Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

cool gen 2 pokemon (not including the starters or things that evolve from/to gen 1 pokemon) for your consideration:

mareep
houndour
chinchou
phanpy
larvitar
sneasel
wooper
misdreavus
murkrow
heracross

you can't catch five of these until the game is already over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

if it's a gen 4 game togepi is actually usable and becomes good

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Ka0 posted:

I love Jumpluff and its unique typing. Pangoro is a mediocre pokemon with an absurdly awesome movepool. Hope this helps.

pangoro is a way more usable pokemon than jumpluff and had a mediocre movepool until oras gave it decent stab and coverage

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I've always been disappointed that Glitch Egg never broke out in a big way popularity-wise

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

no enemy pokemon run out of pp in gen 1

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

You can only Warp Digivolve one mon on your team per battle and they can't hold a non-mega stone item

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Mega-evloution is clearly BURST Digivolution.

Learn the lore, Ruggs

I still have so much training to do...

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

pik_d posted:

Make it so there's a water move that does the fire status!

i will end you

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

I'm going to need some more explanation here.

I mean, over played pokemon since the Gen I release, but the newer gens have made a ton of improvements

in gen 1 freeze was a permanent status if you didn't have one of the fire moves that thawed it or had one of them used on you

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Zore posted:

At the very least I think Confusion should be in the realm of Paralysis etc. where it blocks the others. Give it a boost to 50/50 shot to attack regularly or hit yourself, make it not wear off when you switch out and have it scale off your higher attack stat.

I would also like to have a reason to quit playing pokemon

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

QuasiQuack posted:

Is there some cool teambuilding helper that will tell me about meta strategies I have no answer for? I'm so bad at this :ohdear:

look up a pokemon on smogon and it'll tell you its flaws and common counters at the bottom of the page

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

greatn posted:

Give dunsparce an evolution because what the gently caress even is he. The Pokédex says he is a snake what kind of loving snake is this

https://youtu.be/jLTJYxfljDs?t=16

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Geokinesis posted:

Ok, does anyone like:

Surely these are the most unlovable.

yes everyone.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

same

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

greatn posted:

Every single Cubone wears the skull of its dead mother who was killed.

cubone's mom is a ditto

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Countblanc posted:

not commenting on these particular ones (esp Conkeldurr who is Buffo the Clown but in a video game instead of irl), but for me i learn to love a lot of mons by using them. i honestly hated a lot of mons like Latias, Ferrothorn, the Genies, Mandibuzz, and Cobalion until I used them to clobber people, and now I think they're the bee's knees. similarly I used to think Gliscor was the baddest motherfucker in the world and now I wouldn't shed a tear if his source code mysteriously vanished from Game Freak's computers in a freak accident.

remember fling acrobatics gliscor

that was a fun week

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

they named the titanic pokemon titsarenice

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

daikatuna gets 118 base attack and sheer force and doesn't get waterfall smh

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

also its name is daikatuna

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Zoness posted:

well then it's appropriate that it's a letdown, right?

at least it gets iron head/tail and razor shell, which is just like waterfall that exists solely to be a worse move.

oh I didn't realize razor shell had a defense drop I thought it had a high crit rate for some reason

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Not sure if we've had this discussion already, but what are everyone's least favorite pokemon?

none of them

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

posting my favorite pokemon

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

How the gently caress is Ludicolo not on everybody's favorite list?

it's on mine

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Feranon posted:

expecting people to go through a tedious hours-long grind process to be competitive is dumb, and the thing that makes MMOs completely unappealing to people who aren't failed human beings. the only thing worse is pay-to-win schemes

they really should stop being cagey about stats and just give you the numbers and let you allocate them however you want like the pokemon sims do. maybe as a reward for beating the game. that would make things a lot more kid-friendly and maybe break the tournament scene open so it's not overrun totally by grown-rear end spergatron goonlords

the only big tournament in pokemon has brackets divided by age groups

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

also nobody in that tournament actually breeds pokemon because why would you

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

a short singles match on cartridge is like 18 minutes

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

CanUSayGym posted:

Let's just say that I am coming back to Pokemon from I don't know, Red and Blue, dabbled in Silver. Is there a non-encyclopedia form of information from all the new stuff or do I just need to scour Serebii and bulbapedia? Like holy poo poo there's like 40 different balls, so many new pokemon, items to be held, certain pokemon only evolve holding certain things at certain times; all of which throw me cause I enjoyed trying to fill the pokedex on the old games but theres 600+ more of them to catch. I'm looking for a laymans guide to all the new balls, items, and evolutions. I have read that an easy way to catch a lot of pokemon are either quick balls right away or a pokemon with False Swipe. I picked up X a while back but real life took over so I'm finally trying to out and quickly overloaded with all the new info.

just keep playing and you'll internalize a lot of it and realize some of it just isn't that important

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Mizuti posted:

I know a lot of people are pooh-poohing that Uranium fan game, but I gave it a spin and was really delighted by one of its mechanics. IVs and EVs are not hidden values and can clearly be seen on the status screen. Also, there are straightforward options for earning EVs and one doesn't even need combat! It makes me a lot more interested in breeding for higher quality babies and EV training, resulting in a lot more replay value.

Too bad there will probably never be a straightforward way to find these values out in the real games. :(

the games do have a way to look at your ev's, get them out of battle, and check to see what max iv's you have though

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

I agree that SuMo should have blitzball

blitzball was terrible

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Zuzie posted:

Mega Audino gains Healer, the subpar ability that regular Audino already has. Medicham is just regular Medicham squared. Glalie and Banette were given interesting gimmicks but requires dying to use effectively (Banette gets a Prankster Destiny Bond while Glalie has a Refrigerated Explosion). Even Pidgeot is gimped because of its crummy movepool and No Guard letting it get hit by things like Stone Edge.

Beedrill benefited from Mega Evolution the most since regular Beedrill wasn't worth using beforehand.

pidgeot gets a stab special never missing 110 base power move in one of the best attacking types in the game and mega-medicham is the best wall breaker in ou

both of them are better than mega beedrill because they can stay in without exploding

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

static is a v good ability on zapdos

it's no lightning rod but I'll take anything that completely fucks up talonflame's day

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

if i wanted to get into competitive a bit where would i start? the burden of knowledge seems absolutely insane

should i just make some teams on showdown and flail around for a bit to see what works

you could grab a team with guys you like off of smogon and use it while you learn on the ladder. if you run into a problem mon look it up on smogon and see its strengths and weaknesses and eventually you'll be familiar with the tier. I recommend OU to learn on since it has a smaller pool of viable pokemon so you're not overwhelmed by threats or choices once you feel comfortable enough to make your own team.

OR you could look up a mon you like on smogon, and there'll be a blurb at the end detailing pokemon that go well with it on a team and its counters and use that to build

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Oh man alolan rattata isn't supposed to have a moustache, it's meant to evoke the weird masks anime robbers wear in anime

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'd like to announce that alolan rattata will not be finding it's way onto my team as I do not want to aggravate the hardworking mons under my care

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

sharrrk posted:

what if raticate looks really cool tho

a real team of 6 PI's never puts aside its morals

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

zoroark is a kabuki fox and that's cool

lucario is a jackal with dreads and that's cool but i don't like the spikes. riolu is a good pupper

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Elfgames posted:

zoroark has a weird posture and it makes him less cool

i like the hunched over look because that dude is definitely a scheming rear end in a top hat

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

team flare pikachu is so clearly the best one

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Chandelure is so goddamn broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

oddium posted: