a Wairwilf, if the other is a big dog on all fours. Wairwilf is the Moon version exclusive evolution, BigDog is the Sun version exclusive evolution.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I'm not really fond of legendaries, because they're overpowered, and often overdesigned. The only ones I've ever used in my actual party are Suicune and Ho-Oh. Well, I had a level 100 Mewtwo in Silver with the elemental punches and Psychic that I used to repeatedly beat the Elite Four for money. Not sure what I was using the money for, though.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

TWIST FIST posted:

xerneas has probably my favorite design out of every legendary and im glad that its apparently pretty good competitively

She's very pretty, yes. :3:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Scrap Dragon posted:

Should I use Drapion or Scoliopede in my White 2 run?

hmmm, tough call. I have both on mine (but that was a Poison mono run, that I'm ending, transferring up everything so I can start a Bug run).

Scolipede is cuter, so that. I like using Drapion, but it's one of the most overdesigned non-legendaries. There is just too much going on there.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Bleck posted:

Okay, but, what about Grumpig.

Grumpig is one of my favorites. as is Spoink, really.

back when I was seriously considering writing fan fiction, one of the main characters of my sprawling, epic, 12 part, century spanning story was going to be a Grumpig.
god, I still have a couple binders of that poo poo.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

the most plausible theory is that the Aether Foundation is indeed evil, but in a mad science-y way. Not that they have some WORLD DOMINATION plan, but that they're doing horrible poo poo and tampering with realms Man Was Not Meant To See. and they're trying to harness entities from another dimension by bonding them to people. Lusamine used herself and her own loving children (Lillie, Gladion) as the subjects. So I'm not sure whether you actually fight Aether, or whether you just deal with the Ultra Beasts they brought into the world.
and I think the box legendaries get involved because you summon them to fight the Ultra Beasts.

whatever the case, I believe in our boy Guzma, and I think he will be redeemed by the end. :unsmith:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Hardcordion posted:

Woopers, you guys. Woopers are the best.

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to post the objectively correct answer.

:wooper: :wooper: :wooper:

although Goomy is a close second.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Cicadas! posted:

Official site says "Instruct is a move that only Oranguru can learn. It can make the selected target use its most recent move again immediately." So, not like sleep talk.

That's an exceptionally cool move for doubles/triples.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

The Alolan forms will only be for Gen 1 Pokemon, and the next generation will get forms exclusively for Gen 2 Pokemon alongside the Virtual Console release of Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal

the remake cycle is forever broken, they are free of the curse of remaking really old stuff, thank you virtual console and pokemon bank

The next obvious step now that they've remade every game that needed it, is to kinda pull a B2/W2, and do sequels set in the same region with new plot, some new characters, and expanded regional dexes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Classtoise posted:

Oh, and in White2, I caught a Dwebble in a Nuzlocke who I named General. He didn't do much of anything. I caught a new Dwebble in a Y nuzlocke, and she impressed me enough for a name change to Captain. Then, in my latest Nuzlocke, I got lucky enough to find ANOTHER Dwebble who was now one of my sleeper favorites and power houses, and I named her Admiral.

She is my star.

Dwebble is a neat Pokemon that doesn't get enough love, and has a good movepool, stats, typing, and access to Shell Smash. It'll never be competitively viable, but in-game it's enormously fun.