Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

Here's a question to y'all who use ad blockers on newspaper sites: what is your ideal ad experience? By that I mean if you're being honest is there any communication a newspaper can make to you that would make you go "oh ok, I'll whitelist you".

To be honest, if I'm doing anything other than shopping my ideal ad experience involves zero ads. Sorry. =(

edit for more content:

I think in general I'm just done with paying (with attention or currency) for a lot of media, at least for my own consumption. I'd be interested to know how Forbes' anti-adblock wall has gone for them because even though it's not hard to get around I just find myself not reading Forbes articles and not feeling like I've missed anything out of my life.

wateroverfire fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm very dubious of dismissing the entire field of advertising. Maybe no one would have their decision "consciously" influenced by ads, but that's also not the point. I don't use an ad blocker because I'm somehow immune to ads already but because ads are annoying.

The old joke that "half of all advertising spending is waste, but no one knows which half" contains a lot of truth, imo.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yeah this is likely the case. Like, I'm overstating adblock for our own sites because at the local newspaper level we're only seeing about 8% of users using an adblocker. To put it another way: ad blockers themselves are not a revenue problem for us (by us I mean local newspaper websites). The larger problem is that young people don't go to local newspaper websites. Ad blockers are a more existential threat

In the interest of furthering the discussion, here are some numbers straight from a Google Analytics rollup account of every one of our newspaper sites

It gets even funnier when you look at the mobile vs. desktop breakdown. Our core constituency is literally dying.

And I couldn't edit it enough to hide any distinguishing data, but of the 10 pages in August with the most pageviews it looks like this:

Homepage URL
Homepage URL
Obituary Page
Homepage URL
Obituary Page
Obituary Page
Homepage URL
Homepage URL
Newspaper E-Edition
Newspaper E-Edition

Our readership is dying and all they want to read is the obituaries. Local news is a stark loving landscape, y'all.

What would you say is the value add of local news? Like...from the inside perspective, what do newsmen think is going to attract people?

• Locked thread