Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I finally went and beat Blue version on 3DS last night. I rolled up to Indigo Plateau with my party in the low 40s, one of them not even fully evolved (Dragonair), and a couple others without their final movesets. (Why do you learn Sleep Powder so late, Venusaur, why?!)

But I decided "gently caress it. Let's see how this goes!"

So long story short, that was the lowest level I've ever beaten the Gen 1 Pokemon League. Barely had any guys faint, even. My Slowbro ended up the highest level at the end (46), and really could have solo'd the whole thing if I'd let him. But that's boring, so I didn't do that. It was hilarious watching Lance's Dragonite flail ineffectually with Barrier while my Venusaur's Leech Seed and Toxic combo just made his health... disappear. Like, he used a Hyper Potion and his Dragonite was dead the very next turn. Hilarious!

Team Break the Game was a huge success! But now I really wish I could use these guys in Pokemon Stadium or something, to really test them out against something besides the dumb-as-dirt AI. I mean... Stadium's AI was still dumb as dirt, but at least their Pokemon had real movesets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

All Gen 2 pokemon are bad and should honestly just be put straight into the trash and forgotten.

Wow, rude. Very, very rude.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Txn posted:

Please don't bully my slugma, she's just shy.

And I got several Adamant slugmas in a row so I went "gently caress it, timid will have to do".

In the future, if you have a Pokemon hold an Everstone while breeding, its offspring will have the same nature as it, 100% of the time.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

oddium posted:

sometimes i think this thread is looking at something other than how cute/cool a monster is

Shameful, isn't it?

Solumin posted:

I'm finally getting around to finishing up my 12 Pokémon run of X. I'm at the Elite 4, and I'm very conflicted about who to bring. I want all my friends to be in the Hall of Fame. :ohdear:

Also trying to find a set for Kingler (my "starter") that has good coverage and good power is a little frustrating! He has Crabhammer and Sword Dance, which is a pretty solid foundation, but Knock Off and Metal Claw are a little weak despite the coverage they give.

So do it twice! Pick 6, beat the Elite Four with them, then go back and beat them with the other 6. Then all your friends can be in the Hall of Fame!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Magikarp is a fish but Gyarados isn't

I always thought Gyarados resembled a deep sea viperfish.

It is most definitely a fish. Know what else is a fish? Kingdra.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Anaranjado posted:

Oh I appreciate it but I don't want any special effort put into it, haha. I don't have any IRL friends who play this, they all like Go and that's about it. Begging on forums is about my only way to get anything done wrt trades

It should also be piss easy to get one off the GTS. Put up any semi-rare thing (starters, Eevees, fossils, whatever), ask for a Feebas. I guarantee you'll get one within 24 hours.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Dabir posted:

The ones that stick are physical ailments, the ones that don't are mental. Easy!

Yeah, but sleep isn't purely physical, and attraction is a little of both.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

oddium posted:

i have a female deerling of every season in a heal/nest/repeat/premier ball respectively if anyone wants one

I did this too, in those exact balls I think. It took awhile, and I had to start over at one point because I accidentally left a Deerling in my party when I the season changed over. :doh:

Sawsbuck is cool and pretty and good and my friend. I used one in White2 named Murdeer.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Redeye Flight posted:

YO I'm not going to let this post get lost in the sea of talk about hardcore stats. This owns and you keep doing it. KEEP THE MIROR DREAM ALIVE

E: Could be a great gimmick team to run, team exclusively of dance-based Pokemon. Ludicolo, Bellossom, Maractus, Meloetta...

In Sun and Moon you get that dancing bird (whose name escapes me at the moment), which is badass as hell and has 4 different forms with different types! Making an all dancing team is totally viable now.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Super No Vacancy posted:

oh they just had another one this is like pretty easy huh

edit: welp there's three guess I'm in the phione farming business now

Some things to keep in mind for breeding that make it go faster (not that you're having trouble) are:

Pokemon of the same species make eggs more often
Pokemon with different Trainer IDs make eggs more often
Pokemon of the same species with different Trainer IDs make eggs the most often
Pokemon of different species, but still in the same egg group, and the same Trainer ID WILL eventually produce eggs. It just takes longer. As long as the Daycare person says anything besides "The two prefer to play with other Pokemon," you will get an egg.

The Key Item called the Oval Charm, which you get from the Professor for completing the Regional Pokedex, makes Pokemon produce eggs more often across the board.

