Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Wonder if Sun and Moon will make use of the N3DS' capabilities. The Gen VI games had some frame drops and slowdown issues. Hopefully there's less of that overall in Sun and Moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Stufful is cute and good.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zore posted:

Is this

Actually confirmed? It seemed pretty vague when described.

Also Sylveon sucks.

It's what this page seems to heavily imply.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Pentaro posted:

Quick question: How does the normal gem interact with move type-changing abilities? If I give one to, say, Sylveon and pick a Normal attack, will it get boosted before turning it into Fairy?

Won't work. Gems only work with moves after any types have been modified.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zore posted:

Cool and Good isn't a meme in the places admins actually read.

Also the word filter craze has died down a lot and is mostly limited to cucking, hth, im gay (aka GBS memes) and political poo poo now.

There's also Xbone, and that's mainly because of how bad the shark tank thread for that one got.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Don't use any of the new Pokemon. Only the old ones. Gen 1 for life. :colbert:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

According to this site my team of all-time favorites would be:

Are my tastes good, or poo poo?

You have Breloom in there. You're fine.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Technician. Bullet Seed is such an insane upgrade over Seed Bomb. :getin:

Technician also means that you do not have to run Stone Miss.

I hope Breloom remains good in Gen VII.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 20, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Stufful lore posted:

The truth is that Stufful doesn’t really like being touched. It hates being hugged tightly and will flail its arms in protest.

Bewear lore posted:

When Bewear is acting in a friendly fashion, just swinging its arms around, you must never dare to approach it carelessly. It is acknowledged to be a dangerous Pokémon, even within the Alola region. You may see warning signs posted near places it resides.

When Bewear grows fond of its Trainer, it may show that feeling in a fond embrace—but the force of that hug is tremendous! Trainers must teach these Pokémon how to restrain their strength when showing affection.

RIP.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 20, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Snowslash is explicitly stated to be slower than regular Sandslash. Its supposed to be more defensive, which is why they gave it a god awful type for defense! :shepface:

Maybe they finally buffed the Ice type! :v:

One can only hope. :negative:

Pureauthor posted:

What will everyones reactions be when Sun/Moon comes out and is revelaed to be completely terrible?

Dunno. Be disappointed, I guess? Also not sure what the point of the question is.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Team Skull's street gang motif makes me wonder if their goals are more down to earth than most of the other team's in Pokemon, given that Guzma's backstory was that he couldn't become a trial captain.

Zore posted:

Its literally 3 tiles of water blocking off Victory Road.
It was actually super annoying my first run because I wasn't using anything that learned surf so I was down 1 party member for Victory Road. Too many cool bugs and fossils.

Wait, what part of Victory Road does that happen in? Surf isn't mandatory for it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

He is talking about BW's Victory Road, which I cannot confirm since I haven't played BW.

Kalos's Victory Road DOES this though and it's really annoying since you only need Surf I think twice inside of it, and both times it's just a short body of water that someone could have easily built a bridge across.

The worst part is that Surf isn't a bad move, so for early gens I usually had a Mon with it. But since Gen V introduced Scald, and as a TM to boot, Surf has been largely overshadowed in usefulness.

BW's Victory Road does not have a mandatory Surf section.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

How strong do moves like Sword Dance actually make the pokemon? For some reason I always thought that "raises [stat] one stage" meant like as if it gained a level, but now i'm realizing the boost is way bigger, but I can't really find any hard numbers besides the fact that there's five stages to go to.

This page lists all the info about stats.

The short answer: Very.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

oddium posted:

A5Z4X Y43ENQ AH8KK

I didn't have time to go to Gamestop recently, so thanks for the Arceus!

Zuzie posted:

I do wonder how the species clause that most battling formats follow will deal with Alolan forms, as they're so different from the regular forms that they function like different Pokémon. Would you be able to use an Alolan Ninetales alongside its regular counterpart in an official match?

