Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Thanks for the list!

Are you saying the large looking bishop mon evolves into the smaller king mon? Does that happen often in digimon?

Also I actually kind of like how fangmon still manages to look cartoony despite how hosed up it is.

I like Sawk and Throh but the new Tiki pokemon is easily the fakest looking of the new ones. That and Alola Ninetails and Sandslash since they're basically just pallette swaps.

Yeah there's a few end form digimon that are small, but very powerful. Babamon for example, usually they're regulated to side characters in the anime/Games and not playable characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

you are like, the one person who likes that

Nah, Kamen Rider Digimon was pretty rad, actually. Except near the end of the series where only 2 of the 6 kids could help in battle at all, but that's a problem the show shares with Adventure and 02.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Weren't all the kids in every series overshadowed by the designated protagonist being the one that does the most important poo poo?

Nah, tamers was always about the core 3 kids and the others that joined their ranks as time went aw were always treated as secondary cast members. In fact in it's final art one of them turned into the important plot point by being the core of the eldritch horror powered by the depression of a forsaken child and another one moved up from secondary cast to primary for the final battles.

Though the latter character was the star of his own video games that are canon to both Adventure 02 AND tamer even though Adventure is a cartoon in the Tamer's world.

Those wonderswan RPGs are weird.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Spatula City posted:

Question: Mimi, great character or greatest?

She Married Izzy, confirming herself as the ultimate settler.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Know Digimon talk is dead, but this is Yugioh talk, why is he holding a millennium item?

It's Pharaoh sans body.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

A nuzlocke style run where you only get 6 pokemon and you WT away any pokemon that 'dies' and must use that new pokemon as it's replacement.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So the Aether Foundation are 100% creepy cult evil and me and Guzma are gonna have to cut them down, right?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I much prefer the subdued designs for Trainers. Also salt is a spice and wheat bread is a little too exciting for me.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

Lusamine is either the secret real bad guy or the champion

There's no champion because there's no league but even if there was she could be both. The games could finally catch up to the manga and have the Elite Four + Champ be evil pieces of poo poo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Houle posted:

I much prefer the new designs. Confetti is a spice and I literally put sprinkles on everything. Gave my partner a nasty rash. Did you know sugar doesn't go in there?

Calling modern pokemon npc design sugary and without substance is really stupid since most of the new designs have a lot more going on conceptually to them and are executed flawlessly in most cases. Team Skull's admins and grunts perfectly fit the concept of lovable punk losers that are just expressing their interests and lack of cash/traditional talent and focus on self style and comfort which is perfectly countered by Aether's bright futuristic form over function designs. That doesn't seem a like a lot of thought but it is miles ahead of most Pokemon character design from Gen 1-3.

Gen 1 has simple designs not out of choice but because of the tech they were working with at the time. Everything comes across as more caricature than characters which is made worse by that generations lack of substantial character writing. Its why you have such inspired designs as "Bad guy grunt so he's wearing all black and has a whip cause he's mean and hits his pokemon" which makes little to no sense since Team Rocket are very much positioned as mafiosos. The overly simple designs kind of betrays the core ideas of the characters because they were more focused on getting The game working than making an interesting cast/world. Which is justified by the age of the game but that doesn't make them better or less cartoonish than the modern designs.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 6, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

So that trailer had some dialog that mentioned that the Aether Foundation was making an artificial island just for Pokémon...which makes them Pokémon Seasteaders, I suppose.

That makes me hope that there is a redemptive arc for Team Skull and together you go after the real enemy: Pokémon Libertarians

Can't wait to be cornered by the Aether squad and a wall blows in and all the text says is "IT'S YA BOY" before you enter a tag double battle.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Spoilers: any group of people talking about making their own paradise or who's leader is calling out for all people to follow then and how they'll take care of them in their Paradise is probably super loving evil.

Aether's doing both.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Also if the Aether guys are evil they are probably evil in the same way Colress was.

The leader is literally saying she built a paradise to keep Pokémon safe (from people is the implication ) and she will be their mother.

Lady's crazy and they're gonna be Galactic level cult-y

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Pokemon is dreadful when it tries to do serious villain plots so I wouldn't get your hopes up either way. Just enjoy Guzma while he remains a goofy gangster.

Except B/W is the best pokemon game so you're just wrong.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

I'll be the poo poo head who says it but he's inappropriately dark to the point where if they actually localize him as the "real" Professor Oak there will be buzzfeed articles and memes and like "...whoah what really" reactions on the non-nerd internet

Like Professor Oak is one of the characters from Pokemon that non-nerds know of and he's not known to be black

Super No Vacancy posted:

blackface is in poor taste

Okay so I know I poo poo on a lot of posts in this thread for having dumb opinions on pokemon designs or just not being all that knowledgeable about comp play/the mechanics in game but can we all agree that these are the two dumbest posts?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Kelp Plankton posted:

and mamoswine has a mammoth's fur and tusks but its just a big goddamn pig because it doesnt have the trunk

But Mamoswine IS a big pig. It's name even has the word Swine in It.

He's a big old boar not a bad elephant

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

OP please add 'You can go hatless' to the OP cause we learned about it over 2 months ago and it still generates the occasional derail.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So Aether Foundation is all but confirmed for turning people into UBs/Attuning UB to people cause that Beauty one looks a like Aether Leader Woman in stance.

Can't wait to get MY Ultra Beast form so I can fight these guys and finally become Poke Kamen Rider.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mega-Sableye is the worst mega because it's the mega of choice for Stall teams, which are a blight upon the world of poke battle and an insult to John Gamefreak, creator of Pokemon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Everyone assuming Expansion is related to tiny Skull twinklord is dumb when it's clearly Aether Rusty Venture hulking out.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Actually its Wicke.