Also, females pass down their Pokeball to their offspring; genderless Pokemon cannot inherit Pokeballs by any means whatsoever. :( This makes me sad.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

There's also the variation of Nuzlocke called Wonderlocke, where you Wonder Trade the first Pokemon you catch in each area, optionally Wonder Trade any Pokemon that faints.

I started one of those in Alpha Sapphire, and very early on I got Wonder Traded a HA Eevee with Hyper Voice. I realized I could steam roll the whole rest of the game with that...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Super No Vacancy posted:

so all my fellow pokemon masters, how do you have your pokes sorted. have you got em just chilling loose in pokebox and use the search function to find poo poo or waht. i kinda wanna put mine in numerical order

I sort mine loosely by number. Loosely, because I put later-introduced evos and prevos and whatnot with their originals instead of way at the rear end-end of the Pokedex where I'd never think to look for them.

Alternate Formes and such just go in there like normal, and hidden ability 'mons. I have a separate box for shinies.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

McDragon posted:

Wow, well done. I can't even get past like three. I am just poo poo at it.

Thank gently caress for Head It

I'm only mediocre at Head It and absolutely abysmal at the puzzle one.

Berry Picker, though, that poo poo is my JAM.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Nessa posted:

Not a big fan of Nightwolf there.

Daywolf looks pretty great though.

My thoughts exactly. Daywolf is cute; Nightwolf looks like it's trying too hard to be Zoroark 2: Zoroark Harder.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Birds are bipedal therefore they are automatically bad, kill all birds

This is incredibly rude. You are rude. :mad:

Bongo Bill posted:

What's the superior nickname for a Blaziken: "Foghorn" or "Col. Sanders"

I named mine Sriracha.

See?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Kelp Plankton posted:

but then animal crossing will be inverted

its a no-win scenario

You can set the time in Animal Crossing independently of the system clock!

Anyway, getting Sun myself. Everyone else I know is getting Moon. Somebody has to get them the Sun version exclusives!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah that really wasn't a good move, preventing people from using any of the old Pokemon in case they didn't like any of the new ones. Especially with incredibly divisive designs such as the Klink, Trubbish, and Vanillite lines.

There were, what, 150ish Pokemon introduced in Gen V? With some of the strongest and best designs ever?

If you couldn't find any you liked out of that, the problem is with you, not with the game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Nessa posted:

Agreed. Gen 5 is overall, the strongest gen in the series.

It's impossible to make a Pokemon game with 100% great designs, because a lot of it comes down to taste. You might not like Trubbish, but someone else finds it charming. It's okay to not love every single design because they weren't all designed for you.

However, if you can't find it in your heart to love:

Chandelure
Cincinno
Whimsicott
Lilligant
Scolipede
Leavanny
Golurk
Hydreigon
Volcarona
Reuniclus
Braviary
Cofagrigus
Eelektross

Then you're really missing out.

Definitely agreed, but you forgot my personal favorite from Gen V, my best bud Archeops.

Also Joltik.

And Scraggy. Oh poo poo. And Sandile! And don't forget Blitzle, the electric horse to Ponyta's fire horse!

drat, Gen V had some amazing Pokemon.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zore posted:

there is only one bad Eeveelution.

and it isn't Flareon, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon or Glaceon.

Come over here and say that about my friend Sylveon. :mad:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

notoriousman posted:

Now I'm curious as to all the different fruits, vegetables and plants the various berries reference. Some are really obvious (especially the anagrams), but others not so much. What is Kelpsy referencing?

Kelp.

I could probably list off what all the berries are because I learned them all, but I'm tired.

If no one else does it by tomorrow, I'll rattle them off.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Kelp Plankton posted:

blaziken is really awful and im confused why anyone would have it anywhere near the upper half of their lists let alone #1

its like the only starter i actively dislike. everyone else has their appeal but blaziken is this mutant-faced disco pants thing, it looks like a bootleg version of itself

Me. I'm the weirdo. Blaziken is my favorite starter. It's a kung-fu kickboxing chicken that barbecues its own drumsticks. I mean come on.

According to that Tumblr my top 3 are Blaziken, Delphox (though I like Braixen better), and Greninja.

Bottom 3 are Emboar, Feraligatr, and Infernape. I stand by my opinions.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

I may have played the original Game Boy Color games as a kid, but nostalgia be hosed, the original 8-bit versions of Gen 1 and 2 are almost unplayable now and I think X\Y and OR\AS are the best games in the whole series. Yes, I just said a game set in Hoenn, that region with all the water, is the best game in the series. And I never even played RSE on the GBA so it's not rose colored glasses talking here, either.

The Hoenn games have always been the best.

quote:

I also enjoyed Gen 5, too.

