Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

RC Cola posted:

Gligar and Gliscor are the two best pokemon. Discuss.

Gliscor is cooler than the other ground/flying type pokemon, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
as a Dragon Enthusiast what are the cool dragons this time around

I mean, definitely getting an alolan exeggutor, for starters.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

heres my team for alola

strike 1 was lando-t

strike 2 was chansey

you struck out on greninja.

Countblanc posted:

Shinies are already perfectly usable, friend. *taps nose Showdownily*

how do I play with a shiny m-ray in singles then :v:

(do people actually play anything goes)

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 19, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nth Doctor posted:

Dude, Watchog is great as a poor man's Technician Breloom. It has hypnosis and super fang, which is awesome for taking down high HP monsters.

sure but would you rather have a poor man's breloom or a poor man's arceus (linoone)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I only dislike landorus-T because his other form is cooler and has an absolutely busted ability in sheer force.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Crosspeice posted:

I believe it's yee-vel-tall and zer-nee-uss

that's how i've always said them except I say zer-NAY-us because .

wait how is yee-vel-tall emphasized please say it's on the first syllable.

also confession time scarf landorus-t was a huge part of my best OU showdown team because it was a perfect u-turning partner with my genesect :rip:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

All Alolan pokemon seem to have really poo poo abilities even compared to their normal ones.

Vulpix/Ninetales get Snow Cloak vs. Flash Fire
Exeggutor gets Frisk vs Chlorophyll
Raichu gets Surge Surfer vs Static
Marowak gets Cursed Body vs Rock Head

I mean, Static and Rock Head aren't particularly good abilities :v:. I can think of at least one pokemon where I'd probably rather have cursed body than its normal ability (it's Giratina, but not Giratina-O).

Also Vulpix has an ability that isn't sunny day?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ruggington posted:

here's mine

:same: but with a smeargle and salamence

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
kyurem-white is the coolest legendary from that generation though, hands down.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
technician breloom or poison heal breloom though

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

Technician. Bullet Seed is such an insane upgrade over Seed Bomb. :getin:

Technician also means that you do not have to run Stone Miss.

I hope Breloom remains good in Gen VII.

if it remains the only spore user that can do damage then it will probably still be good

Zore posted:

People really don't respect the power of Swords Dance Scolipede on Showdown.

I respect swords dance

with foul play.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
well I set the thing to gen 4 only and

I think I messed up

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'm a fan of my gen 6 pre-ORAS ubers team

Groudon/Yveltal/Shaymin-S/M-Scizor/Arceus-Rock/Ho-OH

i named them after persona 4 personae though.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

obviously ice type will be buffed to have a bunch of resistances so that alola sandslash will be the best sandslash he can be

yeah give it resistances to common attacking types such as poison, grass, and psychic.

buff ice type and how about make it so that not every pokemon in the game learns ice beam. mewtwo has had ubers sets where its only attacking move is ice beam :wtc:, why even bother with STAB when you have such high stats and it's such good coverage.

(please buff psychic as an offensive typing, is what I'm saying)

Zoness fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 20, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
this is definitely my favorite shiny:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah shiny genesect looks cool and is also a superior option because nonshiny genesects can't have extreme speed.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
my favorite water pokemon are vaporeon, tentacruel, and starmie and their shiny sprites look like abominations unto nature

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
it would only be bad if genesect mega evolved into a form with four arms

anyway genesect is cool, i hope they do more distros of it, as it is my favorite random gen5 legendary that exists for seemingly no reason

also meloetta but she's not good for battling, I have spent nonzero effort on making meloetta work.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Will shiny Alolan Ninetales be yellow?

That would be a fun way to play mindgames with people since their models are probably the closest of the Alolan/Normal forms.

have you ever used a ghost type arceus named arceus-dark

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
ubers is my favorite format so v:shobon:v

but mostly because i get to use my favorite bird, ho-oh.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i like regenerator so I'm a fan of tornadus-T by default even if I hate the genies.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
if you spell the first 5 letters of another pokemon's name with your unown and then put that pokemon in your 6th slot it becomes your dad

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
screw ledian, give ARIADOS some (more) love

at least ledian is like the only ladybug. ariados can't even be the coolest spider out there because there's a cool as heck electric spider.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 22, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

All Gen 2 pokemon are bad and should honestly just be put straight into the trash and forgotten.

that's very rude to hitmontop and forretress

and maybe skarmory and tyranitar too

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

no.

