Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!

I can't decide between Venusaur and Heracross as my favorite pokemon. They're both my bros that have been with me since Leaf Green. Mudkip is a great pokemon, Duskull is a super neat design, a single Furret carried my team through an entire Gold nuzlocke, and Honedge is too cool not to have on my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
Team Rocket is probably my favorite evil team. Giovanni was a cool villain who didn't have some moment of realization or a heel face turn. He was confident in his beliefs until the end, and I really like the way HGSS expanded on his story. I might be mis-remembering some of this, though.

The original Team Plasma and Team Galactic were probably the closest the teams got to being that good, I think.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
I guess Team Rocket was kind of lame if you look at it like that, yeah. I kind of wrote off the losing to a ten year old as it being a kid's game, but you're right, the other teams were dealing with higher stakes than just occupying buildings.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
My first shiny was a shiny Wurmple I caught in the bug catching contest in HG/SS. I still came in third :(

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
I don't miss a lot of gen 1 mechanics, since most of them were buggy garbage, but I do miss some of the goofier moves being on TMs. It was no use in the end game, but it was pretty cool being able to teach Water Gun to Ratatta, Pay Day to Pikachu, or whatever.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!

Zore posted:

I really, really hate those two assholes with the Furfrou double battle on the way back from Poke-Versailles.

They are the worst. You'd think that furfrou wouldn't be that big of a deal, since it's kind of a poo poo pokemon stat-wise, but Fur Coat HURTS when most of your moveset at that point is physical.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wait, for real?

He claims he took a cigarette from a stranger in the woods, it got him high or something, and he staggered out into the streets. He had the cops called on him and he was eventually arrested. I don't remember hearing the part about assaulting a cop.

EDIT: He never went to prison or anything. I think he won his trial.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!

All the Barbacle hate in this thread is disappointing.

Also, while Alolan Rattata looks a little disappointing, Snorlax's z move is loving awesome.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
Speaking of good Gen V music, the Desicive Battle theme gave me chills when I first heard it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_99vKUhKR8w

Same for the theme that plays when you meet Professor Rowan in DPPt

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
I mostly just give my mons normal sounding names, with more extravagant names for more special mons, and I always use the same names for the same mons in most of my playthroughs (i.e. 90% of my female butterfrees are named Mary, male Espurrs always get Kain, etc). It's boring, but I like it.

The only nickname I'm really proud of was Purmple the shiny wurmple

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
I hate that a bunch of the side-stories in Conquest are now unobtainable because you had to download them from nintendo wi-fi.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!

ConanThe3rd posted:

To be fair, Porygon nearly destroyed the franchise. I wouldn't begrudge anyone involved wanting to bury it as hard as possible.

The saddest thing is that the seizure explosion was Pikachu's fault. Poor Porygon was a scapegoat.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
WatchDaBirdie over at NeoGAF is finishing up his review of the Pokemon. I've been following it since day one, it's an amazing piece that goes into the gameplay significance, inspiration, and anime appearances of all 721 Pokemon and their forms. It's pretty exhaustive, and while the early entries are kind of rough, they get really good around gen 2. Link here (Sorry, phone posting and can't remember the code snippets): http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1120680

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I am going to nickname my Tsareena "Alena".

Chiming in to say I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of this.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
Psychic being good against poison is one of the only ones that really gets me. I get bug > dark because of Kamen Rider and such, but are psychics really that well known for their ability to heal poison? I'm probably missing something obvious, but I don't *think* I've ever heard of that.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!

Ruggington posted:

silver being giovanni's son was hinted in the post-game for fr/lg and was a part of the celebi event in hgss

G/S are the only pokemon games I've never played, so until HGSS came out, I had always assumed that the "red-haired" individual rumored to be Giovanni's son in that book from FRLG was Lance

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
I've been itching to replay Gale of Darkness, but I want to make the game a little/lot harder. I'm a bit bored of Nuzlockes at the moment, so I'm thinking of not purifying any shadow pokemon. I don't know how likely it is to succeed, since there doesn't seem to be a record of anyone doing this on the internet, but I figured it'd be at least worth a shot? I dunno.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
My favorite memory of the Bug Catching Contest will always be catching a shiny Wurmple and coming in, like, last place.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
One of my favorite pokemon memories is actually pretty recent, despite having been playing the games religiously for 15 years. I was doing a blind Nuzlocke of Moon, and made it all the way to the Champion, when Kukui's Incineroar hit my ace with a Z-Move, with the rest of my team in shambles. I resigned myself to defeat and sent out my Gastrodon in a last ditch effort to maybe get a single turn off to heal a mon capable of *maybe* dealing with the Incineroar. Instead the Gastrodon facetanked *five* Darkest Lariats at 1 HP thanks to his affection, giving me time to heal up the rest of my team and even switch out to a pokemon capable of killing the loving cat. Gastrodon won me the game, and since then I've become a lot more fond of it.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
Just finished my nuzlocke of Ultra Moon. Probably the most twists and turns I've had in a nuzlocke run. My team wiped three times, first to Totem Togedamaru, second to Guzma's loving monstrous Masquerain in the park, and third to Plumeria in front of the Aether House. At that point I was out of usable pokemon, and about ready to give up, until I realized I had one last chance in the form of a level 33 Magikarp. That fish and I clawed our way back out of hell and managed to stomp the entire region flat.

The final team was:

Baby, the level 66 Gyarados: Baby pulled me out of a tailspin and made it so I could beat the game. I've never really cared for Gyarados since I'm a poo poo head iconoclast, but this run really sold me on its power, at least. One of two of the team's linchpins.

Gilgamesh, the level 67 Krookodile: Gilgamesh was a real powerhouse. Between him and Baby having Moxie, I could nerf physical attackers into the ground by pivoting between the two at critical moments. Gil also complemented Baby well in that he could soak up electric attacks. Easily the most powerful member of my team for a very, very long time.

Tina, the level 63 Lurantis: Tina didn't do much, mostly because she was defensively not super great and has a lot of weaknesses, but when she found a battle she could fight without danger of being KO'ed, she really kicked rear end.

Ray, the level 64 Crobat: Ray was mostly there to poison Totem pokemon and kill Fairies, but he did a loving great job at it. I don't know how I would have beaten Totem Ribombee without him.

Darner, the level 68 Yanmega: Darner was a super late-game addition caught in Ultra Space and didn't really contribute much other than hitting Dark types really hard, a thing the rest of my team couldn't do super well.

Epsilon, the level 69 Dusk Wings Necrozma: I felt kind of lovely relying on a Legendary in a nuzlocke, but I probably could have beaten Olivia without Epsilon, given that the entire rest of my team is weak to rocks and bug attacks. Epsilon ended up being a crutch, but one that my hastily cobbled together team needed.

This was probably some of the most fun I've had with a nuzlocke. Lots of twists and turns, and the game itself is just super solid. I did end up a bit overlevelled, but I super duper didn't want to lose that late into the run.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
People seem to be giving these supposed leaks a lot of credit, are they from a notable leaker or something? Integrating with Pokemon Go seems kinda unlikely considering it's Niantic's baby, and on the whole it sounds like general wish fulfillment/making people on the internet mad stuff. Maybe I don't have the context of who the leaker is or where the leaks came from, but it all seems very unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
Yo, peep how bad Nintendo Life’s opinions are: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/11/guide_the_best_pokemon_games_-_every_mainline_pokemon_game_ranked