Rotom-A is a fairly different form than Rotom, but you're still only allowed to use one Rotom. So it'll probably still be in place.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 22, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zuzie posted:

It is a bit unusual that you're given that high an amount for something so simple. Does this mean that you're not able to re-battle trainers on routes? Many of the later games that don't have this option have alternate ways of making cash. Gen 5 had all that vendor trash that could be sold for absurd prices to the right NPCs who are willing to buy them. Is this Gen 7's solution?

Well, given that customization is back, there's probably lots of clothes to buy and such.

Either that or Alola is going through some severe inflation.

Dunno why this had to be showcased in a video and a black screen is really underwhelming. :effort:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Russad posted:

Isn't the dex entry for the cuke about how it dies when jerks move them?

No. Mainly that it sticks and tries return to its favorite spot no matter what, even if it means it'll starve to death. They're chucked back into the ocean so they can get some food, and because tourists find them ugly.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The 97 speed stat and the introduction of Fairies did it in during Gen VI. :rip:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Well the BP did get buffed from 85 to 120. So that's something, even if it isn't worth much. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ice type Pokemon were never really Dragon slayers though. Dragons usually had a fairly diverse movepool that could easily take down most of them. Dragon types feared Ice type moves since Pokemon that couldn't get taken down by them so easily could carry them. Ice didn't even resist Dragon type moves.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I was counting up to gen 4 as old gens in that post. I was thinking they didn't start adding mediocre dragons until gen 4 but I completely forgot that Altaria exists and is inexplicably a dragon. So I guess it has the dubious honor of being the first crummy dragon.

Gen 2 didn't even add a dragon type.

Well there's Kingdra, who was okay. But yeah, Dragon was pretty much just a stronger version of the Normal type back in the GB days.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

dude789 posted:

There's almost always a few pokemon who are surprisingly effective in ubers because they are so anti-meta for the metagame at the time. Bronzong seems to be one of the big examples this time around.

I remember when Shedinja used to be a classic for walling Kyogre and several other mons in that tier.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bartie posted:

With 700+ it's bound to have tiers and many pokemon are unevolved versions and so on, but it's not like there isn't room for improvement. League of Legends has over a hundred characters and manage just fine. I'm just saying that it's really boring watching Groudon vs Kyogre ad nauseum. :v:

When you're allowed to use almost anything in a competitive setting, it's pretty natural that a lot of people are going to be packing what are considered to be the strongest and best options.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Frozen is the most powerful status effect. There's a reason why it's hard to inflict.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Maybe just remove the 50% damage bonus? 20 BP is too horrible to make use of, but a 97.5 BP move that can remove items (which applies to nearly every Pokemon in a multiplayer battle) is really dumb.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

GlitchThief posted:

Eh, it doesn't affect me either way, especially since I don't play competitive in any sense. It's just sort of interesting to see the song-and-dance that goes around it. The impression I get is that everyone takes shortcuts (at least when the season demands the use of Legendaries), but enough people (including show-runners? unclear) regard it as cheating that no one talks about it.

There's the actual hack check to ensure that impossible movesets and abilities don't get admitted, but as for IVs and stuff like that, they don't seem to care unless it explicitly gets pointed out.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Maybe they should redesign the game \ VGC rules so that players don't feel like they need to gen or otherwise modify Pokemon with an external device to be competitive.

Serious question: how does the existence of IVs make the games better \ more fun? Maybe it makes them more "realistic" in that different Pokemon have different "genetics" and thus they are more unique? Oh yeah, and those stats are hidden, too. That sort of game design is only appealing if you're as autistic as the guy who invented Pokemon.

Yeah, that was pretty much it. They were designed as a way to make each individual Pokemon unqiue. Evidentally, they must've realized how dumb that was given that they're introducing Hyper Training.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zoness posted:

IVs definitely would get checked since they influence a pokemon's stats.

