Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
It's pretty fun to discover what favorites lie beyond your #1, which I think most people are capable of identifying

I did this a while ago so I'm not too sure about the placement of Electivire and Forretress, because there are a few others trailing after them that I might like more. It would be worth retaking just to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I went back to White 2 this weekend to pick up things I was missing for my dex, and it really reminded me how much more that game had compared to XY / ORAS lategame. I'm running into level 70 Pokemon, there are things like Steelix and Kingdra in certain areas if you're lucky. I hope Sun and Moon has a hefty lategame, because that was one of my biggest disappointments from XY. Delta Episode was cool but took me all of fifteen minutes, and after that you're treated to the same fare as XY in the form of the Battle Resort.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The only shinies I ever caught were Spinda and Taillow in Ruby, and then a Magikarp in HGSS right before the Lake of Rage (oof)

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

Depends on Mimikyu's base stat total

Sad

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
He used to be pretty solid forever ago. I SR'd until I could get the one in BW2 to be Jolly+Mold Breaker

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Oh right. Fairies.

Honestly I keep forgetting they exist even though I am keenly aware that they do. I've thrown dragon attacks at Clefables in secret bases so many times.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I have yet to try a Nuzlocke. I was going to on Uranium but boy did that game kill my enthusiasm fast.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Senerio posted:

Nuzlocke Mode in Uranium is hilarious.

It enforces 1 Pokemon Per Route, even if you run into a shiny.

I'm not playing it, because I want to enjoy Uranium.

There's an option toggle to turn that particular feature off.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

EorayMel posted:

New Pokemon Colosseum/Gale of Darkness when

Never, hopefully

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
In my mad hunt for an Ekans to finish my living dex I ran into a shiny Bellsprout and then was immediately traded a very hacked shiny Bidoof moments later from some terrible streamer in Wonder Trade

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Just completed my National Dex! Now to figure out what the hell my next goal is.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Calaveron posted:

What's the name of the legendary Z Pokemon and did they ever release him? Hell, are they done releasing all of the XY legendaries? Because I think I remember reading that it took them like three years to release the BW2 legendaries

Zygarde?

And yes, all of the XY guys have been released in some form or fashion. Volcanion I don't think has seen a Western release yet but that'll change in October

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Imagine if they gave genesect a primal evolution so it doesn't look dumb as hell.

You mean Kabutops?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Kabutops isn't a bug type :colbert:

I meant more along the lines of the primal / ancient version of Genesect just being Kabutops.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Snap is among one of the few games that make me wish I had owned an N64

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
If Alolan Form Pokemon are the only type of that Pokemon you can catch on Alola (which makes the most sense and what everyone believes - if it was confirmed officially I just can't remember) I can just see them sticking another symbol on the Pokemon similar to the Gen VI hexagon that goes "oh, you can only breed pokemon with this same symbol with each other" to prevent some wonky egg move transfer.

Not that there would be a huge problem with many of them but Alolan Ninetales has weird potential.

That being said, that's just an idea and not something I think would happen.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Bartie posted:

I wonder if there's even the slightest chance of Gamefreak rebalancing the game for Sun & Moon. It's kind of sad that with over 700 to chose from only a handful are viable in competitive play.

That's really the case with anything competitive. Every meta is going to have things on top and those categories are not always large - especially at the very, very top, you're only going to see the most niche picks.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The meta in a game that is a very complex game of rock paper scissors, where you are just putting effects or damage on each other, is of course going to have less diversity than a game like DOTA or League.

Like people have said, competitive Pokemon is mostly mindgames and counter-strategies to the meta, like Wolfe had this year.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Ometeotl posted:

Golurk can learn fly. Checkmate.

He has rockets in his hands and feet because he's a mecha or something. It's shown in the anime, even in one of the movies, I think.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
When Kurt wants you to wait a day, is that an arbitrary amount of in-game time, or a real world 24 hours? Because I've got him making me five Heavy Balls and I gave him the apricorns about a week ago, but haven't played HGSS since then.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Fairly sure just a real world day, because imagine having to play or keep the game running for 24 hours every time you wanted to craft new balls

That was my assumption but it's been quite a while since I gave him the apricorns in the real world. My DS is super old but I just want some Heavy Balls and Level Balls for that sweet prestige in ORAS

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Rygar201 posted:

I thoughts you couldn't move items between generations?