Not powerful or evil enough to be Wicke, who is clearly the dark heart of Aether.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Adder Moray posted:

1st thing: Gladion's color scheme and shoulder/collar spikes

The red on expansion matches default female PC's hat more than gladion's. Chicken-Chan is confirmed villain.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 13, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

LemonLimeTime posted:

Isn't everything non-human a Pokemon in this world?

I'm sure that the weird new monsters that look nothing like old pokemon designs that they're going out of their way to Not call pokemon are just pokemon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Kelp Plankton posted:

UB 02 Beauty is powerful

also that totally sounds like an Ability (opponent pokemon are infatuated regardless of gender) so i'm chalking that up as another point in favor of these being capturable

Having abilities just means they're combattable, not necessarily capturable.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

They probably rushed out the trailer to get ahead of the last leak

The last leak that was officially released yesterday when that issue of Coro coro went out...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, Gen V didn't have any because all the Pokemon were unrelated to the old ones. And for some reason, they thought limiting you to only the new Pokemon for BW's main game would be a good idea. Thank goodness they didn't keep that idiocy going for any future games.

Actually that was cool and rad cause you got to see a lot of new guys in action instead of pokemon you had seen and used for 4 gens previously.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Black and White's "reboot" idea was neat but it really seemed like some of the new pokemon were just old ones with a new coat of paint.

Every Gen 5 retread of a Gen 1 design idea is easily 100% better. Gigalith and Swoobat are miles ahead of Golem and Golbat.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

Uh excuse me Zubat is not an adorable psychic type with a heart nose. :colbert:

Yeah tha's what I'm saying. Swoobat is a better Bat than Zubat.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zore posted:

There are some big duds in Gen V too. Patrat/Watchog are super inferior Rattata/Raticate. Unfeazent is the only starter bird somehow worse than Pidgeot through either stupid stat or movepool allotment.

Also Hitmons>>>>>Sawk/Throh

Counterpoint: The Hitmos suck visually and Sawk and Throh are cool and good. And Raticate is pure wet garbo. Sorry haters.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zore posted:

Hitmons are cool and distinct visually and not Bert and Ernie in a kid's karate outfit.

Distinct only because they look like such crap compared to any other pokemon. They look like rejected DQ monsters.

Uh, have you seen Faticate?

Faticate is cute and already miles ahead of Raticate.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nth Doctor posted:

This here is a PhD thesis in good opinions.

Thank you for recognizing that I am the Pokemon Master.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Space T Rex posted:

Wow lots of bad onions I'm seeing!

Also I've never understood this argument. Simple design =/= bad design. They are pretty much pokeballs with eyes which makes no sense in like, lore. Like what are the odds? But in terms of just design they're pretty unique and interesting I think.

The argument isn't simple=bad it's that a lot of gen one pokemon are so simple they feel lazy and uninspired even compared to other Gen 1 pokemon. Charizard is simple dragon-like thing, Blastoise is a simple design of Animal+Feature, Whimsicott is a simple design (Cotton Boll+Sheep). Voltorb is an interesting gimmick (A pokemon that camouflages itself as a pokeball to hide from predators/trainers.) but they did it in the least imaginative, least interesting way by just making it a pokeball with angry eyes. The Amoonguss line is the same concept done in a way that's at least a step above in thought process and makes a bit more sense since it's a creature/plant that's evolved to camouflaged itself where Voltorb isn't anything. It's not an animal or a plant it's just a ball.

Similarly there's a few designs in every gen (though admittedly this happens more frequently in Gen 1-2) where the pokemon is just a normal animal but slightly stylized. Not enough to be an outright cartoon monster like the rest of pokemon but more than not at all. Dewgong is just an albino seal with a tiny tiny horn so that you know it's not actually just a seal. It's just lazy.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 15, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zoness posted:

hey at least voltorb and electrode are really fast!

Why bother with the camouflage then, if you can just Sonic Spinball out of there?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Calaveron posted:

What's the in game explanation for the discovery of fairy type and the reclassification of a bunch of Pokémon into it

"Fairy types showed up, that's weird."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zoness posted:

yeah but how do you justify steel suddenly not resisting dark and ghost~

please don't bother

Steel smelting recipes shifted thanks to a sudden strange event on Mt. Coronet making it harder to get ore out of the Shinnoh region so the Steel makers had to make due to keep prices competitive.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Giovanni left for Hawaii to find himself

Nah he went to live in a poo poo cave for 4 years until another 10 year old beat him up while listening to his idiot followers cry for daddy to get home. The fate a failure like Team rocket deserves.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So due to a friends request I'm trying to build a Trick room team around this guy because he can actually hit like loving truck if he doesn't instantly dies. Slowbro for set up and annoyance, and MegaAmpharos as a back up sweeper is all I have so far. Anyone have any ideas for the team?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

cancerianmoth posted:

You could try a trickroom/rain team- Doesn't he also have swift swim as an option?

Yeah but If I've got Trick Room up in Rain that will only gently caress Armaldo over and if I have just Rain up base 90 speed is still not great for a guy that's probably not gonna survive more than 2 hits.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

Let's run down the now confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt leak:

Ok so we've still got a Snowman line and Dolphin to see. And a new cat. And more Alolan forms.

Good poo poo, S&M

That leak is already deconfirmed by the official site. They've got Arcanine listed in the site pokedex and it's regular Arcanine.

You're also conflating two separate leaks. The Alola Alakazam and Arcanine one came out well after the 'Chinese Leak' that called Rugby monkey.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zore posted:

....is a degenerate move honestly.

Can I find more quality posts like this on your Alt Right Blogosphere presence?