Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That quiz is hard. I've got it narrowed down to like twelve and every time I eliminate one more it causes me physical pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I want there to be a Mega Girafarig. Such a good design deserves to see more use.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In X and Y, once you get into the back half of the game, wild encounters of new evolutionary lines tend to be already evolved.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nemo07 posted:

So I'm finally finishing up Alpha Sapphire in preparation for Sun/Moon and I'm just blown away by how many legendaries you have access to in the late-game. :psyduck: I've counted over 20 you can get without having to trade for other ones which gets you access to even more!

Was there a reason they decided to just dump a shitload of legendaries in the sky?

Because otherwise they wouldn't be obtainable in gen 6.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It wasn't until Alpha Sapphire (where I got a Voltorb and a Whismur randomly) that I encountered a shiny I didn't specifically plan for. I bred for a shiny Beldum in Black 2 - never again (after two full days, poor Multivac hatched with the wrong nature, because the Everstone only had a 50% chance of doing its thing). But any time I knew I'd be doing something repetitive like farming held items in a Friend Safari or chain fishing, I was ready with something to give it a good nature. So I have my red Gyarados named Vortigern, and my blue Braviary named Sam, and my yellow Luvdisc named Power of Luv.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

how does it decide wht kind of ball your shedinja goes into

I also wish to know this.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gen 2 is a land of contrasts. Many strong designs, many weak pokemon. Every new generation redeems a few old-timers, however, so hope springs eternal.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Man the card game has had some serious power creep since it was new, huh.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Stat changes end when you switch out, including ones caused by items.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Txn posted:

Yeah, I know that. I didn't use the Everstone but still had several adamants before the timid one hatched.

He means you should have used the Everstone with an ancestor of the correct nature.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Not many pokemon are "basically a liability" weak, and all but the very most limited can still leverage the element of surprise in order to create openings that teammates can exploit. Most pokemon fall in the area where the thing they do best is a bit narrow in its applicability, and the more general roles they can try to fill are better performed by something a bit more optimized.

But that's why you can have six of them. The secret to winning with your favorites is to understand how to use their unique qualities to maximum effect, bring answers to the things that could ruin their teammates' days, and most importantly, have a lot of favorites.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dreamy Souffle posted:

God, how did we survive the original RBY as children. I'm replaying Yellow on the VC for future bank shenanigans, and just sat there helplessly as Brock's Onix crushed my pokemon with Bind. Who allowed this!!

Catch a Mankey.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Calaveron posted:

What's the name of the legendary Z Pokemon and did they ever release him? Hell, are they done releasing all of the XY legendaries? Because I think I remember reading that it took them like three years to release the BW2 legendaries

Zygarde is available in X and Y, but its other forms were never released, and will only become available in Sun and Moon.

Of the others introduced in gen 6, they have released Diancie (Mega Diancie is only in ORAS) and Hoopa (Hoopa Unbound is only in ORAS), but not Volcanion.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 25, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I want Primal Relicanth.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

People keep saying this but wouldn't a primal Relicanth just be exactly the same

It would be visually identical, but stronger.

Not because Relicanth was stronger in the past, but because of the energy of the Brown Orb. Maybe some of the cracks on its exoskeleton would glow.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ALFbrot posted:

First-timer philosophical question: since I am a big baby newb, I have Exp. Share turned on and my team (Farfetch'd, Lucario, Pyroar, Steelix, Lapras, Chesnaught) is pretty solidly in the mid-upper-40s range (just past Lumiose City Gym) and hasn't had much trouble with just about anything to this point. I feel like I might be missing out on The Real Pokemon Experience by just sticking with them, but anything I encounter or catch is a good 10 levels behind and hard to justify swapping in without a big type advantage over the upcoming gym.

Am I playing the game wrong?

There is no wrong way to play, except one that isn't fun to you. But heed the above warnings.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Scratch-O posted:

Got my brother a 3DS and Omega Ruby for a going-to-college gift. We've been having fun trading version exclusives and spamming O-Powers at each other. He even hooked me up with an Abra, which I was having trouble catching.

Meanwhile, I'm only a Latios and a Groudon away from encountering everything in the Hoenn dex! Do you get the reward for capturing them all or just seeing them all?

Groudon isn't in; you'll need to trade or something. Latios requires getting the Eon Ticket through social features. Look it up.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Stoutland is a good fish.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

I don't know if this was mentioned when the hyper training anouncement was made

But competitive No Guard Fissure Machamp is now almost definitely meta

Watch as Battlespot becomes pure cancer :getin:

What announcement do you speak of? Machamp can only learn Fissure in gen 1 and 2, and it can only have No Guard in generations 5 and up. Hyper Training doesn't have anything to do with hidden abilities, unless there's been a new announcement. Also, don't say things like "pure cancer."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

Nintendo said that in the future you will be able to port friends from the Anniversary released Red/Blue/Yellow into Sun/Moon.

One of the main concerns was that there was no way to determine what IVs the Machamp would have.