Yeah I'm going to catch something in a ball and then move it and then breed it because I'm already Masuda Methoding for a Shroomish so I might as well prolong my suffering a bit longer by trying to fit it into a fancier Pokeball

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Magma balls or something that are good at catching fire types. Volt balls for electric. I dunno. New balls would be rad.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I am nearing 15 boxes of Shroomish on my Masuda run

I didn't want it to end like this

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Dexie posted:

Dunsparce is getting an evolution in Sun/Moon though.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3273472/drampa-is-dunsparces-evolution/

:v:

nope

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I can see Tortunator and Crabrawler being Sun / Moon exclusives, respectively. Like Durant and Heatmor, or something.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Serebii covered this earlier this week. Guidebooks have bonuses that come with them. One is a golden bottlecap, which maxes out all the IVs of a Pokemon. That image is indeed the IV spread.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

They called the "NUCLEAR"-type Eeveelution "NUCLEON"

You've got to be joking

Radeon is so much more obvious

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

it turns out the real dead mom is the friends we made along the way

Dead moms, living moms...

That is only the selfish perception of people.
Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Is there any evidence they were aiming for Z?

I mean, X/Y had hints at Hoenn in it, and it has at least two blantant Easter eggs that reference Alola.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

What were the Alola hints?

The Strange Souvenir is blatantly a Tapu something, and there's also a guy who pretty much references the artificial island in Alola.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 30, 2016

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Super No Vacancy posted:

I don't know what things youre talking about even. tapu? artificial island?

Each island on Alola has a guardian diety named a Tapu _____. See: Tapu Koko, the Guardian of Melemele island.

As for the artificial island, the Alola region has four regular islands and a small artificial one in the middle. No one knows what it is or what it's for, but the promos for the game keep saying "and one artificial island" so...

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The thread is gonna spiral into another whatever pages of bad posts if we talk about how everything I like is good and everything you like is bad again

Hacking is cool but I don't think I would want to do it for anything competitive (but I don't play VGC - and bottle caps should fix this). Honestly the only thing that grinds my gears is people requesting comp ready hacked shinies. Like why, that totally annulls the point of it being shiny if it's hacked.

With IV manipulation it would take the lesser part of an hour to get a comp ready pokemon through breeding and battling.

Some people wanna watch the world burn I guess.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Here we go again I am ready for another three pages of poo poo posts about who likes what

GlitchThief posted:

So just to be clear, the top VGC players are definitely hacking their Pokemon, right? That's what it means when one of them drops something like "you can't hack skill"?

I find it hard to believe people in the VGC have the patience to SR their restricteds until they have the right IVs and Natures. Regular mons I can see it going either way but no one has the patience for legendaries, especially when they're ubiquitous

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Yeah I would say VGC really only "promotes" cheating by allowing in a set of legendaries. So the IV + nature struggle, to make it competitive... You can imagine the obvious solution there.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Mizuti posted:

Manually having to run each Pokémon over and get them slowly examined one by one is tedious. Why not cut the middleman and have the option to see the actual values?

I don't know maybe ask Sun and Moon, which is doing that very thing probably

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Speaking of hatching shinies I am about 900 hatches into my Masuda+shiny charm attempt and I'm starting to lose my mind

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

HalfHazard posted:

Don't count, just hatch.

I only started looking at my total after far more time than I expected passed

Today's the day though...

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

cancerianmoth posted:

your expectations are already set to high. haha. Good luck though. Ever since playing Gold and Silver, I've only ever gotten 1 shiny.

I've gotten a few in my time but the odds for what I'm currently doing are 1/512. Which means 3000 hatches later maybe I'll have one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

oddium posted:

if your shiny breloom isn't in a fast ball then your efforts were misplaced to begin with

Level Ball, actually. Or it will be. Same orange theme, I just liked the design a bit more.