I didn't think this was a controversial opinion? :confused: If it is, then anybody who thinks otherwise can fight me.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ruggington posted:

get this: move the rocky helmet onto rough skin garchomp, give the band to azumarill, and give serp a life orb

Rough Skin Rocky Helmet Garchomp is powerful. I have that on my best buddy Garchomp. She's the best.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

sharrrk posted:

catching them all in one attempt is one of the most badass things you can do in a pokemon game

Ohhh yeah. I did that. No way was I leaving with a single Pokemon uncaptured!

After that slog, I really didn't have any desire to play the game again...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If you don't respect the quiz and it's decision you shouldn't play Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

The game is not my real mom and it can't tell me what Pokemon I have to be. :mad:

FishBulb posted:

I'm going to pick poplilo just because everyone hates it but he deserves love

I am sorely tempted to do this myself, but I really want Litten. :( Fortunately, one of my friends is for sure picking Popplio and she has already promised to breed one and trade it to me so it can also be my friend.

All this Popplio hate reminds me of the Oshawott hate back in Gen 4, and that was the only time I've ever picked the water starter on my first run. Oshawott rules and so does Popplio!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

Would I be unable to play an imported copy of Pokemon Black 2 on a 3DS/2DS from a different region?
If so, would it work with the Poke Transporter app?

I played a French copy of Black on my American 3DS. You should be fine. I THINK it would still work with the Transporter app, but I admit I never actually tried to get any of my French duders...

AlphaKretin posted:

Frankly it's the meat of the game. I'm pretty sure there's even another one with your main character to tie things up at the end.

I never made it that far. I played 3 or so side stories... and they all play out pretty much the same. You capture all the regions. The only difference is where you start, so I got burned out. Still plenty of content and I enjoyed the game immensely.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Nitramster posted:

How viable is it to go through X/Y and ORAS with a full team of 100's from the promotions this year? I know they'll disobey half the time but I just wanna go through the story on each game before the new one comes out and I started X/Y a few months ago and got distracted after the second badge and just wanna plow through it this week. I was collecting every new pokemon that came along but I realized that was going to take too much time for me.

Anyway, should I just put together a team of mixed types from what I have now and push through with that or go the full 100's (and probably my fire starter)?

If you just want to sleep walk through the main game just to be done with it, you're better off just powerlevelling your starter. It will always obey you and you'll be able to nuke pretty much everything. Just catch a couple throwaway guys to teach HMs to and you're golden.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Volcanion is another card distribution. If you want one, better get there early! I just got mine. Can't wait to have an absolutely full Pokedex just in time for S&M!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

oddium posted:

aloha crobat is small enough to sit on your shoulder like i originally imagined

All Pokemon should either be small enough to sit on your shoulder or big enough to ride on. Nothing in between. :colbert:

VolticSurge posted:

Personally, I think that replacing Mega Forms with these "Stands" is a mixed bag. On the one hand,you don't need to fumble around looking for the requisite stone. On the other hand,the Pokemon uses the Stand to fight on its behalf. That is kinda redundant. Then there's the Champion's stupid gimmick-His *insert OP Fighting type here* can,like stop time or something and get a whole buncha free hits. It feels like the only way to beat him is if you happen to get a Pokemon whose Stand can also stop time,but that's so RNG-reliant.

I see this term a lot. What the gently caress is a stand?!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

MissileWaster posted:

Yes, GameXplain confirmed this in the Q&A vid. Apparently you get it pretty early on too, but they couldn't remember when you get it in gen 6 so they couldn't compare. But yeah within the first 1-2 hours.

Oh, thank Christ. I already want to use waaaaaay too many Pokemon. Silvally just earned a spot on the team and so did Tsareena.

drat it, November, get here faster!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

What kind of degenerate uses Keldeo

I used the Mystery Gift Keldeo in White 2. He was a good friend.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Whew. I had been avoiding this thread since the demo dropped, but I finally caught up again! I beat the game this weekend. This was my team:

Nyasha banks, Villeplee, Firedancer, Yuki, Great Wroggi, and Pikaboo.

Of course those were just the guys I brought to the Pokemon League. In total I used 15-18 guys on rotation with the EXP Share on at all times. I actually ended up slightly underlevelled and had the hardest time I've ever had against the Elite Four since like... Gen1.

I ran out of Revives! Against Kukui it was down to just Great Wroggi and Villeplee against his last two Pokemon. Wroggi hung on by 1 HP TWICE (thanks, Pokemon Refresh!) letting her take out his second to last Pokemon with Toxic. Then Villeplee finished off his Ninetales with Flash Cannon. Phew! Really tense. Great game!

Now I'm at the tail end of the Ultra Beast quest. I've bred a few things but nothing terribly interesting. I've been using Castforms to be lazy about filling up my Alola Dex. Next I'll be going after the Tapus.

I am also very interested in these Beast Ball and Apricorn Ball Pokemon that people have worked so hard to get, but I have practically nothing to offer for them. :( And I would want like.... all of them for my collection. Might have to wait until Bank updates. I have tons of good stuff in Bank to give people!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Note Block posted:

My Mimikyu is also Pikaboo and my Ninetales is Yukimarimo. How do you do, fellow good names friend? :tipshat:

Also at this point, speaking for myself at least, I'm totally willing to give away good Pokemon for trashmon in return. Don't feel like you have nothing to contribute so you shouldn't be trading with the big boys and girls.

Giant Boy Detective posted:

We've been poke-lady-bros for like ever, Silver. I don't have a ton of time for breeding until at least Sunday, but let me know if there's anything from my lists (on the Great Goon Pretty Ball Spreadsheet) that you're jonesing for first, and we can find time to trade next week! Anything at all. :)

Thanks, both of you. :3: I would feel better about it if I could offer something, so I'll have a look at that Beast Ball/Apricorn Ball spreadsheet tomorrow and see if I can get some things folks don't have yet!

Note Block, do you still need a Marrill in a Lure Ball?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Note Block posted:

My columns are out of date but I'll be sure to update them tomorrow!

I am champing at the bit to breed :perfect: Lure ball Marill for myself and all goons, it is the perfect ball for the perfect Pokemon. If no one has any by Saturday I'm just going to use my own ball and make the ultimate sacrifice for the greater good.

Hmm. They're a Saturday Island Scan. I'm going to be busy on Saturday, so I'm not sure I'll have time to track one down. I'll do Beast Balls instead. No one has done Corsola or Klefki yet, looks like. I'll go for 'em.

One thing to consider is that a lot of Pokemon are available in Apricorn Balls in HG and SS, and since they changed how Pokeball inheritance works, that means male, male-only, and genderless Pokemon caught in Apricorn Balls in HG/SS can be brought up to SuMo once Bank updates.

For instance, I have tons of Heavy Ball Skarmories just sitting in Bank. Might be best to focus on new Pokemon for the Apricorn Ball project, or ones that were unavailable in HG/SS.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 9, 2016

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

What nature does Guzzlord want? I'm stumped. He looks like he's trying to be Blissey v2, but the difference is Blissey actually has decent special defense, which is why you run Bold with her.

Adamant? Modest? Say who cares and go Quiet or Brave? That 43 speed isn't doing him any favors either.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

OK! My morning Beast Ball hunt was successful. I got a Corsola and a Klefki in their nice new Beast Ball homes.

Corsola only took me one Beast Ball. :v: Klefki was more like 10 but whatever. I got 'em! I can breed them for folks in exchange for YOUR Beast Ball (and maybe Apricorn Ball) Pokes!

EDIT: Checking the sheet, it's criminal that no one has caught a Luvdisc in a Love Ball! I might go do that myself... They're a swarm Pokemon in HG/SS, which is a pain in the rear end, anyway.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 9, 2016

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Welp, I accidentally arrived early to a lunch date so I used my time productively and Beast Balled a Cottonnee! Can't update the spreadsheet right now but I will when I get home!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

All right. The Beast Ball/Apricorn spreadsheet was lacking Love Ball Luvdisc. This has now been corrected. Hit me up if you want some love!

Or anything else I've caught in Beast Balls. Give me your Apricorn/Beast Ball things! I made a box for them and everything, called BEAST MODE.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

One box? Oh, you sweet summer child :allears:

(I can't decide if I'm going to keep my old living dex intact and have a separate living beast ball dex or just replace the mons in my old boxes with the new BB mons)

For now, anyway. I just dedicated space to them, is all. I figure when Bank updates, I'll make a separate section for Beast Ball 'mons. I worked too hard on Fashion Balling other Pokemon to just give all that up. Not everything looks best in a Beast Ball. Still want to collect them all though.

Anyway, I'll start by breeding a few each of my Beast Ball Pokemon. Would all you other Beast Ball havers let me know when you're available to swap? I'm on the Discord too (username same as it is here). I'll be around off on and on all weekend. Next week I have a few things going on but for the most part I'll be around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Wait a tic. No one's Beast Balled Skarmory yet?! poo poo, why didn't I go straight for that?

I got this! I'll go after it next.