But with Hyper Training that is no longer an issue

Yes, it's been known for a long time that the gen 1 games on Virtual Console will be compatible with Pokemon Bank. That doesn't mean the pokemon transferred from that game will have their hidden abilities. IVs aren't what cause Machamp to have No Guard.

Edit: Wait, I'm stupid. No Guard is one of Machamp's regular abilities.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

All we know is that the Magearna from the launch giveaway will be holding one.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Calaveron posted:

So like what's the metaphysical difference between a ghost-type pokemon and an actual ghost

What's the difference between a pokemon and a human?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think more pokemon are viable than most players realize. It's just that if you've got an 'em that specializes in fulfilling an uncommon strategic need and can pull off the more common one in a pinch, and another 'em that specializes in the more common role but can be made to do most of the less common one, then in a competitive standpoint there's little reason to choose the former over the latter.

Take Xatu and Espeon, as an example. These are two very similar pokemon because they're Psychic-type special attackers with Magic Bounce. If you've got an opening in your team for a Magic Bounce user, say because you have a sixth sense for when the opponent is going to try to launch some sneaky pebbles, these are your main choices. Xatu has a much better selection of highly situational support moves (though Espeon's certainly no slouch), while Espeon is much stronger and faster. Most teams can easily make room for a fast, strong special attacker. The particular combinations of support moves that Xatu can bring, however, are more specific and harder to fit in - and many of them are better provided by something that won't die as easily.

What matters is what fits in your team. If you want to use Xatu anyway, you can construct a team that Xatu's unique skills fit perfectly in, but it'll be hard to use. The mainstream competitive metagame isn't so much defined by the best pokemon as it is by the ones that are easiest to use well. And, of course, the popular ones become easier still because more analysis of them is published.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gen 2 has many strong designs and many weak fighters. You can get a Phanpy early in Crystal because it spawns on Route 46, but it doesn't spawn there in any of the other Johto games.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You can move items between generation 3 and generation 4, I think. You can't move items in transfers between later generations.

However, from generation 3 onward, the ball a pokemon was caught in is persisted, and it remains reflected even if you transfer it forward. So even though there are no Safari Balls or Moon Balls (for instance) in generation 5, if you transfer forward a pokemon that you caught in one of those in gen 3 or gen 4, it'll still use that icon in your team listing. (Additionally, if you trade from HG/SS to D/P/Pt, it won't display the icon because those balls weren't programmed in, but it will still "remember" it and display it correctly in gen 5 and onward.)

What's more, starting from generation 6, when breeding, the pokemon will inherit the ball it was caught in from its mother, unless the ball is a Master Ball or Cherish Ball or either parent is a Ditto.

So you can catch a pokemon in HG/SS with the most stylish of all the apricorn balls, then transfer it forward to X/Y/OR/AS, and pass it down through breeding in a way that gets you this good cosmetic feature and things like egg moves, good IVs, etc.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Geokinesis posted:

I caught my solrock in a dusk ball :smug:

Should've gone with a Moon Ball.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A non-damaging move with at least a 30% chance of inflicting Freeze.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

Ah, I was stuck on Ice type.

Can Gardavoir learn Tri Attack?

Nope.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

greatn posted:

Give dunsparce an evolution because what the gently caress even is he. The Pokédex says he is a snake what kind of loving snake is this

It's a tsuchinoko.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You should play the same color gen 5 games. Don't go crazy with post-game stuff but at least battle all the boss trainers and the Elite Four rematches.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think Knock Off would be best if its power were somewhere in between where it used to be and where it currently is.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

man is the real pocket monster

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Calaveron posted:

They absolutely were working on Pokemon Z right? What was the reason they shelved it?

Probably time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

dang

They should just stop doing remakes and third versions altogether.

I'd be okay with it if they remade the Sinnoh games.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Zombie Guy posted:

Been driving myself nuts trying to catch Azelf in Omega Ruby. I keep getting the little bastard down to 1HP and making him fall asleep, but he still breaks out of scores of Ultra Balls. Is it worth using my Master Ball on him, or is there a harder to catch target I should save it for?

Don't use your Master Ball on Azelf. But, you can do better than Ultra Balls. Dusk Balls at night, Timer Balls after 10 turns, and Quick Balls on the first turn all are significantly more effective than Ultra Balls. Give yourself, or get a friend to give you, a Catching O-Power before you start the battle.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

is there anybody in particular that I should use an ability capsule on. what poke has the greatest differential in ability quality

A shiny with the wrong ability.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I just hate it when I get a hacked one that is flagrantly impossible to get legitimately, like a gen 6 pokemon in a Dream Ball or a Mewtwo caught on Route 2 or something. That's just lazy!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Everything I like is bad, everything you like is good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Been running a 5 Ludicolos 1 Sudowoodo team on Showdown and I've made at least three people forfeit thanks to them not expecting a Ludicolo to know Ice Punch.

I wish to see replays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Reinanigans posted:

I also have 43 BP. It's 1 BP per battle at the Maison, right? What's the fastest way to grind up the remaining 157 BP I need? Triple/Double/Singles?

Yields increase the longer your streak is. Triples is slowest but safest; singles is bullshit. Unlock the Super variants.