Also there are many several great Gen II pokemon;

Also wobbo but he's really a gen 3 pokemon since he's nothing without shadow tag.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Okay here's an addendum to my statement: GEN 2 has no good pokemon, but it has a few mediocre one's that were saved either with Gen 3's mechanical changes or Gen 4 giving them evolutions that weren't poo poo.

still rude to skarmory

Skarmory @ Leftovers, physical defense EV's blah blah

Whirlwind
Curse
Rest
Drill Peck

this was the solution to the monster known as snorlax.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
at least gen 2 didn't have an ice cream cone

or a bear that should definitely get a flu shot

or a whatever the gently caress avalugg is supposed to be

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I guess I can't see it because avalugg is both mechanically worthless and it looks like something cubchoo left on the ground. But at least it's not ice cream.

Look I just want more cool ice types like mamoswine. That thing is a beast.

also walrein.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dexie posted:

On that note I JUST found out that the winning Worlds team used Raichu.

Wh...when did Raichu become that good? :stare:

I assume it was used as a support. I dreamed of running a support raichu with nuzzle in early X/Y since it has a very unique set of abilities with lightning rod and access to fake out, encore and nuzzle, but it didn't work at all and I am bad at doubles.

Looks like Wolfe Glick used an assault vest on his and used fake out, volt switch, nuzzle, and endeavor which lets him do a good amount of damage and disrupt setup without being vulnerable to taunts or traps.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 22, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
magcargo was my preferred egg hatching guy until they made talonflame who can both speed up eggs hatching and fly in one slot :rip:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
just pretend heatran evolves from magcargo and it changed rock to steel, just like how steelix evolves from onyx.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
alcharagia why didn't you link the good magcargo, who combos with his best pal ludicolo:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

Man the card game has had some serious power creep since it was new, huh.

i think it's more of a power ebb and flow since computer search used to be playable as a normal trainer where now it's only an ace spec, and scoop up is tied to a coin flip

on the other hand, pokemon can do upwards of 200 damage (240 for a night march user with 11 night marchers in the discard pile and a muscle band attached, before power and toughness calculations) or so starting on the second turn

Zoness fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 23, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I like that absol gets a bad rap because it shows up when disasters show up, it's a cool pokedex entry.

I wish mega absol were better but it was fun to use, its biggest problem was probably that it was too obvious that you were gonna mega it for magic bounce.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

What was my missing ingredient apart from Alakazam

thunder wave instead of flash

remember that special attack and special defense were the same stat in gen 1 so with reflect up alakazam was a pretty hefty tank.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
reflect is a massive defensive boost, you're supposed to use it when you get a turn against something that wouldn't do sizeable damage to alakazam, since if golem or tauros still do more than half of alakazam's hp after a reflect you're not coming out ahead

if you have alakazam against like an exeggutor reflect protects against an ohko from explosion and a hyper beam from a switched-in golem which lets you freely t-wave (which wouldn't affect golem unfortunately) or psychic whatever they try to bring in

in general in competitive battles if you can't ohko or 2hko whatever is in and it has access to reliable recovery (and it can keep you from setting up on it or if you can't grind it down with residual damage stalling), you'll want to switch to something else, and reflect is a good tool on alakazam to force your opponent to switch more.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 23, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i keep mixing up which moves tm 13 and tm 24 are (one is ice beam, the other thunderbolt), i'm going to be honest

generation 2 tm13 and tm24 never happened.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I just immediately think 24 is ice beam and 13 is thunderbolt if I don't look it up don't judge me.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
at least tm 26 will never betray my trust and expectations and is also the best physical ground move (unless you are groudon or maybe excadrill in doubles) to boot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
calm is probably the best nature sure but I mean are we really looking at minmaxing a magcargo

like there's nothing you can do for it that lets it take one more surf/waterfall/scald/hydro pump from name a water type pokemon