Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Showdown got hacked. Or ddos'd who knows. I wanted to try out my new and improved grass team that doesn't die (or lose).

Have this tangrowth pic instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Don't choice band your posts.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I'm thankful those posts led me to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v6Kurn0HLk

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Luso Clemens is the coolest chap.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Look at all of these fantastic and exciting new additions that smogon is immediately going to ban because THE METAGAME!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

There's a mimikyu inside every pokemon.
Except charizard maybe.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

What's the point of shell-smashing Gorebyss if I can't baton pass it to luvdisc or surskit. Thanks a lot smogon.
Coil sucks.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

The genies discussion you guys are having already is longer than the design team meeting that put them in the freaking game.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Change the naming. Red-> Scarlet Green-> Chatreuse

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

tbp posted:

hm, sort of. you are certainly correct in a turn-by-turn and number-of-usable-moves kinda way. but in practice that isn't as much the case.

take for example vgc 16. there was what, 5-6 teams to contend with (lumping together those with extraordinairily similar composition). vgc 15 i think was even worse, with all the japanese top cut guys using the same thing over and over. a metagame that allows super ultra centralizing pokemon tends to, well, centralize around them - so if you want to excel in VGC you need to be able to handle fewer teams with your own.

even if you take JUST oras ou, there's waaaay more you will need to contend with. take the concept that each tournament match in OST (the flagship "current gen OU" tournament) is bo3 and then later bo5, as well. in VGC, teamlock rules are in effect. so you may lose g1 of the bo3 but figure out some tech on the opposing team, and be able to apply that g2 and 3. in OST, you can play hard-stall focus around mega sableye g1, Diancie hyper offense g2 and baton pass g3. simply put the number of strategies usable in any given series increases in a singles tournament, the way that they are currently organized.

additionally when comparing the two as tournaments (so worlds vs smogon tournaments) you should also note that smogon tournaments get a bit more complex with tiers, as well. VGC is ALWAYS "current ruleset VGC". in Smogon tournaments, you may be playing in OST (bo3 current gen OU), Smogon Tour (bo3 ORAS, BW2, DPP), Classic (bo5 BW, DPP, ADV, GSC, RBY) or Grand Slam (bo5 Ubers, UU, RU, NU, PU, LC, Doubles drop 2 tiers).

basically what i'm trying to get across, while the complexity of a given turn might be higher in VGC compared to most smogon tournaments (you have to outright exclude anything including Smogon Doubles OU, which is by nature more complex turn by turn than VGC, and always will be), the complexity of a given series is pretty heavily in favor of the latter the way that they are currently organized.

I have not a clue about what you are saying and I've never been happier to be ignorant.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Mega loppuny is pretty op.
Mega charizard Y also.
Why was greninja made uber-only? I get that protean is broken but its stats are not outstanding.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Not using hidden power should be encouraged always.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Showers will forever be my favorite japanese equivalent name.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

XY leveled down from all the babies complaining about losing to brock or roxanne over and over.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Grassassin's creed confirmed.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Dragon is a terrible attacking type anyway. Just like steel.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I'm glad we can all agree that 4's deviantartesque plot of destroying reality is the worst story.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

It will be fire/fighting again (and remain so forever) because it saves GF the effort of creating new fire types. Also whatever new typing is created will automatically be super effective against bugs because they're truly a bunch of assholes.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

They made Muk look attractive and interesting, this game cannot do anything bad.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I just got scammed on ebay trying to buy white 2 again.
Would someone who is not a scammer nor a thief please sell me a complete copy of white 2.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

My A button thanks gamefreak for getting rid of HMs.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Ban the weather wars. As was agreed in the Unova Treaty, signed 2012.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Everyone hates Primarina so in keeping with my underdog tradition it'll be my starter.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Why does japan get to pick between all those different 3ds colors and we're stuck with drab red and black only.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Typlosion is not a rat and owls are not completely extinct, whoever made that chart is an imbecile.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

What's the list with version exclusives (if there's one yet) I just want to be sure, I'm going sun so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I'm hosed because with Primarina and Bruxish that's 3 guaranteed water types on my first team though.