IVs and EVs, yeah. Though apparently someone got away with having a total of 512 EVs in VGC once? People made a big deal out of it despite it passing through the hack checker. There's also a bunch of junk bytes in a Pokemon's data that serve no purpose other than to tick off the hack checker if the Pokemon was hacked. But people have already figured out how to deal with those to fool them.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 30, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Spatula City posted:

actually, what happened was that a game store in Canada inadvertently sold copies of X and Y a week early, and several people started posting screenshots, and doing everything they could to find all of the new Pokemon. IIRC one of them was having trouble evolving Inkay, and then was like "no, wait, it couldn't be this..." and held the 3DS system upside down. SURE ENOUGH. Obviously people could have found out from game guides.

I'm not even sure if 3DS Pokemon games can be datamined in the way older Pokemon games were.

People have figured out how to look into 3DS games now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

I think natures since it's a flat +10 boost to stats that are being pumped up with EV training, as opposed to IVs being a potential 31 points and probably way less than that unless they're garbage.

You mean a 10% boost?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dunban posted:

http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/pulverizing-snorlax/

Sounds like unique Z-Moves also require the Pokemon to know certain attacks.

Z-moves are gonna have to be really good to justify giving up one moveslot and an item on a Pokemon.

Also Aether is totally evil. I mean they even have artwork of their grunts!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zore posted:

I wonder if its a normal pokemon or a Legendary/Gift/Eventmon? The concept seems a little too... specific and powerful for it to just be something you find on route 12 or whatever.

Or maybe its in that position like Phione/Carbink where there's going to be a Legendary 'perfected' version and Null's the breedject?

Type: Null is Gladion's partner Pokemon, so I doubt it's event only.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I can't wait to make friends and save the world with Team Skull.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

There's no way the Aether Foundation isn't evil, with Type: Null and UB-01 there's no way they aren't doing some freaky genetic modification stuff. I hope this means you eventually team up with your boy Guzma to take them down.

Also I want a Type: Null and UB-01 on my team.

Ultra Beasts don't seem to be Pokemon at all considering how the official website classifies them. They might just be boss only characters.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Chill Penguin posted:

Ultra Beasts = Fusion

Well their French name basically translates to Ultra Chimera. :tinfoil:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zore posted:

you don't feel like they just throw Luvdisc everywhere and call it a day like they usually do?

I hate so much that you can't permanently steal items with thief any more. Being forced to catch like a dozen Luvdisc is just :shepicide:

:confused: Doesn't Thief only temporarily steal items in trainer battles? Wild Pokemon should be able to have their items stolen.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zore posted:

Also it introduced the idea of the event TM which is uggggggggggggh.

Thank goodness that never took off. Also kinda funny how we never even actually got that event TM in the first place.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Reinanigans posted:

The move (Snarl) is loving dogshit anyway. :shrug:

The very idea could have led to worse. I'm seriously wondering what they were thinking there.

Though I guess it's a moot point since event only moves are a thing now, even if most of them aren't that great in the grand scheme of things.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

I really like the new team skull guy's theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR1ssSZfoGY&t=136s

You know, taking a closer look at Type: Null's helmet, that really doesn't look like Arceus' golden wheel thing. It's just a bunch of spokes sticking out of the neck area.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

If they were really doing that, they probably would have focused on showcasing two teams at once instead of just Team Skull.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Lusamine seemed pretty surprised at seeing UB-01. I doubt the Aether Foundation's involvement with Ultra Beasts is that shady or crazy.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zore posted:

To be fair, last we saw he jumped off a waterfall after getting his poo poo pushed in by another 10 year old.

That wasn't the sound of him jumping off. That was the sound of the radio turning on at the time.

Remember, these are games for children. There's no way Nintendo's letting Game Freak put in stuff like people committing suicide.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Geostomp posted:

I dunno, it might be interesting to fight some weird rule-breaking not-Pokemon as a boss battle sometimes.

If we're counting spinoffs, it's not completely out of the question, since in some of the Mystery Dungeon games, the final bosses weren't even Pokemon.