Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Zore posted:

All Alolan pokemon seem to have really poo poo abilities even compared to their normal ones.

Vulpix/Ninetales get Snow Cloak vs. Flash Fire
Exeggutor gets Frisk vs Chlorophyll
Raichu gets Surge Surfer vs Static
Marowak gets Cursed Body vs Rock Head

You're kidding right? Assuming it's got the same speed as Kanto Raichu then here's a list of things faster than Alolan Raichu while Elec Terrain is active:

Scarfed Ninjask
Scarfed Deoxys, Deoxys-A and Deoxys-S
Swift Swim Floatzel w/ Rain
Chlorophyll Whimsicott w/ Sun (lol)

Literally EVERYTHING else is slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Team Rocket is the mafia.
Team Aqua/Magma are ecoterrorists.
Team Galactic is a cult.
Team Plasma are a paramilitary coup.
Team Flare are Objectivists.
Team Skull are a street gang.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Colress is totally gonna get retconned into being from the Aether Foundation isn't he?

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Yeah but if they split what pokemon are available depending on the time of day I really don't want to be popping in and out switching the clock each route.

They'll probably do what more recent games have done. Make it so that they're just really rare except at a certain time of day.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Ka0 posted:

I have a question for chestnaught users: what's your moveset?

Chesnaught:

Adamant/Bold with Leftovers (Rocky Helmet if you're playing with Item Clause and someone else needs it more)

Drain Punch
Spiky Shield
Leech Seed
Seed Bomb/Bulk Up/Super Fang/Toxic

You can also sub in Zen Headbutt or Earthquake in the last slot if you really need to counter Gengar/Aegislash.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Geostomp posted:

Much as I love the big guy, agreed. I have no idea why they designed it as they did.

Because they were going with an RPG theme for the starters. Fighter/Wizard/Rogue.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

Catastropika is definitely gonna need Volt Tackle in order to be used. Like that is the most obvious thing, second only to the obviousness of Pikachu getting an exclusive Z Move in the first place.

Not that anybody will ever use it because it means you're running Pikachu WITHOUT a Light Ball.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Is Alolan Muk supposed to look like refraction off oil? Either way I'm glad cause Muk is cool and Poison/Dark is a good typing.

I think it's supposed to be a paint spill.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

I look forward to the next episode of Pokemon Generations where Kyougre gets clowned on by a single Shedinja.

That was canon, right?

Kyogre AND Deoxys

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Jarogue posted:

Now thinking about it, is Bounsweet only going to a female since they describe Steenee to have a tomboy-like personality and Tsareena abilty is called Queenly Majesty

Might be like Combee where only the females evolve.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Oh jesus I just realised.

Xerneas is going to get access to Z-Moves.

Fairy Aura boosted Fairy Z-Move after Geomancy.

That fucker is going to wallbreak LITERALLY ANYTHING IT WANTS.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I HAVE TO SEE GRUMPY ADULT RED DO THE CATASTROPIKA DANCE SO BAD HOLY poo poo.

Also jesus loving christ Cynthia. Woman is committed to that look. Wearing black fur. In Hawaii.

Unless she's hiding a Vanniluxe in her bra or something all your battles with her are just going to end after one round when she collapses with heatstroke.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Primarina's design would be a whole lot better without the weird spikes on it's butt.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Wasn't there like official or concept art of her, Red, and Blue all together or something? Though for some reason, it took until Crystal to implement an option to play as a girl.

Space saving.

Not even a joke. Literally wasn't enough space on the cart in the original games to include player choice.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

There are new consumables that boost a stat one stage when a particular terrian is up.

The Tapus are absolutely going to be metagame defining this gen, particularly Koko and Lele.

Koko has a less than ideal stat spread but it's still powerful and it synergises perfectly with a very wide range of things.

Lele's Psychic Terrain has a lot less synergy but it's a faster, bulkier Gardevoir with double STAB on Psychic and Psyshock thanks to terrain effects. Expect this thing to be all over Ubers and VGC due to it's ability to shield Deoxys, Pheromosa and Kartana from priority moves.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

dungeon cousin posted:

They revealed the origami one, the bamboo one, and the black prism one named Necrozma. Interestingly they're calling Necrozma a Pokemon rather than an Ultra Beast like the other two.

Necrozma isn't an Ultra Beast it's Solgaleo and Lunala's Rayquaza/Giratina/Kyurem/Zygarde.

As for the Serebii thing Joe is very tight lipped about leaks ever since another site, Pokebeach, came within a hair's breadth of getting sued into oblivion by TPCI's lawyers over Gen 5 leaks. At least I think it was Gen 5.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

It's not Nintendo. Never has been in these cases. It's TCPI.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Decidueye is specifically based of a species of flightless owl that was native to Hawaii. It's extinct now, hence the Ghost typing.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

It seemed like it was going to be the 3rd box legendary like with Rayquaza what with the whole Z motif and all. But then a Pokemon Z never ended up happening, and from what I understand, anything plot relevant about Zygarde was shunted to the anime.

I think what happened was, although this is purely speculation on my part, that they had planned to make Pokemon Z. Then the higher ups decided they needed something bigger for the 20th anniversary and also a last hurrah for the 3DS to serve as a big hit for the holiday season given that the Wii U sure as hell wasn't going to provide one.

And so:

Sun and Moon.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

I just heard they changed Megas so the stat changes kick in on the same turn as the Mega Evolution including speed. Any truth to this?

Yes. Turn order is now calculated AFTER going Mega.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Just want to point out that speed changes means Mega Ray is even more unstoppable now. Nothing new in Gen 7 to knock it off it's throne, even gimmicky stuff like Pyukumuku.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Xerneas is also an absolutely unbelievable horror if it manages to get Z-Geomancy off. +1 Attack +1 Def +3 Sp. Attack, + 3 Sp. Def, +3 Speed. You have to spend a turn charging but sweet merciful Satan have pity on anything trying to stand in it's way afterwards.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

How does Z-Geomancy work? Is it White Herb-able?

+1 boost to tall stats immediately upon using the Z-Move. Geomancy then plays out normally, starting with it's charge turn.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

The National Dex is moved to Pokemon Bank because Game Freak wanted to add cross-game tracking. Doesn't matter which game it's from, anything you upload to bank adds to your National Dex.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

HOLDING A Z-CRYSTAL PREVENTS RAYQUAZA FROM GOING MEGA. MEGA RAY CANNOT USE Z-MOVES.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

A big part of the problem is the Pokemon models are absurdly high poly. They made them that way as futureproofing so as not to need to make a thousand models every time they want to do something new. Problem is they overdid it and now with the more detailed battle scenes in Sun and Moon and the trainer models also being in battle...

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Basically now instead of hordes you need to EV train by chaining wild Pokemon calling for help using Adrenaline Orbs which are cheap as hell consumables. It's still slower than EV training in Gen 6 was but it's also not a full rollback to having to do it the Gen 5 and earlier way. Of course come January unless you need a Gen 7 exclusive egg move you'll be able to just train in those games and then transfer up.

...It just struck me how much it's going to suck when 3DS games can't go online anymore. Once the bank update goes live you'll be able to transfer stuff all the way up from Ruby and Sapphire to Sun and Moon if you have the hardware and feel like doing it. Soon as the 3DS stops being able to access bank that unbroken line gets shattered.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

:siren:

THE MECHANICS OF POWER ITEMS HAS CHANGED! THEY NOW GIVE +8 TO THE RELEVANT STAT WHEN GAINING EVS! IN ADDITION THE ADRENALIN ORB ACTS A PSEUDO POKERUS GIVING YOU EXTRA EV'S WHEN YOU CHAIN

:siren:

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

Azurill is Normal because it's a baby water mouse that isn't very good at using water yet. Makes perfect sense.

I genuinely didn't realise Azurill was Normal/Fairy nowadays. I thought they had just swapped Normal out for Fairy in Gen 6.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I hope theyre just skipping this gen because those battles would lead to solid single digit framerates

Given the issues some people have been reporting I expect it's more because they don't your 3DS to melt through the floor.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

So. Mega Stones for anything not in the Alola Dex are unavailable in Sun and Moon. Unless Bank gives the necessary items to you for free once it updates the following are the Pokemon you will be unable to Mega in Gen 7:

Abomasnow, Aggron, Altaria, Ampharos, Audino, Banette, Beedrill, Blaziken, Camerupt, Diancia, Gallade, Gardevoir, Heracross, Houndoom, Latias, Latios, Lopunny, Manectric, Mawile, Medicham, Mewtwo, Pidgeot, Sceptile, Steelix, Swampert and Tyranitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

When does Poke Pelago open up? I need stones for my precious babies.